Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roadrace cars... vintage, nostalgia, historic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zman, Dec 18, 2009.

1. C.R.Glow Neon

C.R.Glow Neon
    from stockton

more pics, '08,'07 @ sear pt. and monterey historics, RD

Attached Files:

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

And why is turning right off topic? :rolleyes: It's easy enough, it's even in the title, and the first post. There are plenty of threads with roundy round cars.

3. VanHorton

VanHorton

[​IMG]

Where is all of the 550 love? i can look at these things alll day, such a beautiful and purpose built machine....

4. VanHorton

VanHorton

[​IMG]

how about one from one of Ryan's own posts?

or how about the beautiful 904?
    [​IMG]

5. VanHorton

VanHorton

i feel like there is so much inspiration we can take a way from these type of cars, especially as far as simplicity and design go...

6. There were hotrods before dragracing, and the first dragraces weren't even on roads, they were on airstrips, and since it was something new, I'm sure the high performance car community brushed it off as a fad. Its a recurring theme. I figure hotrodding is taking any vehicle and improving its performance, tapping its potential using your head, your 2 hands, and the parts and tools at your disposal. Carroll Shelby took an outdated sports car and a Yankee passenger car drivetrain, thought about it, built it, and went toe to toe with the best road race machines of the time. To me, that guy is a hotrodder....now where was I going with this?... oh yeah, I really like this shit, keep 'em comin', cuz I'm getting some ideas and I've got a fresh spool on the mig...

7. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

8. ZRODZ

ZRODZ

Ol' Yeller was fabulous, but my favorite was Ken Miles "Flying Shingle" that was in your first post. It didn't have the v8 power of Max's Ol' Yeller but it sure was fast and tidy, I think it weighed in at something like 1500lbs or less.

9. ZRODZ

ZRODZ

Oh yea? and your avatar says what?

10. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

I've ot to put a plug in for the Healeys. Here's one of my favorites, a '54 Healey 100 with a 59 418 CI Olds, 37 LaSalle tranny and 57 Chevy posi.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. whatttt none of these yet :D:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Hmmm. I guess you missed the point or the joke. Depends how you look at it when you re-read the posts.

Here's the link to the AUTORACING 1894-1944 thread just in case you missed that too. Plenty of roundy round cars there.
    You might even find something like this.

www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380814

[​IMG]

13. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

14. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Jimmy,
    Great photos of The So-Cal. An Australian built Flathead powered car with lots and lots of history. Goes like stink too.

Where were these pics taken?

15. Circa 1929 Dusenburg Indy car straight 8 at the 2005 Miller Meet.

Attached Files:

16. ZRODZ

ZRODZ

Didn't miss the joke, just pointing out the irony in it. I liked the comment.

17. boldventure

boldventure

Some from Monterey '09.

Attached Files:

18. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Made my day. Thanks you guys.

George Reed and his Testa Rossa Ferrari about to lap Briggs Cunningham's Tipo 60 Birdcage in the September 22, 1961 Watkins Glen Grand prix. He finished 7th overall. photo courtesy Bill Green.

Attached Files:

19. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

1929 Ford Speedster

Attached Files:

20. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Slim,
    I think you meant to say the Sep 22-23 1961 Seneca Cup SCCA Nats
    (Cameron Argetsinger would get ruffled with all the last minute planning and lobbying he did to get the F1 US GP to come to town on Oct 8, 1961 -I was lucky enough to be there)
    Cunningham's name sure fits with the Seneca Cup and I believe he and his star driver - Ted Tappett- I mean Phil Walters :) paced one of the first Seneca Cup races in Le Monster.
    Those were great days and drivers and racers were able to move and compete in all sorts of racecars.
    'Ted Tappett' started out in street rods, then midgets, then jalopys before moving on to sportscars.
    [​IMG]

1962 photo of the WG paddock - fun when it rained
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  21. Yep, great car.
    Pics were taken at Speed on Tweed '07

22. metalshapes

metalshapes

23. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Attached Files:

24. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

While it's not the rip-roaring racecar most folks think about when you say "vintage", here's the 1963 SAAB that my friend Jeff and I prepared for Historic Rally. We converted it to a 1967 Monte Carlo engine (850cc, three carbs) which all the experts said was impossible without a custom hood. The engine is a three cylinder, two stroke that's been prepared for racing with full-race porting (porting = cam on piston port engines), full circle crank, high compression lightweight Venola pistons and a replica of the SAAB factory expansion chamber. We've updated the transmission to a built-to-the-hilt later four-speed. The floor and all suspension pickup points has been reinforced and all the suspension arms have been plated for strength. The shock mounts have been converted to double shear. Rally tires are no longer made that will fit the skinny tires and skirted fenders - so we're using Mickey Thompson Mini-Mags which are usually found on the front tires of vintage baja bugs or baja rail buggies. The dash features a circa 1969 Terra-Trip rally computer and factory rally gauges. The auxiliary lights are Cibie Super Oscars. The suspension and brakes have been restored to better than new and we're running Bilstein shocks. The only thing not vintage about the car is the safety equipment - the FIA cage, the Recaro seats with current FIA certs and the SFI tagged belts.

Unlike 95 percent of the cars in this thread, this a a vintage race car that's actively RACED at 10-10ths today. This car is driven in stage rally events, with unrestricted speed limits on gravel, mud, dirt, and hopefully in snow and ice this winter. We damaged two pistons at the last event, but the motor will be back together for New Years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Stone

Stone

Great thread.

26. metalshapes

metalshapes

27. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

[​IMG]