Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Government Collector Auction in Utah.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mj40's, Dec 17, 2009.

1. mj40's

mj40's

There is a car auction coming up in Utah. These are government confiscated collector cars seized from one man. Over 300 of them. So many that there will be two auctions in January.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9057978

2. NoSurf

NoSurf

Looks like his taste was criminal too...

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Interesting how an auction company doesn't have someone to make sure their descriptions are accurate.
    35 Ford Flatbed truck is listed as "Panel"
    56 Chevy Station wagon is listed as "Nomad"
    48 Merc Convertible is listed as "Sedan"
    same 48 Merc is also listed as "Mercury DeSoto"

If the figures under the year, make and model are expected sales figures they are way over on most and under on some.

There could be some real deals here if the weather reduces the bidder's gallery.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  4. Squablow

Squablow

No kidding. Who wouldn't want that "Plymouth Desote"?

Some real ugly shit in there too, but a few neat cars for sure. Glad this guy got nailed, another ponzi schemer.

5. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I wonder why the Us Marshall's office didn't pick an auction company that is known for dealing with this kind of volume of vehicles. These guys don't know what they are getting into. Listing a 32 roadster as a Model A highboy, misrepresentation.

6. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

I bet there will be some good deal there, I think numbers are mileage on the vehicles.

7. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Aside from the correct ID's. without titles they may be a real problem transfering into another state

8. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Pretty interesting. This guy was an a$$ clown that didn't really know anything about cars, other than he had the money to just buy whatever he thought was cool at the time. I'm guessing there will be some good buys at this auction. I'm trying now to see if the cars are viewable prior to the auction.

9. 416Ford

416Ford

I don't understand how in the U.S we are Innocent until proven guilty, yet they can auction off his belongings before he goes to trial.

And I would like on the 56 Chevy's.

10. That caught my attention as well. They didn't sell off Bernies stuff untill after the trial.

11. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

maybe he owed alot of money.

IDK.

12. chaddilac

chaddilac

This guy bought a truck from my buddy, he put a large deposit down on it, and Rick drove to Utah to meet him to deliver the truck and the guy never showed. So Rick kept the deposit and the truck, but was never able to get ahold of him!!!

That was ricks Orange buggie that he sold him before the pickup!

13. Invicta

Invicta

Did I see a Rav 4 In the mix???

14. A.P. Photography

A.P. Photography

This guy was all over the place with the cars. Def. gonna be some good deals there.

15. truckdude1

truckdude1

This is interesting. I sold my '31 roadster to this guy 2 1/2 years ago. It was a really strange deal. He sent me $15,000 right away and then I never heard from him. I was getting contacted by other eBay sellers in the same situation. It was ok by me, I still drove the car all Summer. Finally, months later, a shipper called me to pick it up. A top of the line enclosed hauler arrived full of muscle cars all going to this guy.

He sure bought some stuff of questionable taste. He seems to have liked tacky paint jobs. Hey bonehead, if you are violating the law and need to run fast, buy jewels and gold, not warehouses full of vehicles.

16. pinman 39

pinman 39

Hey Mel if you are going can I catch a ride ?

17. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

lowest bid contractor

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's maybe 3 bikes worth a look and the cars, well for the most part they're representative of how several folks shot themselves in the foot with car collections. They all look like "me toos" or TV build shit. Then there's those 2 big trucks, you know the ones that are bought by guys that are hung like a pinky toe...

So not only was the guy crooked but he didn't even leave any coverage for a way out. I see at least a 60-70% loss over what he probably paid. Sad. As for whether or not he's guilty that may be related cases they spoke of in the write-up, perhaps they were volutarily surrendered in advance of any proceedings hoping he'd "buy out" of trouble. It happens.

19. nortonkel

nortonkel
    from colorado

I want the mercury desoto:D

20. mj40's

mj40's

Apparently the US Marshall's office are not car savy or even able to read side emblems.

21. mj40's

mj40's

You know the VIN numbers have been run on all of these cars to determine if any of these show up stolen and additional charges can be made on this guy. It sounds like this guy was a buyer and money used was probably drug money. Usually what happens is a team of DMV officials will be there transferring all titles to the new buyer/owner on the spot.

22. If the feds are sellin cars,whoever the buyers are,the feds will be lookin up thare asses next week!

Oldmics

23. sawzall

sawzall

24. freebird101

freebird101

that is a nice collection

25. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Looks like a lot of the sports cars are as fake as the returns promised to investors in a Ponzi schme. Oh yeah, the "Austin-Healey" pictured is actually a Cobra kit car.

26. drfreeze

drfreeze

Ha! for sure!!!! what's that saying a ass for every seat ......

27. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, mileage, not high bid estimate.....

28. Not so. These type of auctions tend to operate like this, from what I understand. One is on a bill-of-sale, stating specifically that the vehicle is from a DEA or other LE or government auction. This tells whatever State you are registering the vehicle in that there is no title and that the car was a seized vehicle, being sold by/for that agency. You get no problems with MOST State motor vehicle bureaus. Vehicles are always sold as-is, obviously.

29. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

titling from these type of auctions typically, is no problem at all. unless of course you buy a car that requires to be smogged and won't pass

30. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.