Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Found something this morning that I had "hidden" from myself.

Attached Files:

2. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

The track looks like US 13 in Delmar Delaware and it looks like the late 60's (69 0r 70?)lettering job on the '09.

3. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Terry,

Must have been '69 or earlier and yes, it is Delmar.

My military service ended in Nov. 1969 and I returned to Delmar on a weekly basis for the 1970 season. Al was running a Chevelle then and tuned several other cars.

Attached Files:

4. Tom, any Nostalgia events in the works @ DelMar ?

5. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Steve,
    According to Chevy data, the shipping weight of Al's car was 3450. I'm not sure if NHRA used that weight or not. "Curb" weight is listed as 3610 which includes 121 for gas and 45 for water. (409 radiator):) I know those numbers don't add up right but those are the ones published. Maybe they didn't count the gallon of gas the car was shipped with?

6. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Verne, I'm 'pretty sure' NHRA used the factory shipping weight, not the "curb weight." That would put the 380 HP, 3,450 lb car very-nicely at 'the top' of C/S (at a 9.07 factor) in 1968.

7. colesy

colesy

Tom;
    That confirmation letter for Indy 69 is priceless!!! Thanks a bunch for posting it. It should be in the Junior Stock Museum and just as soon as I win the lottery, I'll build it $$$$$$$$.

Attached Files:

8. colesy

colesy

9. jack w braun

jack w braun
    from wayne mi

all the weights are taken from the AMA specs that each company sends to NHRA-IHRA , there like 30 or 40 pages with all the dimensions on each car and model--- all engine specs, body mesurments and on and on, even down to the weight of trans, when we were serious about a teardown we would go to the AMA specs

10. Merry Christmas-Happy New year-Happy Holidays to all

Dom

11. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Thanks Jack, I checked my AMA specs and the weight would be 3560 plus 13# for the super sport and about 7# for a radio.

Verne:)

12. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson

nhra did not add weight for options only for a heavier engine or transmission we used the nada used car guide for the shipping weight and called nhra to to make sure the engine body combo fit the class we wanted.

13. colesy

colesy

OK, not exactly Junior Stock but since we're on the subject of 409's, I thought I'd post this letter from a Ronnie Sox fan to Hot Rod magazine in the October 1962 issue. Great example of Ronnie creating a stir early on in his career.
    BTW, Note the "Big Money" sponsorship from Ronnie's Dad's Gas Station. Ah, the good old days!!!!

Attached Files:

14. Rob L.

Rob L.
    from New Jersey

I'd like to have the Quinn Bros. (Bill & Don) '55 Olds added to the list. I was building a '50 olds when rules changed after 1970 & Quinn's 55 was no longer competitive. So we became partners in the '53 Olds. Because Jack Mullins & Johnny Bartlett had the 3 speed manual working for them we decided to try it again. After Don made a new valve spring- loaded selector shaft & I ground the rev. idler in-half, and found a 10" disc and clutch without centrifigal weighted weighted levers. Bill shifted it to some 14.15-14.25 times at 99 mph.....But we had no SS/X the following year...why? Did the early Pontiac use this selector 3 speed also? Bill said his hand was allways sweating when shifting this trans!
    -Rob Ludwigsen

Attached Files:

15. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Amazing. I never knew that car existed.. :);)

16. 66Corvette

66Corvette
    from Maryland

Same to you and your wife Dom and all the rest on this forum.
    Terry Bell

17. colesy

colesy

Stock staging lane photo from the NASCAR Grand Points Finale at Atco, NJ October 14 & 15th 1967. I believe this was the very last NASCAR sanctioned event. That's Wayne Jesel's 56 in the foreground, anyone recognize any others?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  18. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Looks like Wayne Jesel looking back at the camera with his arm up......

19. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

You think Wayne would be directing traffic in the staging lanes if he was waiting to run? :rolleyes:

20. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Verne, I had a couple of B&W photos of Ronnie Sox's personal '62 Bel Air Sport Coupe, but unfortunately they were on my old computer that crashed. Ronnie even had a business car back then where he specifically mentioned super-tuning of 409's, in particular. He also shared driving duties of an assembly-line built aluminum nose'd '62 Impala for a fellow named Junior something in the Carolina area. I may have photos of that particlar car somewhere also. I'll look around. On a side note, I recently learned that Arnie 'The Farmer' Beswick purchased & raced a red-on-red '62 Bel Air Sport Coupe very earlier in 1962 after he could not get the Pontiac Catalina that he really wanted. After much pushrod-bending and only a few months, he sold the car and went back to Pontiacs.......and the rest is history! He quickly became Pontiac's greatest Drag Racing spokesperson. I wonder if Pontiac has any idea of the things that man accomplished for that company even after they left him hanging after the 1963 racing ban?!

21. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Well, found it but the pictures aren't loading for some reason. Ronnie Sox drove two different '62 Chevy's named "Mr. 409 I" and Mr. 409 II". The first car was actually owned by Dan Holyfield and was a Bel Air Sport Sport Coupe, while Mr. 409 II was the above-mentioned aluminum front end '62 Impala and "Junior Clark" was the name of the owner. I'll try to get the pictures up soon.

22. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

saw it in HRM that the new owner of the RAY ALLEN chevelle is going to peel off the lettering and "cruise" around a 91 mile original world champion LS6 convertible
    oh well , no room for heritage anymore

23. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson

in 1971 my brother and i had a 1966 chevrolet bel air four door sedan 220 hp that ran P/S
    this was before we switched to the wagon. sometime in april 1971 we went to a race at raceway park in englishtown nj that weekend the track removed the concrete starting line and replaced it with blacktop.the traction was terrible i had to launch the car at idle
    i do not know how many rounds i went but i ended up in the final against the 57 chev of
    malone-rodriguez & kennedy. the run was a double brake out.i ended up the winner in a close race
    does anyone out there have a raceway news that covered this weekend in 1971 i would like to have a copy. lost mine a long time ago.
    merry christmas to every one Robert

24. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

There is NO way that car has 91 REAL miles. IT was raced a LONG time. That car was actually raced with '71 front nose and rear bumper--it was painted white at that time. Maybe 91 miles after restoration. There is a lot of controversy surrounding that car, especially during and after the sale at Barrett-Jackson. I want to wish EVERYONE a happy and healthy holiday. Get those Jr.Stockers signed up for July!!! Until next time....Dave

25. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

[​IMG]

Took this shot 'in the pits,' between rounds, Englishtown WCS meet -- Spring 1971

26. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

[​IMG]

In case you missed the 'auction' piece, see --> http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3411600&postcount=1130 (post # 1130 )

*Ray was pitted about 30 feet away from the M,R,&K 57, shown in the previous post. By the way, that's Ralph Truppi (R.I.P.) in the brown suede jacket, with his back to the driver's door.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  27. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson

I asked ralph truppi why he sold the chevelle he said at the the time briggs chevrolet owned the car . When the car was sold i think the name on the side of the car was changed to the tape peddler robert

28. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Jake, thanks for the update!

All the best,

Pete

29. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Tom,

Much appreciated, you sharing this. Now, if I can only invent a time machine and go back in time....

Pete

30. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Rob, cool pic and history! Thanks! I never seen this car much less knew the Quinn Bros. were involved with anything but Camaros.

I hope you don't mind me taking the liberty of enhancing and resizing your photo (for better viewing).

[​IMG]

Best regards,

Pete