Register now to get rid of these ads!

Missouri abandoned car title

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TooMany2count, Dec 22, 2009.

1. My brother has an vehicle that was abandoned on his property by someone he knows. The person has been asked several times over the past 2.5yrs to come get it but they won't. Can he get an abandoned vehicle title??? If so does anyone know what is involved in doing so....joe

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

a storage lein is a good start.

3. Does he want the car, or does he want the car gone? If he wants it gone, pull it onto the side of the road and call the police about an abandoned car.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

here in sunny California you do a lein sale. I did it for two cars left at my shop. called a lein service but I s'pose you could do it yourself too???

one I sold as a parts car with only the lein papers. the other I registered in my name and got plates and everything. easy as pie. the lein papers are as good as a bill of sale. no problems at the DMV

5. carbking

carbking

The situation can be resolved. I live in Missouri and HAVE acquired a lost title.

There is a specified method. But I am not an attorney, and the method may have changed since I acquired my lost title.

If he wants the car, have him contact an attorney.

If he wants the car gone, have him contact an attorney about a storage lien.

Jon.

6. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

7. Codeman

Codeman
    from SE Mo

Pretty sure you have to be a licensed tow company to use that one. I could be wrong though.

8. nutajunka

nutajunka

I agree as long as he isn't a friend. Sometimes friends need alittle help along the way. Thats what being a friend is about. Heck I always said they don't eat anything sitting there, if there is a correct place for them to sit that is. Country good, city bad!

9. austinsailor

austinsailor

I was at the highway patrol inspection garage this week and talked to them about this.

Take it to one of their inspection shops (van horn rd off of hay 50 in Jeff), they inspect it, someone (I forget who) sends a registered letter to the last address of the registered owner. The have 30 days to claim it. Then some paperwork and a few fees gets you a title.

I'd go to your regeon's inspection place (same place you'd get inspected for a salvage-to-normal title) and talk to thin for details. Takes. Some wait time but not so hard.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not to but in, but in most states you have to place a lien on the vehicle as it sits or have it inspected on site. In this state someone from the sheriff's dept usually does the inspecting on vehicles that have been on property for x amount of time. We then proceed with that paper work.

I believe that part 4 of this form http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/motorv/forms/768.pdf is what pertains to you. That along with a registered letter sent to the guy who left the car there (return required) requesting that he pick up the vehicle or relinquish the title should do it. You may not need the registered letter. The lien form sent in a registered letter might suffice too. Proof that you attempted to get him to pick up the car or hand over the title.

11. austinsailor

austinsailor

I expect that is the form you'll need, but you are going to end up getting the vin verified by law enforcement. Any police officer could do it, but most won't. Highway patrol will, sometimes they'll come to you. I have gotten lucky before.

I would call the DOR in Jeff, who'll handle it, but I'd get the current requirements in writing. And not just an email - I can show you several conflicting ones I've gotten from them. I now have official instructions, and they're different than the email's the sent me.

Oh, wait - it can't be true - our govt. Can't come up with consistant rules? Tell me it isn't so. I'm currently working on a bonded salvage title. Few even know it exists in Mo, including at the DOR. Think that isn't fun?

12. i do know here in wa. state you can call a tow company and have it removed, it's refered to as a "private impound" i know this to be gospel as whenever i caught a shitbag TWEAKER ripping me off and had the sherriff arrest them i always had the vehicle they were driving impounded because it was on my property. i used to wonder why they were stealing when they drove damm near new vehicles and the tow yard owner said they usually borrowed a vehicle from somebody. he said they all went to auction as the legal owners never came foward to claim them.