Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ford V8 Logos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Jul 19, 2009.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

It's interesting to me that from 1932 until sometime in the '50s, Ford used the symbol "V8" as if it were their exclusive property, and nobody except Cadillac seemed to challenge them.

They used many different graphic expressions of the V8, but they only used it on Fords -- Mercurys were always badged "Mercury 8" or "Mercury Eight". These examples don't represent every variation; there were others that I haven't photographed, but this shows a lot of them. These are in roughly chronological order:

'33 ('32-'34 are very similar):
    [​IMG]

'35:
    [​IMG]

also '35:
    [​IMG]

'36:
    [​IMG]

'38 Dlx, I think:
    [​IMG]

'38:
    [​IMG]

'38 again:
    [​IMG]

'40 Std:
    [​IMG]

'40 Dlx (Std was the same except for paint color):
    [​IMG]

'51-'53:
    [​IMG]

'54-'55:
    [​IMG]

...and here's one of the rare exceptions to the rule from this era, a '30s Cadillac:

[​IMG]

Fiat built a small V8 engine in the early '50s, but there is a belief that they thought Ford really had some exclusive right to the mark, so they called their model an "Otto Vu" or 8V instead.

I don't believe that Ford really had any exclusive right to the "V8" designation, but it's interesting that apparently nobody challenged them on it. Even GM, when they were introducing important new OHV engines in the '49-55 years, never used more than a V (sometimes with a brand logo attached) to signify the presence of a V8 engine.

This isn't important at all, of course. I just find it kind of interesting.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  2. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

great post! Anyone have a breakdown of what V8 symbols were used in certain years?

3. Tony

Tony

Very cool post..
    It also brought to mind the new Ford Explorer's with thier retro V8 Logo's on the tail gate, and engine covers.
    I actually bought a bunch of those emblems for the hell of it..They have two way tape on the back and be stuck anywhere :)

sko_ford likes this.
  4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I added captions to the pictures above.

5. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

My favorite logos/badges have ALWAYS been the V with the 8 inside.

Way cool posting up the pics and captions.

dv

6. The V 8 told you that you were looking at an 8 cylinder car vs a 4 or 6, but in the case of Cadillac and some others, they had 8, 12 and 16 cylinder cars as well. Don't know that they did not challenge Ford so much as they did not want to be mistaken for our confused with ole Henry's stuff.

sko_ford likes this.
  7. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

[​IMG]

56 F100 grill?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

very cool to see them all grouped up like that. I like the one that looks like a little red motor

9. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

That was for the overhead valve Y-block. Definately cool.

10. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

a big thanks ! i was just getting ready to paint a v8 logo onto the radiator of my roadster pickup so it could be seen behind the grill insert ! looks like i have some thinking to do ! but i think i will go with the V8 design like those on the headlight spreader bar on 32 's !

11. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

I've got 2 cool V8 emblems one off a late 50's Rambler, and the other off and early 50's Dodge, I'll take a couple pics tomorow...they're pretty sweet.

12. The little Fiat/Simca V8 was a V8 60 from Ford's tooling. Was actually a better block than Ford's. The iron was a different alloy, that was harder, and the cylinders lasted longer. Also, they can be bored a full 1/8" over because the walls have more meat in them. We used them, when we could find them, in our midgets.

13. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

14. Actually Jac Nasser was keen on the V8 emblem from the early years and sent me a note and picture - so we developed a version and on the Explorer it went. (He had a strong interest in design - would call me nearly every day, when I was in Australia, "whats new Al" and want to come over to the studio just to get a "view of the future" as he said.) Very interested in the emblems that we used and wanted the Ford oval to be quite large with a darker blue background and centered on the vehicle front and rear- the darker blue didn't survive very long, nor did the use of the original Ford Motor Company script as the corporate identification symbol.
    Sorry guys, not exactly 'OT'.
    Al

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Dean, the Fiat 8V was a 2-liter OHV engine used in very limited series sports cars roughly 1952-1954. There were only about 200 8V engines made, and they were used in Siatas and Fiat 8V coupes.

It was not related to the French Ford V8 that was used in the Vedette and Comete (and subsequently Simca models in France and Brazil), which was as you say an improved V8-60.

Different animals.

16. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

17. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Well, Ford's lawyers created a shit storm with every business using the "V8" logo a few years back. I won't name any to save'm from hassles, but lots of companies got letters stating the intent to sue for exclusive rights - Ford has more lawyers and more (borrowed) money, so most small business people gave in at great expense to rework their logos and marketing materials. It turned out that Ford did not have any copywrites on the symbol. Maybe Mr. Nasser's interest? Or the 75th Deuce thing was the motive? Or maybe some lawyer just saw an income souce? Nobody seems to know for sure. It's the golden rule.

18. alchemy

alchemy

Not to be nit-picky, but the first pic isn't a '34, its a '33.

19. One of my favorites...

[​IMG]

20. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Yep, you're right.

21. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Was this directed toward companies doing repops of Ford products and/or copying Ford-designed logos into another medium? Or was it toward companies who used V8 logos of their own design (Toyota, for instance)?

22. mattybear

mattybear

In search of one of these if you may know where it came from.

23. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I think that feminine V8 is a new one based on a comic strip from the late60s-early 70s in an underground comic book, not Robert Crumb but of that era.

24. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Ford used many different variations of the V8 emblem over the years, sometimes a few different ones in a year.

25. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Hmmmm -- It appears that Silent_Orchestra is no longer among us, but I'd be interested to see pictures of any non-Ford V8 emblems that may have been used. I'd be interested to see Ford V8 logos that I've overlooked, too.

26. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

Still here, different name... I'll snag a couple pics and get 'em tonight for you.. One of the emblems went on the door of a '62 Rambler Ambassador 400, the other came off either a '55 or '56 Dodge, both are pretty cool..

27. KIRK!

KIRK!

Sure would have been a good thing to trademark.

28. thunderplex

thunderplex

this one from Brazil. A Y-block Falcon, ...1960's

Attached Files:

29. I love the old V8 logos!!!

30. Heo

Heo

on my 56 f100 the grill locked completly different
    the logo was the same though:p