Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roadrace cars... vintage, nostalgia, historic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zman, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Shhhhhhhh, let it go Larry, it's not worth the loss of sleep man.:D This thread rocks, thanx Z.

2. My favourite. Aussie built Maybach special, engine is out of a WW2 German light tank or half track.
    front end is Studebaker
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

[​IMG]

My XK120SE was ordered as a race prep. C Type cams..7/8th" torsion bars..power lock Dana(salisbury)..windscreen on drivers side.
    It raced from 1953 to 1956 as C/P..then like many euro cars was fitted with American V8 power and moved to C/M class.
    It raced until mid-late 60s with SBC power,
    I bought it in 1973-4.
    One aluminum bucket..gutted interior..just aluminum sheet and gauges, Roll bar..5 point harness..dual radiators..one in right wing (fender).
    Still has some rather rare parts from Jaguar..that the purists like to moan about as it is a "lumped"..SE racer.
    I restored it to somewhat period..camel humps..T-10..etc. ride height is 3"s lower than stock..and rides on 15" E Type wires..but 6" wide.
    Levers revalved..shockmounts modified..torsion bars rotated...in modified receivers.
    Cross braced front frame member was weird..adjustable to pull massive frame in tension in front of SBC.
    [​IMG]

This is the third build on this car for me. The last..as we will be together until the end..
    [​IMG]
    Engine set back qualifies as mid engined..well behind front wheels. I moved it further back and lower in build #2.

Much of the chrome is original..stored and boxed since 1953. Never rusted..raced out of California..until I brought it to Arizona

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  4. metalshapes

metalshapes

Some of my favorites... :)

TZ1 001c.jpg

numriser0027rc9.jpg

TMP256.jpg

img03.jpg

presse2.jpg

beast1 the Jardim special.jpg

1956vonfrankenberg01en1.jpg

Udo%20Siekmann.jpg

0105_mp_etc_color.jpg

250gtbreadvan.jpg

bwfred2.jpg

6887_3_side_bw.jpg

!0 pikes peat.JPG

080a.png

img587ng4.jpg

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

GREAT THREAD! Thanks for starting it, hope some early '50's Hot Rods that raced SCCA get posted. Once Santa dropps off a new camera I'll be adding what I've got.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

LISTER? I think so, one of the best looking Sports Racers ever IMO. [​IMG]

7. metalshapes

metalshapes

8. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yep.

A Costin bodied Lister.

A lot of the ones that ran in the States were SBC powered instead of the inline 6 Jag.

I think this was one of those... :)

9. Gorgeous - all of them, metallic poetry in motion, Duffs Eliminator still does it for me & maybe the Mazzer

10. metalshapes

metalshapes

There was a Lister Costin Coupe as well...

40819.jpg

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm trying to remember what body is on the Vic Edelbrock LISTER. Years ago I hauled a Chevy LISTER from JFK to a local collector, bare aluminum, unrestored, the greatest think I've ever had in my rear view mirror for an hour. Don't remember the coachbuilder on that one, but it just looked evil!

12. metalshapes

metalshapes

I'm pretty sure his is a Costin bodied Lister as well.

13. 37Nash

37Nash
    from East coast

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Check out the auto racing 1894-1944 thread. One of the best ever....

15. Still boggles my mind that an engine originally designed for firefighting equipment went on to become a world-beating Formula 1 powerplant....
    [​IMG]

16. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

17. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Hear Hear. ......and the Sprintcar thread coming in a close 2nd.

Thanks exwestracer.

18. C.R.Glow Neon

C.R.Glow Neon
    from stockton

pics from 2008 sears pt. vintage race, more to come. RD

Attached Files:

19. The 72 Charger sitting in the Paddock at Lemans was the first car used for driver training and practice in the NASCAR RETRUNS TO LEMANS project headed up by Christophe Schwartz. It is a recreation of a car sent to Nascar in 1976 (Herschel Mclure.) I supplied the motor from my tiny machine shop in Ameliasburgh Ontario. Car is currently orange and has been to many European tracks including Nurburgring . I built him a 400 BB Dodge because of the short stroke it would be super reliable. It has withstood four years of hard running. Engine produces around 500 hp. (not less than 485 not more than 510 based on chassis dyno results using the 80/85% averaging))The small Canadian flag is just visable on the air cleaner in this picture. The chassis came from Washngton state. The engine was installed by the famous Oliver Zinn. HERR MOPAR fuer Deutschland. It was for me a privilage to have built and supplied this motor. It was the last customer engine built in my shop before i sold the equipment. Seemed a good time to quit to me with older age and failing eyesight knocking at my door. I use the "cabbage rule". QUIT WHILE YOUR A HEAD!
    Don

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

lol, luckily I've already poo'd this morning.

it is, but I wanted to see if we could do something more geared towards the cars that turned left and right. A whole lot of those cars turn left only. :rolleyes: I've been thinking of doing my roadster as more of a ol' yeller influenced ride than a straight up hot rod. And I've been kind of hoarding pics that motivate me with that in mind.

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

yum

Attached Files:

24. 41woodie

41woodie

I grew up in Muskogee, Ok. the home of the Jim Leake auto collection. I was driving across town one day and turned to see a D-Jaguar of Leake's driving down the street in the middle of town. I was never the same after that.
    Forgetting what Jag has become nowdays they built some of the most beautiful cars ever graced with four wheels. D's, XK-120s, XK-E's were design homeruns, if you can make a four door sedan like the 3.8's look great you can build anything.
    First car I bought after college was a used XK-E, the thing was a mechanical nightmare and leaked water like a submarine with a screen door but man was it cool looking.

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

mmmm

Attached Files:

26. Buildy

Buildy

27. [​IMG]

That is just Bad ASS!

28. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia