Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects It's as bad as it looks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1/2done, Dec 19, 2009.

1. johnboy13

johnboy13

If the metal was really hot when the fire department hosed it down, then it could have been hardened, and be very brittle. IF that's the case, there could be headaches when working the body straight, it will just break when it's hit with a hammer.

2. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

well said!

3. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

How about this..... Throw it on top of a brush pile and start the works on fire. Then let it cool down slowly :D

4. Good luck to you, a very desireable car to devote your energy to.

5. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

The metal still seems malleable where the roof has been worked. I don't think it got hot enough to harden. I'll tell you different if I end up welding multiple cracks.

6. Look on the bright side...........you don't have to remove any old paint.You can do it. Good luck.

7. shock733

shock733
    from Florida

if you were smart enough to sell your other car to tcb, you will do good with this one. its a round

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL, that made my day. At least you are more than realistic on this. Good luck with it however you end up doing it.

9. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

I'm wondering if you had to sell your gasser! This thing is going to cost a fortune to build.Not to poop on your party "BUT" a burnt car is going to be tough!

10. brocluno

brocluno

Naw, put some frame rails for a truck under it and build that dirt tracker. Pretend the dents were hits and bangs on athe main straight in front of the grand stands and have fun :)

11. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Good for you! Your spirit is still alive after having to make a difficult decision. That car will be bad from the brink! If you happen to be looing for a frame and running gear there's a complete chasis near me for sale.It has a running flathead,and drive train, susupension and brakes. It looks really solid. They want $2900 Canadian.

12. edweird

edweird

My 37 was burnt from the cowl on back, then sat outside for about 10 yrs.i made a sweet little rod out of it for very little money. I didnt spend a lot of time on the body and it still gathers a crowd.

Attached Files:

Lil'Alb likes this.
  13. edweird

edweird

Oh yea , good luck to ya!

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Don't let the naysayers rule the day. Some of the best accomplisments have started with an impossible dream. Keep us informed as you proceed.

Frank

15. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

it has a real nice patina from the burn

16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I like your attitude, if I have anything laying around the shop you could use I will donate it to the cause for the price of shipping. Just send me a PM!..................
    edweird, nice '37 .........

17. Rusty52

Rusty52

I love a '40 Fords! Good luck saving that one, looks like you've got a lot of time ahead of you. In the end it will be worth it if it works.

18. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I'm not looking to have it done next week. I may get the metal work done and pass it on if it's going to be put on hold indefinitely. I really just wanted to see if I could save the car and learn something new in the process. If I get to be the one that drives it, cool. If not, hopefully I'l get a ride in it someday.

And yeah, I did have to sell the gasser. My consolation in that is the buyer said he has a 392 he's going to replace the SBC with that I put in due to budget constraints.

I can live with that.

19. edweird

edweird

thanks!

20. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

I'll have to watch this build. I love a watching the tough ones.

21. B Lawrence

B Lawrence
    from Ham.

It"s still a Forty....what else can you say. Try it you"ll like it.

22. carbuilder

carbuilder

I have over the years rebuild several fire damaged parts for customers. It can be done it is a little more touchy to work with depending on how hot it got, but one good thing is you have pattern material to make new panels now. Go for it & keep us posted. First thing I would do is get the doors & trunk fitting then start from the floor up you definitely will need a good base to work from have fun & lots of pictures please. As George Perpard would say I love it when a plan comes together.

23. tudormike

tudormike

I'll be watching this one. My 40 tudor sedan hasn't burned but it does have rot where the rear fenders mount.

24. Shon Wittenbarger

Shon Wittenbarger
    from Georgia

Go for it. Look at the El Matador, it was a lot worse than yours and look how it turned out.

25. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I've spent about 8hrs over the last two nights working on the roof.
    I started by knocking it back into something that resembled a roof with a rubber hammer.
    Then I started to shrink and planish working from one edge. toward the other.
    You can pretty much tell where I left off.

I have a shrinking disc ordered from Wray Schelin that was shipped today so hopefully I'll have it before Christmas and be able to work on final smoothing this weekend.
    I also scored a frame, complete front axle, spare beam, 2 sets of bones split and unsplit and rear leaf springs for $200.00.
    I think I did alright.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    winr likes this.
  26. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My initial thoughts were hydrogen embrittlement to the cooked metal. I know nothing first hand about embrittlement but only what I have read. But you proving you have the determination to do what you set out and save one from the crusher. Awesome start man. Roof look great. most of us are to timid to try this at home.

27. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

wow, the roof came out well!some cars look worse after a hailstorm..
    Very good job!!

28. Captain Carson

Captain Carson
    from N.Z

Nice one man - hey shit happens to all of us and sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I sold my car when I had my first child and waited 8 years ( thats a lot of reality TV envy) to buy my next car - two years since and everytime I walk into the garage I dig what I see and dream aboutr the next step in the process every night before I fall asleep. Good luck with that project and keep the dream alive brother!

29. solid

solid

The roof is proof that thing can be beat on, and not crack the metal too bad. Incredible job. You will have alot more time than money in it, but thats what it's all about.

badgascoupe likes this.
  30. Adam.Perrault

Adam.Perrault
    from Phoenix AZ

I am very impressed. the roof looks great!