Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods From modern hot rod, to 1960's rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by freebird101, Dec 19, 2009.

1. freebird101

freebird101

Guys I got a plan that I have had on my mind for some time and have to tell EVERYONE... my '63 Comet has some modern touches as seen in this photo [​IMG]
    the tach and under dash (water temp,volt meter and oil pressure) gauges are kinda.. well billet/modern.. something I do not like as much as vintage gauges.. so I got my aunts and uncles to hopefully chip in and get me the moon versions of those [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    change them except place the tach on top of the dash so when we get a new speedometer cable, we do not cover the spedo. after that hupla, we will most likly fix up the engine bay to make it more vintage. As you can see in this vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82UteeIlfoY (skip up to 1:59 to see engine well) my pops does not like the oval air cleaner for 2 reason's
    1. it is too large and does not look very 60's
    2. it interfears with the ignition system
    so I will go back to Moon to get the Kalifornia Mushroom
    [​IMG]
    and after that the valve covers will look kinda weird so (maybe) "powered by ford" valve covers
    [​IMG]
    well if all goes according to plan, I will have a thread of this by February/January
    please leave any feedback or help:D

2. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I'd rather see some block-script Ford (or better yet, Mercury) valve covers than the Power By type. Some Cal Custom finned aluminum jobs would look good with that air cleaner too.

-Dave

3. freebird101

freebird101

do they have any mercury valve covers for 289's

4. freebird101

freebird101

5. brocluno

brocluno

Yes they do, but they are rare. My brother in law (building a 52 Merc Woody) has a small block FoMoCo with Merc valve covers. Took him many moons to find a pair, but they do exist. Try looking to Canada as they made more Merc models and trimmed them somewhat differently :)

And about going back in style - excellent :)

6. freebird101

freebird101

how much for a pair

7. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

whats wrong with the cobra stuff in you youtube vid?

8. Did you just bump your own thread :eek:
    Man, that's just wrong.

9. freebird101

freebird101

well grits what it was is that once I posted about 40 photos of a car show and no one ever wrote a thing so I fell I want people to see it and I had bothing else to say but bump

10. freebird101

freebird101

well thanks guys for the help, can I get some more

11. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Are those cobra valve covers or are they ford motorsport covers? The motorsport ones are kinda 80s but cobra covers debuted 65ish. I'd personally be reluctant to go to the stamped steel ones, as the low-relief lettering will visually disappear into the engine bay clutter and look plain.

Tip based on what I saw in the vid......never check the oil on a running engine. #1 it doesn't tell you anything so there's no point. #2 There's spinning parts near the dipstick and on some engines you'll break the stick off.

good luck

PS- til you get good at rowing that 4 speed, consider either a shift light or rev limiter or keeping the new tach. The moon tach is short sweep and will be impossible to read when the car is driven in anger. You just won't have time to pull your eyes down onto the dash and focus on that little area. Been there, done that.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  12. freebird101

freebird101

I think they are ford Motorsport ones... we have learned to dell with the shifter, it just had to be worn in......if I get the the Kal mushroom and the cal customs and used red fuel lines, Would it work?

13. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

That's cool, it sounded like you'd just gotten the car and hadn't had time to learn redline by ear. Most people overshoot by a long ways if they can't read the tach needle while looking at the road.

I'd go for cobra covers but everyone is different.

You could also ditch the tach entirely and use a shift light tucked somewhere discreet. Hide the pill box under the dash, and they make LED heads that will fit inside dash ducts.

car sounds mean, good luck

14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I just watched the video. I would like to see the raised white letter tires go away - those along with the Cobra stuff in the engine bay all say "I wanted a Mustang, but all I could afford was this Comet" and I don't think that's the case with you at all. Sharp car, I think tour sixties touches are gonna go well with it.

-Dave

15. freebird101

freebird101

thanks Dave, your a good person.
    So I now have a little change. instead of powered by ford valve cover, we may sell the Cobra intake and valves in a set for around $100-160 and use that money for the cal custom valves
    [​IMG]
    but now I am wondering,what on the out side can give it a 60's look?

16. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

17. freebird101

freebird101

18. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

get some sw gaugse and a sun tach leave the cobra stuff its very cool dont fuck up a original car maybe some american mag wheels

19. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

The sixties were an era of big change in aesthetics, so it really depends on what part of the decade you're shooting for. In 1965, my dad put Mickey Thompson 5-spokes (we'd call 'em Raider tri-ribs today) on the front of his parents' '65 GTO ragtop, with chrome reverse wheels on the back. At the same time he had Cragar GTs on his 426 '64 Sport Fury. As for tires, a skinny whitewall, a blue line, or a redline would all look good on your car.

For more of an early decade look, gloss black steelies with a chrome spider and skinny whitewalls would look good.

I personally wouldn't molest the exterior beyond changing wheels and tires. I'm of the opinion that these cars look best as the advertisement art showed them - slightly lowered and very little else.

So you mentioned 289s, and your car has 260 badges. What are you actually running?

-Dave