Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is it wrong to ....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anchorboy46, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Some guys get pissed at me, cuz I refer them to another guy to do the labor on stuff that I'm not as skilled as the other guy. Is this wrong?
    If you know a guy that is better than you,cheaper than you, and just does a better overall job than you could,is it wrong to let others know about him? Come to think of it,my wife gets pretty pissed too!
    But there is this guy up in Tennesee that is good at fabbin up radius rods and such, and he does a good job, and he's inexpensive.
    It's like that in my business too. I have young hot shot welders that are fast and effecient, and I'm as slow as a snail. Jus old and buggerfied.
    Dont get me wrong, I'm pretty good at weldin and such, but hey,if,in life, you find a guy that is a little sharper, and little hotter than you, isnt it kool to let others know about him? I swear, sometimes it seems this guy fabs the parts for just a little over materials!!
    I guess I've slipped a cog er sumpin', but Jus can't help it. This guy is a good guy and I think he deserves the work I throw him.. just my two cents...

2. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

You must be pretty bored tonight eh?

3. cwl52

cwl52
    BANNED

im feeling insecure because people are mad at me. i should start a thread.

4. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

It's just that you are old and set in your ways. You arent trying to learn a new skill and or do it quickly. You like doing what you know best, and thats ok.

enjoy!

5. If you knew that someone else was better at "servicing" your wife would you send her their way? Chances are there is someone better than you at that also, but I'm betting that you would keep your mouth shut.

6. billygoat67

billygoat67

atleast your not afraid to admit there is someone better at it then you. unlike alot of guys that will cobble it up then rape the customer. too many of them out there.

7. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

I don't think its wrong & sure as hell don't understand why they would be pissed at you for trying to help them out.

8. cwl52

cwl52
    BANNED

great.

9. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

Thats called being a pro! If you wernt a pro, you'd charge the guy out the ass and have the other guy do the work for ya, So, no, your a good guy....Roach.

10. houston

houston

Good on you for helping out your fellow man. But I would hope he's doin the same for you.

11. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

I guess its alright to refer people to others that are more capable of doing the job, as long as the others don't mind the buisness. Some guys don't like to be overwhelmed with work, that other people send them...I know cuz it's happened to me when I got laid off last year...I had every Tom, Dick and Harry showing up at my door, saying they heard I was a good mechanic, and that I had descent prices...I told most to Fu*k right off..and when I found the sorce of the gossip...lets just say we are not so much good buddies anymore..Some guys just like to keep it low key...So be careful when you are refuring to another guy.

12. fat141

fat141

Sorry, but if you got laid off and business started coming to your door, why tell them to piss off ? Golden opportunity here to become self employed, work hard and become a successful business owner. Never get laid off again.
    If that doesn't work for you, then you could try spelling lessons.
    Have a Merry Christmas everyone
    Rod

13. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

The thing is I don't want to work from home, I had some jobs lined up already, and the people that were refered to me wanted work done for next to nothing...ect...as for spelling mate! I believe this is why I am a mechanic/machinist/truck driver, and not a lawyer or secretary!

14. rgaller

rgaller

Unbelievable, at first I thought you were a troll but now it seems that you are actually serious. You actually got mad at someone because they tried to send you work when you were out of a job? :confused:

15. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

I think you made a serious mistake. First, I agree, you should have had a talk with the person pushing your work. Set guidelines, he's doing you a favor. Now for the mistake, you can NEVER have TOO MUCH WORK. If the work comes to you, you set the terms, the cost, the time window. If you really don't want the work, give a stupid price like $5K for brake job and a 3 month wait. If they are willing to pay and wait you are foolish not to do it. You get into trouble when YOU MAKE COMMITMENTS YOU CAN"T KEEP. If you schedule the work, you can never have too much work....pure and simple.

16. billsat

billsat

I took my car to a shop in Raleigh, NC, that is owned by a HAMBER. He kept my car three and a half months, charged me $4300, did some hideous work, and if he's reading this, he knows I'm right. I only wish he'd have been straight up enough with me to simply have told me up front that the job was above his skill set. Instead, he kept my car forever and screwed it up. I took it to a highly recommended shop after this "pro" said it was done, and he second guy thought I was lying to him when I told him a real "hot rod shop" had worked on the car. It was that bad. I tip my hat to you Anchorboy - your level of honesty is the way things should be.

17. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

I'm not sure I follow your problem. How or why could anyone have an issue with you recommending work to somebody. First it has nothing to do with anyone, unless there is more to the story, such as, this guy has a bad reputation, but you push work his way anyway, or you have friends in the same line of work and you send work to this other guy, or you are in business, and you deal with people that offer this service and you recommend work to this guy anyway. The last 2 options are a moral and business etiquette dilemma, you and you alone will have to live with. If these deals effect nobody besides you, nobody has a right to bust your balls.

18. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

I didn't tell them to "Fuck right off" literally....focus guys, I was just trying to prov a point. But the way it went down for most was indeed that they did not want to pay. And they were ridiculous jobs, like "I got T-boned last week, and so and so said you can fix it"...things like that, jobs that would take weeks to complete in my home garage. Then my buddy got mad and said what u guys are saying. "well its better than not working!" But the fact of the matter is, that I was laid off, but also have regular under the table costomers, and I did take some of the xstra jobs, like engine swaps, tranny swaps, brak jobs...and the list goes on...All I am saying is that sometimes the guy you are pushing doesn't like to be pushed.

19. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

IMO, so long as you are not bad mouthing someone for no reason, what you say is no ones business but your own.

Too bad we have become so "*PC*" that we have to wonder, way sad...

20. wood470

wood470

It's not wrong but ya gotta make a livin and feed your fam so ya need to charge alittle just for no in who does the best work. Sub itout to the best craftsman. Everybody makes a little and the customer gets the best job. Nobody is the best forever and you will some day get old too. Gotta do somethin to survive. Sell who and what ya no

21. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

22. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I'm the first dude to tip my hat to someone who does anything better than me. It makes me work harder to be better at what I do. Hell man its good to think like that. Better than thinkin your shit don't stink when ya suck.

23. Muttley

Muttley

24. Looking through your posts I foresee you banned very soon. No loss either as just about everything you say is very negative and egotistical.-Weeks

25. fat141

fat141

Hope I didn't offend, didn't mean to,. Put me down as Aussie smart arse. (just for now)
    I am retired bricklayer and I'm not a flash speller either.
    Hope you get the work you want.
    cheers
    Rod :D:D

26. like mutley's cat said WTF?

27. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Have been in the automotive business for many years and have seen about everything............found out the hard way that I could not do everything, everytime. I have no problems sending a customer "down the road" to someone that can and will do a better job on something that I don't specialize in. It seems like the more we do, the smaller the niche gets.......but it relates to a better profit margin and way more satisfied customers. I do what I do best and leave the other chit for someone that can do that.

Mark

..and we are still looking for a good 49/50 Ford car hood and a few other 49 items...have a great 51 front clip compete for sale or trade.

28. Definately wrong. Far better for you to do a crap job than to refer a customer to someone that can actually do the job. :rolleyes:

Let 'em get mad at you the very best thing you can do is operate with integrity and if that involves sending someone to where ever it is that they can get the best job done then so be it.

Keep doing what you're doin'.

29. jscoma47

jscoma47

Useless thread from a guy who doesn't stand behind his deals anyway.............
    I still got your "new" alternator and "brand new" intake manifold ........that were both used and junk.

30. cwl52

cwl52
    BANNED

most likely.