Register now to get rid of these ads!

My review of Summit racing house brand paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 42hotrod, Dec 14, 2009.

1. krooser

krooser

I'll be shooting Kirker on my Peterbilt later this week...

2. filthy frank

filthy frank

that paint started burning my eyes really bad, but i couldnt stop, i had to finnish the job,and i have a fan sucking out the fumes at the same time and it still burned.i use a full face mask that works great !.paint fumes and other things also, asorbes thru the eyes a lot quicker than your skin. be safe ! wear as much saftey equiptment you can ! . filthy frank.

3. This might be a stupid question for some, but for me, I'm NOT a paint Wizard. I'm use to shooting lacquer, and not much of it at that. Does this stuff shoot as easily as lacquer? I've used lacquer because it doesn't seem to run, and with the clear over it it can be wet sanded/buffed.

4. I wondered about the Summit paint......great thread, I appreciate everyone's input as I haven't painted a car in 35 years and know that it's all a different game now. I appreciate this thread.

5. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Would it make any difference if you sprayed over something like a silver base?

6. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

One of the things that impressed me was the coverage. 3 coats with a pearl metallic and it had perfect coverage by the second coat. I did the third coat just as insurance to make sure I didn't end up with any striping.

Sprayed great.

7. lesabre59

lesabre59

I had the same reaction, I wore a respirator but hadnt changed the filter recently, I paid for it later, i could not breath and to this day I have trouble taking a full deep breath, that was almost 2 years ago.... that Kirker is the nastiest crap ive ever shot, i swear its a combo of left over Agent Orange and Pesticides!!! LOL

8. lesabre59

lesabre59

And the Wax/degreaser that was supplied with the kit cause it to react and the entire car had to be sanded down completely and reshot..I will NEVER use this product again!!!!!

9. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Agreed. I may not be in the paint manufacturing end of things, but I'm sure that longetivity has alot to do with the cost of things. R&D is another thing. Many of the top companies, PPG and DuPont, spend dollars developing superior products. I for one can tell the difference between $100/gallon clear and $250/gallon clear when I spray it, after its cured, and 5 years down the road.

But I am sure the rest goes into some Porsche driving CEO's pocket! :D

10. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Does this stuff have isocyanates in it?

11. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

We shot a buddies o/t BMW with the Summit High solids clear and it went hazy in two months, went back and wet sanded and buffed again and it still went hazy. We will stick with House of Kolors and Sherwin Williams Planet Color World. This is a daily driven BMW and not a weekend toy so somebodies weekend hotrod might survive a long time.

12. Mooe

Mooe
    from CT

As I recall, the only thing Kirker has that doesn't have icocyanates is their epoxy primer.

13. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

all good info, I am hoping to paint the caddy next fall so I am starting my research early!

14. Racewriter

Racewriter

I think I'll squirt the race car with it this spring to give it a shot.

15. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Funniest thing,have you seen how wavy factory paint jobs are? My god,I can do a better job with a rattle can.

16. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Like I said, I'm on one end of things and you the other, but I find that extremely hard to believe. Basically what you're saying is that PPG DC4000 clear that is around $250-300/gal is the same as OMNI clear that is $100/gal and the extra $150 goes into some CEOs pocket? So all the materials are the same, they will last the same amount of time, and they will all spray exactly the same?

No. I know this because I've sprayed them and have seen how they last. You pay for quality and while I'm sure someones wallet gets bigger everytime I order another gallon, that isn't where ALL of the extra money goes.

17. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Oh,trust me,I know about the thin sheet metal,not going to say how,but I know. That is the reason why I'll never own a new car. If I need something for gas economy,I'll buy a VW Bug. Anyways,I was looking at the Summit paint,and found the color I want,which is the Black Cherry Pearl,but will probably go to Kustom Shop for the roof because they have Candy colors. No one answered my question about the color this paint will turn out if you use a base like silver.

18. adams27

adams27

Have there been any other guys tried this paint since the last post in December? Just wondering how it's holding up for those who've tried it.

19. cig88

cig88
    from NY

Just shot a truck yesterday and impressed with results. Summit is not allowed to reviel the paint manufacturer. However....it starts w/a P

20. greaserzombie

greaserzombie

Any updates on the longevity? I want to shirt my first car with REAL paint - my O/T work truck. I was going to use summits stuff, cause some magazine said how great it was (And it might be a total disaster so I want cheapish paint). I read the thread, and it still sounds good, just wondering if any problems have crept up? Thanks y'all!

21. davidh73750

davidh73750

any updates how the clear is holding up?

22. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

When I bought some of this at Summit's store in GA, I was told it was Sherwin-Williams.

I sprayed a friend's OT work truck with the base/clear back in January, and while it was ok for the price (and the application), I wouldn't use it on a vehicle I cared about. I too had thought about just spraying the single stage, but it had virtually no gloss, and a little more texture that I would have liked. It took forever to cure, and was still very soft over 24 hours later. It basically couldn't be sanded. I cleared it, and it looked much better, but still I think I would spend the money on better paint for any project I cared about. I understand now that they sell a true basecoat, which IMHO would eliminate about 95% of the problems. I'm not sure why they din't offer base/clear in the first place...to me, its far easier to spray than a single stage anyway, and looks better, too.

23. fatman1

fatman1
    from hiram ohio

just got done using Summit Racing BC/CC and high soilds clear for the first time on a O/T jeep, it seemed to go on fairly well coverage was good. the clear seemed to flow well even though the reducer that i used was for a cooler shop temp. the gloss is great there are a few dirt nubs so im going to color sand and buff hope the gloss stays. sorry about pictures better one will follow

Attached Files:

24. AHotRod

AHotRod

Anyone else use Summit Paints lately?

25. davidh73750

davidh73750

either rod and custom or street rodder is doing an article on that 46 for roadster pickup that just painted with summit paint

26. DarrenHorst

DarrenHorst

Has anyone heard of the rumor about using soda for blasting voids the warranty for PPG paints? and I have bought SR house paint and am wondering what I need to do to prepare my soda blasted truck before applying the filler??
    Thanks

27. NAT WILLIAMS

NAT WILLIAMS

Got in a tight painting the roof of My car and was using the Summit pure white single stage and ran out. Had a new gallon of Kirker Pure white single stage and used it for the second coat. I think the Summit brand was 4 to 1 and the Kirker was 3 to 1. Went on smooth. Let you know if it does something weird. I think it is the same but now I'm going to find out.

SS327 likes this.