Register now to get rid of these ads!

Willys Aero, who has one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PhilJohnson, Dec 20, 2009.

1. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Just curious how many HAMB'ers own one. I got one myself. It is an extremely rusted 53 Lark with the split windshield. Runs good with the original 161 flathead six cylinder. One of these days I need to get motivated and start welding it up with my new TIG welder I bought.

A few pics below :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rusty1 and volvobrynk like this.
  2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool car.....make a neat little custom, gasser, street machine, etc.............

3. Zerk

Zerk

That thing would be a cool daily, especially with an overdrive trans.

4. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I know there are at least a couple of Aero owners on this site. Don't be shy :)

That is the plan minus the overdrive trans (low on cash). I rescued it from becoming sheetmetal patches for other cars. Guy I got it from had a bunch of rods he was working on and didn't have much interest in the Willys. It was for sale for a long time before I got it. At the time I took a chance on the motor, had no idea if it ran. Luckily my blind bet paid off.

There is a bit of rust on this poor puppy. The trans crossmember is held up by a chain on the passenger side. There are two holes drilled in the floor with a dog chain wrapped around a piece of retangular tubing inside the car. The driver's side is held in by the bracket for the master brake cylinder. The rocker panels consisted of wood being nailed to the car.

Loads of bondo and chicken wire everywhere. Apparently some guy (not the one who I bought it from) never heard of using metal as patch panels. Even pop riveted metal would have been more structural that the bondo mess I have been pulling off the car.

When I hopped in it for a spin the car flexed enough to the point where the driveshaft was hitting the trans tunnel a little bit. I shoved a piece of wood over the trans. When I sit in the seat it acts as a lever pressing down on the transmission :cool:

I have fixed some pretty badly rusted cars but this one takes the rust cake. Being a unibody only makes it that much more challenging. It'll take some doing but I think I can handle it :D I plan on coating the underside in drain oil once I am done to protect my hard work. It'll be driven in place of the deisel guzzling hog of a pickup I am driving now.

5. jmh

jmh

Mild custom?? John

6. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

I know where one is sitting in OHIO if you need parts!!

7. 32Auburn

32Auburn
    from Oregon

I used to have one. I'm sure you know this but your W in the grille was originally gold anodized to celebrate the golden anniversary of the Willys Overland company.

8. Those cars make me smile every time I see one. Brings back a lot of memories from High School. My buddy had one and we had tons of fun with that little car. Good to see them finally getting some respect.

No, I don't have one but I'd grab one in a minute if the opportunity arose.

9. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I would like to have one one day

10. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

Attached are some pictures of my 1952 Willys Aero. I bought it in 2003, did some minor body work, lowered the crap out of it, had some fun with it, then sold it in 2005 to someone in Minnesota. One picture shows the modified front end pieces, control arms shortened 2", spindles moved up on the uprights about 4".

Attached Files:

11. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Hello Phil.. Thats cool..

12. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Awesome, does it have a split windshield?

[​IMG]
    A picture of the skillfully done repair job :eek: I think the guy must have used wood from an old deck because it is painted red as you can see in this picture.

13. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I know of a hardtop, sitting, waiting for someone to save it...it is complete minus the rear window...

IN PLAINER WORDS - it's FOR SALE...!!!

R-

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  14. 55courier

55courier
    BANNED

There is one here in the Jefferson City, mo area. complete $300.00 I looked it over but could not bring myself to buy it.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  15. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Phil, cool car. I like Aeros; they're really neat cars. Didn't know all that front suspension work was possible, though. If I had one, I'd definitely try to slam it.

What state are you in? Just curious, 'cause I like the view through your windshield. Some days, the city bugs me.

Happy Holidays!

16. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

I have a 52 with a 394 Olds, Olds rear, stick etc. Hope to have it on the road this summer, but we all know how time flys. I don't know how to post pictures; my son does so I'll try and get him to post some when he is in the area.

17. gary mundy

gary mundy
    from Kansas

I have a 1952 willy ace. Put it on a 1982 olds floorpan fit perfect has a v6 oddfire nailhead buick in it. Hope i don,t get to much flagg over the nailhead part but thats what buick called them in 1966 look on my site for willy

18. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I let one slip through my fingers many years ago and have regretted the decision ever since. It was offered to me for free and probably ended up at the crusher.

19. KIRK!

KIRK!

I have seen only a couple of these in person and I LOVE them!!

20. Spity

Spity

Love these cars, I plan on owning one in the next couple years.

21. wow, thats a cool ride. id never seen one before.
    thanks for educating me!

22. 59ab

59ab

Had a '52 Aero Lark. Sold it to a neigbor. He still has it.

23. possom dodger

possom dodger
    from 47024

heres mine

Attached Files:

24. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

[​IMG]

Sweet another Aero owner :) I think I might have seen your car on another board.

25. PhilJohnson....I do not own a Willys Aero but Royalshifter posted this Simca coupe in another thread and it caught my eye in relation to your original post. Now the Willys is not quite as elegant as the Simca, but A: their shapes are kind of similar and B: that hot little Simca's quarter-mile mojo might be a good direction to head towards.
    I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...

[​IMG]

26. dmackustom

dmackustom
    from wichita ks

I had one for a bit and let it go. I would like to find one again. I have some good ideas for a mini sled

27. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

28. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I definitely see some similarities between the two. The Aero looks like a much stodgier version of the Simca. But I have always had a thing for stodgy looking sedans, especially the el-cheapo versions with no options.

I am still entertaining the idea of plopping a 302 V-8 into it backed up by a 3 speed. I like the idea of trying to retain the stock column shifter. A while back (six months ago) I had some young fellas stop by to look at an old truck I had for sale. They never seen a three on the tree before. At the time I had three column shifted vehicles. I am not a big fan of autos and somehow a floor shifter just wouldn't fit the bill for me in this thing.

29. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Wisconsin. Rural central Wisconsin. I could get away with taking a couple hour nap in the middle of my road if I wanted to. Not much traffic around here.

30. If you have the tools and time....Design-wise I might suggest you move the rear axle and wheel-well forward a few inches (4? 5?). The stock location of the rear wheels on the Willys Aero is too equal-distant between the rear edge of the door opening and the rear of the car; moving it forward would give it a more sportier proportion....Just a thought!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Viva la Difference !! It's a small change but it makes it just a little more sporty...