Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much to chrome this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adamshumard, Dec 19, 2009.

1. adamshumard

adamshumard

I want to chrome 2 of these caps. They are in really nice shape and I only need the face of it chromed, not the back. What is a ballpark amount I can expect to pay? And also any recomendation on somewhere to get it done.

Attached Files:

• cap.jpg
      cap.jpg
      File size:
      13.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Are you sure they aren't stainless? If so they would just need a polishing job and that you can do yourself with a little elbow grease.

3. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Look at the recent post about the cost of chrome plating, it'll blow your mind.

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm not a millionair, but I play one at my chrome platers.

Frank

5. BadLuck

BadLuck

Just got my bumpers and grill done.... and Im STILL walking funny:)

6. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

spray can chrome paint!.....its an option!

7. Those look to be off an early 80's Pontiac? It will be cheaper to find a couple NOS ones than chrome those. Have you tried a GM dealer? Sometimes they surprise ya with stuff they can still get. Can't give you a chrome price but you're gonna pay way more than you thinking.

8. tooslow54

tooslow54

9. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

That's freakin funny sh**

10. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I'm guessing around 300-400 for two. Good chrome places alot more. Cheap chrome places a little lower.

11. adamshumard

adamshumard

They are steel and they were a "dull" finish new. Anyone know of a place doin spectra chrome in the midwest?

12. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

My chrome plater doesn't use lube...

13. Old61

Old61
    from PA

Is that good or bad or you just don't need...:rolleyes:

14. duste01

duste01

If you know anything about the process, you would know that it cant be done to one side.

15. Chrome is becoming a luxury most cant afford. I have a set of 4 old chrome slots.....cool as hell. 2 are 15"x10" and 2 are 15"x7". I wanted to have them chromed for my F100. "It will be around $1,000.00 if the rims are ready to plate." :eek:
    Needless to say, they havent been re-chromed.

16. cretin

cretin

I was just wondering about this. That is what I thought, but we just got a bunch of parts back from chrome at my work and there are a couple of bullets that are only chromed on the outside. How is that possible?

17. Adam, I had a set of caps like that on my 79 Catalina and they were stainless steel. Pretty much all of the Generals caps in the late 70S into 80's were stainless with the exception of the dog dishes which were mostly aluminum and then they started making them out of plastic. Put a magnet to them, you might be suprised. Mike.

18. crash11049

crash11049

the rear would not have to be show quality, and he would save on labor cost. The time involved in surface prep and EPA regulations is what makes chrome plating so costly.

19. Polish them.Chrome on stainless?I use to send trim pieces to get painted or powder coated. The paint wont stick.It would crack like egg shells and flake right off.So it could happen with chrome.A F'n nightmare. Especially on a clients car. I would send them to a good polishing shop.

20. 8-Track

8-Track

That hubcap is made of stainless steel and you can polish it yourself too a high luster, you can also send it out to be Electro- polished and it will look almost like chrome when done.

21. HotRodDaddy-O

HotRodDaddy-O

I believe the whole part is plated (dipped), but only the outside was polished.

22. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Those caps are STAINLESS STEEL, Take them o the Polisher and he can buff them to look like Chrome for way less

23. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Harbor Freight (satan's tool store) has a decent polishing wheel for your grinder. Some rouge and there ya go.

24. duste01

duste01

It has to be suspended in electrolytic setting suspended by an annode in the middle of a non conductive tub. It has to go through a number of processes that apply copper, nickel, and then chrome, then polished. if it was only the outside, the inside was plugged or the open part was facing down with a pocket of air inside.

25. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

This thread has been going for two days and you have not tryed a magnet yet. If the magnet sticks your screwed if it does not you just saved $1,000

26. adamshumard

adamshumard

As I said earlier, They are steel. Checked them with a magnet first thing. I bought them online thinking they probably were stainless. My mistake. Now I'm looking for a solution.

27. Abomb

Abomb

If they were'nt stainless steel, they'd be solid rust.....BTW, magnets stick to stainless....nobody made plain steel hubcaps, unless they were painted. Take everyones advice, try polishing them. If you have more money then time, send them out to be polished.

This guy is in Kansas....

http://www.squeakysmetalpolishing.com/

28. adamshumard

adamshumard

I actaully wondered about it bein a shitty grade stainless. I know from my experience as a body piercer the good jewelry was never magnetic, but the cheap stuff was. I'll try a buffer on it when I get a chance. Maybe I'll get a delightful suprise.

29. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Magnetic SS isnt shitty grade, it's just different content and has different properties, It is considered martinsidic as opposed to austinetic

btw Both of those spellings are completely fucked

30. 416Ford

416Ford

I hope for your sake they are Stainless.

In case anyone else is looking for pricing on spectra chrome.

I had this shop Essex in Grand Rapids Mi give me a ball park to do my 41 side grills and he was $300 to $400.