Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fred Hurst Gasser Resurfaces w/PICS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jet Doc, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Injected 426 Hemi sez it all! That car looks like a real life Rat Fink cartoon. Really great to see it being revived.

2. ??????????????????????????

I still don't! Help a brutha out.

3. Fred's cars were always fast and beautiful. Unfortunately these at the time "late model" bodies and the birth of funny cars combined to kill the Gassers as we knew them. In a way, this car and the SWC Mustang were the precursors of ProMod. Hope to see it when it's done.

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

update! things are progressing very slowly due to finances. The original crew chief was discovered and is on board to guide the restoration. At this time, the chassis is pretty much done. One of the original engines was also discovered and will be used.

$$$$ needed to complete. Not my deal, but a friend is the owner.

PM me if you wish to donate!

5. LowA100

LowA100

"Original Crew Chief"?? I used to go to the races with Fred and Jeff and never knew of a crew chief.

6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Call him whatever title you want. This man did the fabrication work and has the drawings to prove it. PM me if you need his name as proof.

7. Cayey57

Cayey57
    from Alaska

Freak!!!! Yea!!!!!..awesome!!!

8. kscuda

kscuda
    from olathe, ks

[​IMG]couple from 1969 at Pomona
    [​IMG][​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Jim Sideways

Jim Sideways
    from Ohio

Is this the same Fred Hurst in Huber Heights Ohio??? I used to work with Fred Hurst At that time he was racing an Opel, now he helps his son with his car... Never heard of him having a Cuda. Thats been years ago I guess.....

10. Anybody know if this car ran the Worldsfinals in Tulsa during the late sixties? I remember a very well turned out Cuda gasser, but it could be just old age.

11. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Yes, won Street Eliminator in '68.

12. Thanks! Now I've got a better timeline on some of my stories!

13. Fred's Cuda was cool, but his Willys was a work of art that ran like a Striped Ass Ape. My crummy old snap shot doesn't begin to do it justice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  14. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

WOW! Good luck, I know what kind of work has to go into a job like that.
    I am in the middle of restoring the body of "Big John" Mazmanian's Drag Austin. Keep that faith!
    FRITZ

Attached Files:

15. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Fred is from Ohio. His son Jeff is a very accomplished racer. Fred raced Willys until he purchased the Cuda body from Chrysler. It was actually mounted on the same chassis as the Willys! Scary stuff that would probably not pass tech today. His "Crew Chief" tells stories of how much effort went into reducing weight on a weekly basis.

This restoration is not my deal. It is being performed by a good friend. He is an infrequent lurker on here. All photographs and insight will be greatly appreciated. I will be alerting him to the resurrection of this thread. Thanks to all who have contributed.

16. Wow...I wonder if the old Willys body is still back in the corner of his shop?

17. paint gun

paint gun
    from kentucky

bobwop, do you know if the car is for sale?

18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I spoke with the owner yesterday to gain his approval to post regarding his car. He prefers to continue to build. But everything has a price, doesn't it? Ultimately, he will likely offer it for sale at a major automobile auction.

Funny part of our conversation...he wishes to remain anonymous because he likes feels "too many cooks spoil the stew", and having the "Original Crew Chief" on his team and a very accomplished engine builder that is from the area on the team, he isn't looking for input. Not arrogant, rather acting smart.

He said he is thinking of putting a late model 5.4 liter Ford in it and going bracket racing...in jest of course.

It is too bad that finances are the holdup. Paintgun, don't be surprised if, someday, the opportunity to paint the car arises again.

19. paint gun

paint gun
    from kentucky

well i guess that this car would be a great car to clone..since the original may end up being a bracket racer. what a shame..

20. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Yes, its the same Fred Hurst. I see Fred all the time and a great guy! I also was taken back when I read "crew chief" as Fred did his own work I think Jeff was a bit young at that time to help too much. He took the rolling frame and drive train out from under his Willys gasser and put the Cuda body on it, thats why the Willys front axle looks narrow and the slicks stuck out as they did. I have pictures of me with the car, great times!
    Dave.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

The Willys body is a pro street rod in Southern Ohio.

22. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I hope all you chums of Fred's take time to ask him who did his fabrication. Maybe "crew chief" was not the correct term to use, but this man was a BIG part of the success of these cars and has already been very helpful during the restoration.

23. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Considering I'll see Fred in a couple of weeks at a racers Reunion, I'll ask him about the "Crew Chief"....

24. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

take a close look at one of the photos showing the quarter panel. there is the answer and the name of the man that is helping with the restoration. I guess Fred will have to put the "title" on him.

25. LowA100

LowA100

I'm with you Dave. I went to school w/Jeff and to the races a lot. Dont remember a "crew chief". Fred did all of the work that I ever seen. As far as fabrication, the car didn't need any after it was built and if I am not mistaken, Paddock built the chassis. Not totally sure of that but Paddock built the Opel and a lot of George's cars

26. Our57

Our57

27. paint gun

paint gun
    from kentucky

just wondering if there is any new progress on this car?

28. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

dead in the water, but may be moved to another part of the country for another effort towards completion.

financial issues prevail.

29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Very Cool, thats great news about the Lettering.
    Opps!!!, looks like I'm late to this party.