Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Plymouth Coupe Build!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959apache, Dec 14, 2009.

1. 1959apache

1959apache

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

nice mayflower. got an extra drive shaft??

3. brocluno

brocluno

I think these are way under utilized. Plymouths were the next lightest to Willy's and Henry J's. They do handle and they make great street machines. You're doing good :)

4. prost34

prost34

That brings back memories,my parents have a 40 plymouth business coupe,they built it in 1986 and still own it today,big block chevy,camaro clip,mopar 8 3/4 rear,black with all the trim,they do have a bunch of 40 plymouth parts if you need something,,,thanks

5. 1959apache

1959apache

no sir, didnt have one when i bought it. had a 350 chevy with a 350T that needed some help. I actually had to go to a salvage yard and snag one that was close to fitting.

6. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i love it.

there is am early 40's coupe project for sale locally on craigslist that is pretty cheap. i would drag it home if i wasn't sure my wife would murder me...

i love those plymouth coupes..

7. pokey

pokey

The 1940 Plymouth P-9 you have is rare, because of the condition I guess street rodding it was the best thing that could be done. These cars are so beautiful it's hard for a car builder to make them into something they are not. The trim in the front grill is so hard to find that rodding it is a alternative. I have one, in the beginning I had a 1941 coupe and two extra bodies. They were rough to say the least. I decided to find a better car and found one 2 mles from my house. The car was so complee that I could nor rod it. I drive it often and it's been in movies. It's in a movie that was just released this week call "My one and Only" You got something nice there do it justice. Build it nice street rod or not.[​IMG]

8. sololobo

sololobo

Lookin real fine man, I love these body styles. Having a love affair with my brothers 47 coupe at the moment. The friggin MoPars hook ya if you give them the slightest chance. We are thinkin about doing a 4-dr all cooled up. Pokey, that silver coupe is drop dead gorgeous, excellent treatment choice!! ~Sololobo~

9. 1959apache

1959apache

I was toying with silver as a color.. but damnnn that puppy looks good. I am loving the whitewalls. I wanted to do that on mine, but I also have some pretty rare rims on mine.. Enkei (spelling?) they dont make anymore.. the rear wheels are like p165 or something strange, really hard to find tires for that would fit. 200 bucks for street tires for the rear. Have you been able to find any parts places other than what you can find on plymouthdoctor or a couple other online parts places? any place different you found cheap parts at? Do you have any spares? lol (thanks for the compliments by the way)

by the way these cars look absolutely LOUSY if they are chopped.. I just want to strangle people for butchering them to make them into a rat rod.

10. pokey

pokey

Thanks that color is champane, it's like a tan with lots of effect. It's a dupont color. I was very luck whenI bought that thing as it had most everthing on it. there was a guy in Va that had alot of plymouth parts. If you go on the p-15 D-24 website there some people there that have plymouth parts and you might get lucky. I will help all I can.

11. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

I'll be watching for your build. I drug this one out of a barn alittle over a month ago. Not sure what to do with it, too many other projects. The engine is locked up very solid but these cars had a great suspension etc. Most here won't like the wheels on it(I don't either) but they are good rollers compared to the rotten ones that were flat on one side. Does anyone know where I can get some new baby moons that will fit the stock '40 wheels with the clips. The car came with a set of 15" and 16" stock style wheels. It would look better with WWW's and baby moons. Wish I had a drive train laying around to make a cheap driver out of it. Good luck on the build!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

12. pokey

pokey

It came stock with 16 inche wheels , there are some venders out there that have the stock hub caps. They always pop up on E-bay. I like the condition of the body. If you could find a 318 that would be great. Flatheads are nice however they are a bit slow on take off a T-5 behind it would be something else:)

13. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

Lookin Good! Aren't you the guy from Mooresville? I didn't know you were a Hamber too. I think I met you at the cruise in with my '40 P9 Coupe. Good luck with the build.
    Dave

Attached Files:

14. RodStRace

RodStRace

Another 40 guy here. Looking good. I have had mine just sitting for more than ten years, so don't feel bad!
    I did get the rear axle remounted and the exhaust done in the past year, so some progress has been made recently. Still need to sort the wiring, finish the fuel and cooling systems, and get a driveshaft made up. Here's a recent picture, more old pictures in my profile...

Attached Files:

15. I want to build one of these BAD!!!!!!!! I love this year!!!

16. Thats because you havnt seen one chopped the RIGHT way!!! You want to know how I know that about you?? Well when you refer to a chopped car as a "RatRod" you obviously dont know shit about kustoms.I just want to strangle people who refer to chopped cars as RatRods.:cool:

17. RodStRace

RodStRace

Attached Files:

18. 1959apache

1959apache

Your people reading skills lack a little lol (read my profile....) I have been around body shops and car restoration since I was old enough to hold a flash light. I have chopped many cars with family and friends the correct way...
    Just so you understand RatRods ARE customs out here... and they are chopped. People dont have money around here to do things the right way... but regardless these cars look lousy chopped (the quarter windows never look right and if they are there and look decent they dont match the rest of the vehicle meaning they look out of place... and if it isnt the quarter windows the contour of the trunk to roof doesnt match up correctly). I have yet to see one in 7 years that looks good at car shows OR on the internet. No offense to others who have taken that route, its just I am a stickler for that kind of stuff and it just doesnt look right to me.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  19. 1959apache

1959apache

Heya Dave! Yes that is me. I also had that little red MG Midget which was out of place at that car show. I traded the guy for the 59 apache that I have now... when I get this Plymouth up and rolling maybe we will have to hit up a couple car shows. I may be needing some window cranks at some point in time, have any extras?

20. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

Yea better no chop then a bad chop. Here's a picture of a 1941 Plymouth(similiar) from the Pileup that is chopped right. To me its a work of art.

Attached Files:

Richard Hartman likes this.
  21. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

Sure, I've got winow cranks and a ton of other stuff, mostly flathead, drivetrain parts, brakes, etc. a 35 year collection, but no body parts.

22. these cars are really under rated. built one in high school with chevy running gear and would love to have another one.

23. 1959apache

1959apache

Okay, that's perfect! very nice. I agree it is a work of art and whomever did that really spent a lot of time on that one lol. I love '40 Plymouths, the heart shaped grill and the headlight bezels look so lousy on '41's, as well as the fenders.. IMO anyways. If I had a choice between a 40 or 41 then i'd take the 40 any day.

24. Have you checked out the thread titled 41 chopped kustom plymouth??? Look at the last couple of pages and look for the bare metal coupe. After you look at that car , you tell me that they dont look good when they are chopped right.:cool:

25. farmer12

farmer12

Most quarter windows look out of place when chopped. Ian Loska chopped mine and did a good job. Even if I say so myself! Check out my album and maybe you'll agree. Good luck with yours and keep us informed on the chop!

26. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

I'm looking at a 40 Plymouth coupe Gasser I'm trying to get now.....I realy like theses cars..... Keep the pics comeing.......

27. oldtin

oldtin

Sent you a PM.

28. Dig your plymouth and dig whats in it !!!!!! Holy shit I bet that car runs.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  29. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks JeffSled! Engine being build right now, 392 with approx 500 horses. Will be sick!

Richard Hartman likes this.
  30. 1959apache

1959apache

sorry guys for the lack of posts. I have to wait for the weather to get a little better so I can sand blast the floors and interior in general. So not much progress on the plymouth since most of the other stuff is done. I am working on my other project though http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447466

I have to get them both trailer worthy because I am going to be forced to move out of my house within the next month or so.