Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early hurst history - trivia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dennis kirban, Dec 13, 2009.

1. blojectedj

blojectedj
    from oklahoma

I don't know, just bumping because it's interesting.

2. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

See the question I posted in #28 at the end. So far no one has hit that correctly yet. I run my info on several different automotive forums. None as huge as this one is. Not sure if others have suggested it or what but this is the only one that I am on that does not have sub headings to break things down. I realize since it involves such a wide scope of subjects it would be difficult to categorize.

Lucky a friend of mine has told me how to figure out how to find my posts to keep info coming for those that find it interesting.

I started my connection with Hurst in the mid to late 1970s. Many old timers will remember that Hurst had an iron clad warranty on their shifters. You have a problem send it to them they would fix it.

I started in the GTO business which was the mother load of Hurst shifter customers. My niche was GTO customers would rather send me the shifter pay a few bucks as they knew they would get their exact shifter back and quickly also.

Be surprised what a dozen donuts in the morning does to get quick service. Try it sometime.
    (I did that same formula when they built an addition on to our house years ago. I numbered each box of donuts. I said I would bring them a dozen donuts every day free if they had the addition completed by the time I delivered box #50. It worked.

I thought it was quite unique that a major aftermarket car supplier of a well known shifter was not located in California like all the other big names in the day. Here was Hurst located 10 minutes from where I lived. Today I have as customers Isky-Crower-Erson names that I remember from years ago.

Here is another question that I betcha 99% of the readers of this forum do not realize that Hurst accomplished with GM that made them from what I am told the first company to do this.

Any idea what I am referring to?

Today it is done by many many big names but in the 1960s it was virtually unheard of and never done whether it was a understood rule or a written rule I have no idea....
    Hurst could not do it in the 1964 GTO, but could for the 1965 GTO. What am I referring to?

[email protected]

3. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

could'nt have there name on
    the shifter

4. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

Technically you are correct.....in 1964 they had their name on the housing and not the chrome visible stick.

That situation changed for the 1965 GTO although with a dozen or so assembly plants making GTOs....I have no idea if some early 1965 GTOs were fitted possibly with left over 1964 Hurst shifters.

Tough to say things as being absolute. Example, the new Camaro 2010 SS owners would probably be stunned to know that the SS emblems that adorn their cars are made in South Korea.

The importance....of having the Hurst name visible for the consumer I am told was a first in the industry outside of tire manufacturers having their name on the tires.
    This was quite an accomplishment even though Pontiac did not use their threaded design shifter linkage.

It was also a good PR move for Hurst to team up with the give away 1965 GTO coupe.

Still no correct answers to the other company located near Hurst that tried its hand at shifters but was probably the leader in another product they made that was hugely popular in the 1950s....nor has any hit on what company Bill Campbell and a few buddies purchased in 1969 that is considered the best in its field.

the clock is ticking.....

little wing your good....

[email protected]

5. inline 292

inline 292

Good thread here, btt. Also, when did Hurst go from the round handles to the present flat style? I dunno, just trying to learn here.

6. one37tudor

one37tudor

Was that Fenton shifters?

7. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

I gotta look cause have a bundle of hurst type shifters form the Trenton NJ area,,...Let me see if I can find out who,,I almost wanna say that smae company made parts for others as well

8. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

First question: Foxcraft?

9. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

I assume you are referring to the round ball to the T handle style handle...actually they offered both the T handle came from messing with clay and having it formed in their hand...first in plastic which under hard shifts would crack then metal ones....and even ons with flocking or felt like material. Many versions of them exist and actually for Ford and GTO in 1969 the T handle was offered in certian For models and the GTO Judge for example.

Ones with the pattern in the T handle used two different style number 4 closed like I show here and an open 4 which I can't show on a computer key.

I even have prototypes....will shoot some photos and have mr amc guy post for me tomorrow.

So to answer your question....both styles were offered during the same time frame.

A small black plain knob was used on the dual gates....

Prior to the solid round ball Hurst had a split half plastic knob where the stick came up in the middle. Kinda like a yoyo looking set up. This would be early 1960s time frame.

Keep in mind my reference to dates is approximate as I did not work at Hurst but have collected alot over the years of having a good connection at Hurst actually several connections.

[email protected]

keep firing the questions....

case their is a test someday....

10. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

BINGO....A WINNER

How did you arrive at the answer? Actually Foxcraft was n Huntingdon Valley where I grew up....my school bus rode by their plant every day....

Foxcraft was very very well known for making fender skirts....unfortunately interest in fender skirts faded during the mid to late 1960s. From what I understand they were the big maker of them.....

[email protected]

By the way the building still exists.....

11. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Just used the info provided and scanned my old mags. I also know the answer to the second question, but had to Google it, So I'll let someone else try first.

12. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

I have to really think the questions because of the internet answers are easy to come by. I think the other question has been anaswered as I can't find in my posts.

Will shoot a simple Hurst question next.

[email protected]

13. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

Hurst......they used a double H on what product? I can only think of one if they had others you muts name the one I am thinking of.

[email protected]

We will be posting photos of some of the shifter knobs. To give people a heads up on the T handles in my personal collection I have over 20 different which is probably more than most readers are aware of.

[email protected]

14. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I was referring to the Bill Campbell post Hurst question.

15. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

Now I member question was after Bill Campbell got canned around Christmas in 1969 what company did him and his buddies buy that today is considered the top of the line in that endeavor.

I did a DVD of Bill Campbell interview 2-3 years ago so the answer is on that DVD.

Bill I believe is around 82-83 years old now....

[email protected]

16. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Do you mean the letter H or the double H pattern on a 5 speed shifter?

17. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth

Here are a few shots of some of the Hurst knobs in my personal collection. While many of you probably do not realize in different T handles alone I have 20 different ones. Some of which I know are prototypes as I have never seen them in any of the Hurst catalogs.

Watch for more exact photos of certain ones to follow shortly.

[email protected]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

The Dual Pattern Shifter ,,5 speed I don't consider Hurst really even though they did make it

19. inline 292

inline 292

What about the actual shifter sticks that bolt on? I have one I bought used if I remember right some 30 to 40 yr. ago & it is made from round stock. What years were these made in. All I see now is the ones with a rectangular cross section.

20. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Mid 60's they came out,,and I think they are a 4 speed only part

21. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth

Here are some close ups of some of the T handles in my private collection. The silver looking ones note the number 4 two versions was used closed and open on number 4.

The other ones are extremely rare may be prototypes or ones hat saw very little production especially in the plastic format since they would crack.

[email protected]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

23. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Cool & informative thread. Years ago a buddy talked me into going with him to a slot car swap meet in St. Louis. Not a huge slot car guy, but one guy had a ton of old Hurst literature & promo stuff. I picked up a press kit of the Smokey Yunick Hurst Floor Shifter Special from the guy. Should have bought more stuff from him.
    Gotta love them nerf bars. :cool:

[​IMG]

24. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

I am referring strickly to the letter H what product shows two Hs as the logo has words also but it is not shifter related...this double H wording appeared on a certain product they made.

[email protected]

its tough to word questions in such a way that the internet can't help you find the answer to...

25. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

the slot car guy you ran into was probably my friend Pete Serio who is a long time personal friend lives in Ohio has a huge collection that I sold him alot of years ago and he wrote the book on Hurst shifters the varies differences etc....

he is also big into the little HO scale slot cars....

Tall guy.....

Was it him?

[email protected]

26. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Heres one for what transmission did Hurst offer an actual "Top Shift" Conversion kit for ??
    This kit included top cover forks and shifter.

27. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Thanks Dennis
    kirban 2 cents worth
    Love this stuff!
    found these...

George Hurst, Linda Vaughan, Joe Schubeck and Jon Lundberg.

FROM Jon Lundberg.

"This shot was a starting line interview at the 66 March Meet. Year I wore the Purple suits. Hurst debuted their twin Olds-powered 442 (the "Hairy Olds) there and Shubeck was the driver. He was "delivered" there in a helicopter wearing a very "formal" tux-style firesuit! All that to expand on his persona as "Gentleman" Joe Schubeck.

Attached Files:

28. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

George always liked the Olds over the Pontiacs even though in the game of numbers Pontiacs is probably where the bigger money was generated.

Unfortunately the Hairy Olds did not have a long productive life...

The Hemi Cuda in its various models did do quite better...I own the small hemi cuda model that used to sit on George Hurst desk. From a early standpoint that was quite a PR move.

I also have some dvd footage of the original Hemi Under Glass doing test shots (wheelies) for the employees in the parking lot in Warminster....

One thing about Hurst, it is the first name that comes to mind for shifters....

I member where all the head people would park you would se a row of the latest HO cars...

Interesting story how my friend became the art director in the early 1960s at age of around 40 years old. Never thought the business would last as he was not a car guy but an artist...

[email protected]

On the shifter question posed above has me stumped....unless its the Hurst lightning set up.....

Very complex system.

29. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Hairy!

Attached Files:

30. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

That was a good ten years or so ago, so I couldn't tell ya! If there was a chance he was in the St. Louis area it might have been him.