Register now to get rid of these ads!

MSRA members take note

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badlefihand, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rusty52

Rusty52

I'm still waiting to hear back on the mailing issue.

As for signing a release...I believe the initial application has the waiver and must be signed by owner and spouse (if applicable).

TININDN,

What were the difficulties encountered when "experimenting" with the emailing and internet? Was it used for registering for shows or was it used for signing up for the club?

IMHO the 2nd host hotel to the south would put even more of a strain on MSRA and the volunteers than it would be worth. As you said it would also open up the door for more mistakes and thus, more unhappy people.

Rusty

2. I would be shocked if you could make a single change to anything that wouldn't upset a large number of people. It is because the MSRA is huge, and getting unanimous consensus with that many people is impossible.

I think the MSRA is doing a bang-up job with everything. They are an all volunteer organization that can host the worlds second largest car show without any major problems. It would be impossible to put together such a big event and not have complaints. They do a fantastic job.

I also think the MSRA is doing a great job with legislative lobbying and with promoting safe and responsible rodding. Keep up the PR campaign and the work with the legislature.

Keep doing those things. I don't care when my linechaser gets mailed.

3. TININDN

TININDN
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Rusty:

Not quite sure about having a south metro registration would require any more "manpower", in fact, I know several MSRA members that work registration each year that live in the south metro, so that might make them happy. If you have 9,000 pre-registrations, you need "X" number of folks at the tables to keep the lines moving, so what's the difference if that "X" number of folks are at two different locations?

As far as mailing goes, it would probably cost a buck in postage to mail out the stuff they hand you at the registration table. So, add packaging, figure two bucks a head conservatively - but, it should greatly lessen the manpower required in Shoreview on Thursday. As far as "counterfeiting", being you need both a window card and button to pass the gate, seems like that is pretty well covered. However, there probably will be some "lost in the mail" and the "dog ate it" stories. One advantage of physically picking up your registration stuff, there is a worker present to actually watch if you have a window card and two buttons in your envelope. Again, I would hope MSRA has already discussed this option, and maybe there's some additional reasons they have opted for not mailing, in addition to cost.

If you want to do registration over the web, you will need to accept credit card transactions, which will cost you money off the registration fee. But, if you're smart, you can build it into a real time electronic database that you enter the snail mail in registrations by hand, giving you immediate access into registration information, at a glance. By using mandatory fields, the location and car make info MSRA makes available each year would be instantly accessible in real time. It could assign a sequential registration number immediately, so in your e-mail registration receipt, you would know your window card number within seconds/minutes after you registered on-line. Sort of like making a airline, rental car, hotel reservation on-line, you get your confirmation number back very quickly. Better have adequate server capability, because those low number window cards are highly valued by some, so the system will get hit hard in the first hour it's open for on-line registration.

Dave

4. oldpaint

oldpaint

I believe we sign a waiver when we send in the registration form. I promise behave myself and I am also responsible for my wife "young&lovelypaint" She likes to have a good time! They haven't thrown us out yet, but there's always a first time.:eek:
    Anybody have one of those forms? They are not up on the web page. I suppose because someone would fill it out and send it in to get the highly sought after low number.:rolleyes:
    I think the mailings could be simple, Like others have suggested look at different window stickers and credentials other then buttons that can be in the envelope. All of the advertising and crap could be in the mug for those that want it. They hand out those visitor guides to the spectators as they come into the fairgrounds.
    There really doesn't need to be a ticket or a barrel. If you are registered your number should automatically be entered in the drawings. You don't have to be present on Sunday to win. If you pay you should be in without hand carrying a piece of paper to a barrel.

5. chubbie

chubbie

see!! just how easy it could be....still say mail or think, why would the line up at the fairgrounds be larger, than picking up the mug??? there is PLENTY of room at the grounds w/countless empty buildings. whats the difference if i stand in line for 15 min. up north or at the grounds???

6. bryan6902

bryan6902

I believe a lot of the "empty" buildings at the fairgrounds are probably a lot "fuller" than you think. Vendor buildings are private property, I believe, and the state owned buildings are most likely used as storage for the State Fair.

Been talking with a co-worker who has worked registration for many years and he brought up a good point. The registration hotel parking lot was never meant to be the show, people just show up and hang out. I agree that is a major bottle neck/pain in the ass. Not only do you have to deal with other attendees, but you have to deal with the general public showing up en masse, to gawk at old cars. I too would be really angry/negative/pissed if I drove 4 hours, sat in another 1.5 hours of metro traffic only to get to the hotel and have to dodge pedestrians and teens driving their mom's Camry.

I show up long enough to get my packet and leave, why hang around? I'm not staying at that hotel. I'm going to the show at least 2 of 3 days, all these cars are gonna be there too. Our club has had an alternate activity nearby, each year, which is small and relaxing. Just a good time to hang out with friends, sometimes it's the only time we see certain members the entire weekend.

My point, get your registration and move along. Go back to your hotel, find a friends house, go to a different restaurant, go home (locals only), go chill out at a park, check out the drive-in movie or whatever. Maybe organize an activity for your club members, something.... Besides the later you hang out in the parking lot, the less sleep you can get before you have to wake up at 2:45am to get the same parking spot you've had since Christ was a carpenter....

7. I agree the registration at the Hampton sucks. Not the hotel, just the drive there. We also come from the south and last year it was a 3.5 hour drive to get there and get stuck in 25 mph trafic on the freeways trying to get there before they close. Then after registration, and hour trip to the camping grounds to set up and then another hour back to the show.It would surely make my trip better to avoid the Hampton. Mail me mine!

8. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

this is just a thought if it has some merit it could be refined and who knows it just might work

registration seem more like a social event on Thursday you could call it the 4th day of the 50's
    fun sometimes and a pain in the ass for others getting off work or driving from many locations around the USA

the mailing idea sounds good or UPS has a Letter Envelope

if the Btt50's participant does not recieve his packet then you would go to registration site to be named

the volunteer MSRA worker could go online and check USPS or UPS to verify you did not recieved the packet and then and only then they could issue you a new packet

9. Rusty52

Rusty52

OK, so I, along with others are working on getting some kind of answer as to whether mailing the BTTF's packets out has been discussed or is do-able for the club. I don't know when I'll get an answer, but I've started the ball rolling.

BUT, I think we've gotten a bit side-tracked from what the original conversation was; whether or not I'm some young punk whose going to come in and blow traditional hot rodding out of the water. Yes BTTF's is a big part of what MSRA is, but it's not the ONLY part.

What do you like about MSRA?

What don't you like about MSRA?

If you're a member what events do you attend, and why?

What improvements do you think could be made to make this club better?

10. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Believe it or not, the whole shebang is privately owned! It is even run like it's own little city. That's part of how the fair board gets away with the "It's my way or the highway" attitude. Unfortunately for MSRA, where else are you going to hold an event that will fit 11,000 + cars and all the spectators. The fair board has them by the short hair.....

11. Rusty52

Rusty52

I'm really not trying to change anything, rather, I'm trying to add something to the MSRA. I'm not trying to get consensus, I just see a need to make more of a plan for the future and get a younger generation more involved in hot rods so that there is someone to pass the club torch off to.

For the most part, I agree. But as I've already stated previously, I think the board also needs to make a move now, while MSRA is still healthy and vibrant, to make sure that there is a contingent of people waiting in the wings to continue the traditional MSRA mission.

Can't argue with you here, you are absolutely correct. MSRA is a big reason as to why street rodding is so successful, not only in our area, but across the country. What will happen in 10-15 years if our numbers are cut in half?

The two biggest things I'd like to accomplish as a board member are: 1.) Get MSRA into the 21st century as far as technology is concerned. I think our website is terrible and it shouldn't be costing the club money, it ought to be at the very least paying for itself in advertisements. 2.) I'd like to see the board make a real effort to prepare the next generation of street rodders so that the club has someone to pass the torch off to. Bottom line, though it won't be easy, we need to figure out ways to get more youth involved in this hobby.

12. Rusty52

Rusty52

We should hold it at BIR. We can all park on the new road course during the day, and party hard in the zoo at night :D LOL

13. Jason455

Jason455

The biggest complaint I have is the registration hotel. Id rather drive father into a rural area than deal with the city traffic. I would pay extra to have it mailed to me. I dont think 2-locations would work. There would always be someone that payed no attention, standing at the other location bitching. The show is BIG and can be a pain at times but most good shows get bigger each year. To be expected.

14. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

15. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Thanks for the compliment about the legislative committee.I've been on it since day 1.
    If the biggest gripe we have about the show is the hassle of the registration area,then I think it's going ok.Yes,it can and should have improvements and these discussions will help.At least we HAVE the opportunity to attend a show with 11,000 vehicles located at a tree filled fairground with streets wide enough to accommodate vehicles on both sides and still have cars cruise.Why is everyone from all over coming here? Because of the venue.Shade,space,and all and all a damn good show.It can be picked apart and every year those who dont like something about it but in the end it's the biggest event of the summer.There are things about it I cant stand.Every show large or small has it's issues.

16. How long do you have to be a member before you start getting checks?

17. I like that idea of moving BTT50's to Brainerd.

18. oldpaint

oldpaint

Brainerd would be perfect. You would get half the cars and half the spectators. Plenty of room for vendors, cars and camping.
    The ZOO, Yah Hoo!!!:D

19. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I actually meant G--dg-ys, and N--A. I know threads get locked pretty quick if we mention either one by name...:)

The Torquers and Amblers are still around, but I don't think either has let a new member in for years.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  20. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I've been a member for over 20 years on my own, and my Dad has been one over 35 years, and neither of us have ever seen a check.... :)
    I guess we should have checked the "send me a check" box instead of "volunteer" on our membership form.....:D

21. bobw

bobw

Even though I'm member #402, which means I joined pretty early, I did wait a couple years to see if MSRA would last. Seems like it did. I didn't want to waste any beer money on a membership fee until I was sure...
    Brainerd has the Super Secret Fun Run, which is the best event put on my MSRA. It needs more non-racers attending. I don't want more racers cuz I have to sit in staging too long as it is. Sellfish, eh?
    Besides the Linechaser (which I did a cartoon for for a few years) the payout for members is good free meals at various events. Volunteers get some other benefits but it probably doesn't come close to earning minumum wage for the time contributed.
    All in all, it's a heck of a great organization.

22. sinks88

sinks88

Hey Rusty,

I am a Member of MSRA, and I work at a mailing/printing co. in Maple Grove, there are lots of ways to mail, and I could get you some quotes on everything from mailing supplied materials to design, print, collate and mail solutions. Let me know if you would like to discuss this.

thanks!

23. Rusty52

Rusty52

Thanks! I'm interested in entertaining everything regarding the mailing, but I know this has to be something that is under contract with MSRA. Right now I believe all the printing, etc is done through Graphic Design and I have no idea how long the contract runs through. But keep your eyes peeled to this thread and the Linechaser, as I don't think this is the last we'll hear of the mailing issue.

Rusty

24. StomperBRodreagez

StomperBRodreagez

Right on! I have friends from out of town that end up wasting half a friday morning because they couldn't get up here in time for registration on thursday. Mailing it would alleviate a lot of the griping that goes on at this forum and the fairgrounds on Friday afternoon. Definitely a change worth looking at. People can still go to the registration if they prefer, just have a box to check on the registration papers that we get in Feb.

25. StomperBRodreagez

StomperBRodreagez

26. oldpaint

oldpaint

Rusty,
    everything takes time and I realize that changes won't happen this year. The first thing we need to do is get you elected to the board.

One thing that could be changed THIS YEAR that would help is to keep registration open longer, say 10:00pm. They wouldn't have to put in more hours just start later and keep it open later. Those coming from a long distance would have a chance to get their registration on Thursday and could head directly to the fairgrounds on Friday instead of sitting at the Hampton waiting for them to open registration. Make it more convenient for the travelers MSRA members or not.

27. Rusty52

Rusty52

Well thank you, I certainly hope I get the chance to represent you and the members of MSRA. If not, I will continue to be a voice within the club. As you can tell, I don't shy away from issues, which I think is an important characteristic to being successful on the MSRA board. I'm sure that there are some board members who may have read this and some probably are pissed off by it. That's certainly not been my intention. I don't think they should be as it's not an attack on what they've done, I'm just trying to contribute something positive to the club and hobby.

That is a very good point. I will look into the registration times and see if there couldn't be a change made. I didn't even realize registration closed so early, as I always go there earlier in the day and avoid the rush of traffic. I also don't hang around the lot to gawk.

I know MSRA has the drive-in movie that evening for BTTF's participants, but what if MSRA came up with something during the day to try to draw the gawkers and those just hanging around away from registration. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a heavily staffed event or a big to do, just come up with a place that's willing to have a bunch of rodders come hang out in a lot. Maybe find a city that would be interested in having the rods come and draw business to the town, or maybe there would be a business interested in getting the cars there. This would give those who normally sit around the registration lot a reason to leave and go hang out with cars somewhere else. $.02

Rusty

28. chubbie

chubbie

rusty people sitting around the host hotel are less of a problem then the traffic in the concrete jungle. count me out till its fixed

29. Kool30Hudson

Kool30Hudson

The hotel location should be changed every year to give everybody from different location a chance at easier access. Traffic is a lot better on the south side of town compared to the north side.

30. 38 Ford Guy

38 Ford Guy

No location for registration will be right no matter what the MSRA does. Keep in mind the motel is only 8 miles away and has the room to park. Most other locations with room to park will require a longer drive which is really all the problem plus most motels don't want to deal with the B.S of all the cars etc.
    Another thought having it at the same place makes it easier for out of towners that keep returning to find if you move it more confusion trying to find the locaton. As far as the people hanging out that will never change besides it is kind of the build up to the excitement.
    I drive all over Twin Cities with my job I do not care where it is located it will be a slow drive to get to the fair grounds at certain times the traffic is terrible everywhere. The best thing the MSRA did this year was open more gates it is how I remember getting in with my Dad years ago (yes I'm under 40) but opening it to additional years will be suicide as the number of cars is too much to deal with already.
    Let's face it there are two issues here: one the MSRA has nothing to do with the infastructure in the cities which is way behind the times then add 12,000 plus hot rods, vendors, muscle cars, tuner cars, weekend lake traffic....thus the long waits to any host hotel and drive to the fairgrounds. 2nd the show is larger than anyone has ever thought it would be.

Just my two cents worth. I could care less where the host hotel is located as I now pick up my registration on Thursday AM in and out with a brief prelude to the show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.