Register now to get rid of these ads!

MSRA members take note

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badlefihand, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

The major problem with registration is finding a motel and city that will accomadate it.
    Mailing out the packets would cost a hudge fortune first class mail, and bulk mail would be very iffy.
    The size of the event seems to be leveling out as far as entrants goes, and specitators is a unknown.
    I have been a gate worker many times and the crap some people try to pull would make the best good natured people come unglued.
    If you look in the MSRA yearbook there are many member that only own muscle cars, but join for the other benifits so that owning a correct is not an issue.

I have been a MSRA lifetime member for 20 plus years and have seen a lot of changes, but to the boards credit they keep the club on its original course, and as for younger involvemnt I have not seen a lack of that either.

2. We have made the 6 hour drive many, many times over the years. The above attitude is ooozzzzing in the Twin Cities. I have traveled their for buisiness for the last 10 years and attended 12 or so events....I only see this attitude during this event. I am not sure about the core values of the club but BTTF's is the $$ maker for the club, so it should be big deal.
    I just do not get the "negative" attitude. The host hotel thing is a major pain the ass. I drive 6 hours...and then get back in the car to drive another hour to the hotel to pick up a packet of papers that you could have mailed. Also, keep the mug - I think that is a ridiculous trinket....or least the way people want to get them is ridiculous.
    I really enjoy the venue, the vendors and the principle behind the show but we almost always end up parked in the gravel lot. And we show up about 7:30. Maybe it is just getting too big....
    Good luck with all the lobbying....

3. oldpaint

oldpaint

10,000 stamps @ 49 cents=$4,900.00 not a huge fortune when you look at $250,000 in registration fees. $250,000 now that's a small fortune. I would be happy to pay an extra 50 cents for a mailing. They already have the envelopes, all that needs to be it is the window sticker and a short letter tell everyone what gates they are going to use this year. Get rid of the buttons and use stickers the size of the buttons. If they are worried about copies I'm sure they can make a hologram sticker. Since there the size of the buttons anyone could stick them to the old buttons or directly to their shirt or hat.

4. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

I Guarantee you, If you let Muscle cars attend...I won't be back. I drive 800 miles each way and a bunch of Muscle Iron is not what I come up to see...

5. bryan6902

bryan6902

Lots of good things mentioned in this post for BTTF's improvement. Some ideas I could see happening, others not so much. It take a lot of work to put on that show and changing a bunch of stuff all a once is probably not wise. Every year the board tries to improve the show and every year some other issue arises.

I agree with stoggie that registration should be different and the mugs are ridiculous. Maybe mailing the bare minimum out-a map, 2 buttons and a window sticker- is all you need. And if you want the large bag of trash or a mug to hide your mixed drink in, you have a claim ticket for that. And yes, traffic sucks, spectators can be a pain and it can be a stressful weekend for some. I know people who live around the cities who will register and only come one day or not even bring a car to avoid the hassle. Didn't mean to be so negative previously but if it isn't fun, it's hard to be positive, right?

I don't think 50's should change the year cut-off. MSRA is already an all-inclusive car club. Look at the cars that show up to the picnics and campouts. Its probably already a 50/50 split between rods and muscle cars/etc. Lots of guys have rods and muscle cars/etc. and would actually rather drive their muscle car/etc. because it's more comfortable, gets better mileage or whatever. They're in the club they can drive what they want.

Bottom line is Rusty wants to make this a better club and be involved. Maybe all his ideas won't fly, who knows? If he's no good as a board member, just don't vote for him next time around!

6. bryan6902

bryan6902

Or just use some paper ticket that slides into something that goes around your neck like at Cup races. Just hand one of those out at the gates for folks with the paper tickets, could have a new one of those each year instead of the mug.

7. titus

titus

I dont think anyone will ever be happy with where the host hotel is located, i remember when it was off fairview and cleavland.

i think if it were around the 494/694/94 interchange that would help a bit, but maybe that would be to far east, so like i said, there is no winning!

and look for a host hotel with a large parking lot, that would relieve some troubles.

i am also one that thinks bttf is to big, its just to congested, if it were 59 and older it would help, i do think it is more a "streed rod" event than a muscle car event, or at least it should be, i do know alot of people that wont go to it because it is such a pain to get a parking spot, and i as alot of others dont like parking in a big stupid parking lot.

and what happened to st. north rollerskating, i know, no young people like to rollerskate, i like going there, just another mini show like the hotel registration on thursday.

the one thing i that i think is sad about the club is club member participation, you go to the spring picinic, or any of the picinics not many people go, or at least compared the the memebership numbers.

jeff

8. scoop

scoop

Muscle cars you've got to be kidding!If that would happen count me out.Registration is a pain in the ass for me only because of the cars in the hotel parking lot.Yes the show has gotten too big.The MSRA is a great organization,yes there is room for improvement.

9. bobw

bobw

My membership number is #402. To date over 21,000 people have joined MSRA.
    There were 54 new members listed in the latest Linechaser.
    13 listed having a 1948 or older car (and several had a newer collector car too).
    13 did not list any kind of collector car.
    28 listed a 1949 or newer car (and nothing in the 1948 and older range).
    So, you can own anything, or nothing at all, and be a member of MSRA.
    Of the 54 new members, 16 were out of state. AZ(2), WI(4), TX(1), IA(1), ME(1), OK(1), VA(1), IL(1), ONT(1), FL(1), and NC(1).
    What are all those out of state people getting out of membership in MSRA?
    While no ages are given for the new members, I would venture to say there are a signifigant number of people that represent the next generation. It's sure not a bunch of 60 year old guys joining that late in life.
    The motto on the cover of the Linechaser is: Our 43rd Year of Friends + Food + Fun + Fellowship. Notice that cars aren't mentioned? MSRA is an Association, and can't possibly be all things to all people. That's why there are clubs that cater to more specific tastes in cars.
    In my opinion MSRA is remarkable in it longevity and success. I have always been impressed with the honorable intentions and hard work contributed by the officers and volunteers of MSRA. I spend little time listening to the petty complaints that crop up from time to time.
    When BTTF's gets too big, it will get smaller, because people will stay home. That hasn't happend yet. The people just keep coming.
    There's hundreds of smaller shows and cruises all season long, so there's no need to go to BTTF's if it is a source of irritation. In fact, Titus' & Jen's picnic is one of the best small gatherings of the year.
    If you want to "power park" then get in line before dawn and fight it out with the other likeminded attendees.
    If you are going to look at cars rather than display your pride & joy, then arrive a little later, drive right in and park out a ways.
    It all depends on how "Ego-Involved" you are.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  10. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Every show can be improved. BTTF is a great show just like it is.Do not change the cutoff date for cars. The 3 times we went the fairgrounds was packed. You say you want to get young people involved just look around they are at events. Times are tough right now for young families. Hot rods are not buried when a rodder dies but can be passed on to family members.
    Yes registration is a pain. Mail the window sticker and buttons. Most rodders would pay extra so they don't have to go to the host hotel.
    We may return to BTTF in the future it's a 12 hr drive. We always have a great time there..

11. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

I don't think the US Government could have made the registration any harder or more ridiculous...

Maybe it was fun to go to the hotel and hang out when half as many people showed up, but now it's just too congested in the cities and in the area surrounding the hotel...

Driving across the cities to pick up a few pieces of paper and a button at a hotel clogged with cars & gawkers is an incredible waste of time & fuel for me and I'm not alone in voicing this...

The easy fix is to offer registration by mail... I've yet to hear any argument why it can't be done other than the old timer who says "there's no need to go to BTTF's if it is a source of irritation"

I would be more than happy to pay reasonable shipping & handling costs to get my registration papers by mail... USPS Priority Flat Rate Envelope would be a good choice, and you could put the buttons in there as well...

12. Rusty52

Rusty52

I certainly wouldn't advocate changing the years of BTTF's and I don't think any of the other board members want that either.

13. oldpaint

oldpaint

Rusty,
    How do you feel about sending out the registration in the mail?

If someone on the board doesn't push this issue it won't get done. To easy for board members to blow it off and say it will never work. Instead of how can we make it work.

14. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Why Not??? They send you back a conformation letter when you pre-register!
    Just enclose the Window sticker & participant passes. And keep the mug.

15. Rusty52

Rusty52

I would be all for mailing it out to those that want it that way. I think the costs would be more than $.49 suggested previously, but the actual cost would have to be researched. I think it should be done via a certified mail requiring someone to sign for it, that way MSRA could track who did and did not receive their materials, covering them later on from the people who come and try to get a 2nd registration, etc. If elected I will push for this, because I think there is a need all around for it. Many people, not just out of towners, aren't happy with having to go pick up the materials in traffic and congestion. The system might have worked better in the past, but as the show has grown, and with that so have the problems. I think if you give people an option to receive it via mail it will take care of one of the primary complaints.

Don't expect the mailing to happen this year as a system would need to be put into place ahead of time and 5 months just isn't enough time to change a registration process. It's good that this discussion is happening though, even if I'm not elected, I think people on the board will take note.

Rusty

16. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I think one of the issues with mailing out the registration is the problem with people potentially counterfeiting the registration. The more time you give them, the more probable this will happen. As it is, I have been told it is already an issue. They would need to go from the colored paper registration to a 'hard to copy' window sticker.

17. Rusty52

Rusty52

As far as the mug thing goes....I think another option might be to put a box on the registration, check yes or no. For those who want the mug they'll get a card to pick it up, those that don't won't get a card.

Remember that there is some other useful stuff in the registration packet such as the activity guide, the raffle ticket, etc. I know not everyone has an interest in the guide, but I think a lot of people do refer to it at some point, especially people who aren't regular BTTF's attendees. We'd have to consider mailing that with the registration or coming up with a plan to distribute them. I guess we could just fill up the information booths with them and people who want them could get them there....but then how would people know where to go to get them...thinking out loud, I think we should maybe mail them with the packet.

18. bobw

bobw

Hey, Rusty52, Why don't you call the president or one of the board members of MSRA and ask about mailing, and report back tomorrow?

19. Rusty52

Rusty52

Bob,
    I will look into it and let you know.

Rusty

20. StomperBRodreagez

StomperBRodreagez

Forgive me if this isn't in the right spot - I just joined and don't yet understand how to reply and navigate the site. At any rate, you guys seem to be lighting Rusty52 up on the idea that he wants to make the MSRA a musclecar club to bring in new membership, and I have to say that I think you are reading into what isn't there. The harsh reality of the street rod world is that younger people (40 and younger) are not being actively involved with or introduced to street rods at anywhere near the pace that the older rodders are dying off or becoming too laden with health issues to participate.

I am 35 and have been into cars of all ages since my teens, but as I have commitments in life my invlovement with MSRA activities is basically BTT50s - and quite honestly the Line Chaser. I, like most members I know, do not attend any (or very, very few) of the rod runs and picnics that MSRA puts on. It is not that they are not fun, I'm sure they are - it is just that a lot of people are very passive members and utilize only things like the Line Chaser.

The Super Secret Fun Run in Brainerd is a GREAT venue - in my opinion easily the best idea MSRA has had in quite some time. The reason for the success is that it opens up a whole new group of cars that can get involved with this great organization. Certainly many of the existing members have rods and musclecars and utilize this event to drive their non-rod iron, but I know of several people who have joined the club specifically for the SS/FR. These are guys who don't really go to BTT50s as they don't get the street rod thing. I understand that you will never convert everyone to a street rodder but getting these people involved with the club in a non-streetrod event is a good stepping stone.

And as a whole they represent a much younger audience. When Car Craft comes to the fairgrounds in July they draw maybe half as many cars and spectators as BTT50s, but the "under 40" crowd is probably 5 to 1 compared to BTT50s. Getting back to Rusty52 my point is this: Rusty does not seem to be saying that he wants to bring muscle cars to BT50s but if we are to thrive 10, 20 and more years down the road as a vibrant organization and hobby as a whole, we need to find ways to bring these two important factions of our hobby together. Again, that doesn't mean changing BTT50s, but I think the future of the MSRA needs to be more prevalent in the mindset of the leadership board if they want to have continued success down the road and keep the entire hobby thriving.

If we as enthusiasts are complacent and assume that our hobby will always be there, then we are leaving ourselves vulnerable to malicious legislation by groups that certainly don't like our cars - rods, british touring, or muscle cars - and really just don't like people. I think this thread discussion quickly went from Rusty52 and Badlefthand discussing MSRA leadership and direction to everybody thinking that BTT50s was at risk of being changed. I guess I am not reading that into Rusty52's letter and his points make some sense to me.
    Thanks for reading!

21. bryan6902

bryan6902

After Thursday night when a lot of people pick up their registration, there is already a multitude of fake window stickers. All you need is a copy machine and access to colored paper. The fakes are easy to spot as most people don't go to the trouble of copying the backside, look around and you'll see them.

22. oldpaint

oldpaint

Here is a link to security paper, window stickers could be made so that they can't be copied for a small expense.
    http://www.legalstore.com/Copy_Proof_Security_Paper_s/8.htm

23. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Window DECALS such as those used for the Car Craft Show may also be an option. No way to copy, OR TRANSFER TO ANOTHER VEHICLE which always seems to be a problem too.
    I told a buddy on the board that they should have made the 30th the final 50's! I realize it provides the club with MOST of its revenue for the year, but it also cost ALOT to host! It's over $300,000 JUST TO RENT THE GROUNDS! I'd be just as happy to eat hot dogs at the picnics and have a 10 page newsletter, then have all the BS of 50's to eat a fancy catered meal and get a monthly club "magazine".
    I was glad to see the creation of SSFR...kind takes things back to what the original back to the 50's were like when it was just a club event.

24. bobw

bobw

Thanks, Rusty52. Being proactive by getting info from the Board is how you get my vote, and my wife's, and son's, and grandson's. Oops, I guess the next two generations are getting involved, at least in this family.
    Does, NSRA mail the registration packet? I don't know but am curious.
    I know that Goodguys, Indy used a registration hotel at least til a few years ago. At Goodguys, Des Moines the registration/packet pickup is at a tent at the fairgrounds. Very convenient. However that's about 2,000 cars, not 12,000. I wouldn't be surprised if the advertising material in the registration packet pays for the whole registration operation. So, it could make money whereas mailing out only the necessities would cost money.
    MSRA new members for June was 97. For November, 61. For December it was 54. And most of the new memberships includes a spouse and children (not in the count). (I only had those 3 Linechasers available, but believe they represent the whole year). Could the children turn into hot rodders? I don't think us "old timers" are dying off as fast as new members are signing up.
    As for my comment, that seemed to stick in Mr. Ropeseals??? craw. Why would anyone go to an event that created more dissatisfaction than satisfaction for them? I quit going to Goodguys at Indy for that very reason. It is scheduled during the Indiana monsoon season and the drags are frequently rained out. And, if you're complaining about minor things, name a major event that doesn't have some of that connected to it. Been to a Vikings game lately? Now, I agree wholeheartedly with making any event more user friendly. But complaining to each other does nothing. Do like Rusty52, quiz the people running the organization, run for office.
    Having attended every BTTF's, I can say that I had a great time when there was a few hundred rods in the Midway Center parking lot, way back then and I have a great time with 12,000 cars at the fairgrounds now. I'm supposed to be a grumpy old man, but I'm simply having too much fun with hot rods to sweat the small stuff.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  25. I'm the grumpy old man. I'll be 69 at the next BTT50's and I don't walk as well as I used to. If I could get my credentials mailed to me, drive down on Friday morning, go straight in to the fairgrounds, and cruise around in the roadster for a few hours I'd be happy.

Oh, yeah....it's too damn big. I go to see hot rods, kustoms, and old race cars. "Numbers matching" '58 Chevy 4-doors don't do it for me. Maybe some limits are needed to reduce the numbers. I'd be willing to pay an increased entry fee if that were to happen.

26. bobw

bobw

JohnnyFast, You only got me by a year. Why don't you stop at the headquarters hotel Friday morning at 8:00, pick up your packet and cruise over to the fairgrounds at 9;00 when you can drive right in? Works for me.
    I'm a hardcore hot rodder and even have trouble accepting 1948 anything 4 doors as "rods". So I agree with you about the cars that are there that I don't care a whit about. However, restricting the cars could retard MSRA growth and the inevitible transition into what the "next" generation finds appealing, or at least affordable.
    Just like when digger engines went to the rear and funny cars became laughable, some of us "old timers" will find less appeal in the new order.

Like you, getting around is more difficult for me too. I don't try to cover the whole fairgrounds but instead kind of "quarter" it off and cover part each day. That way I tend to linger more at cars I like, not hustling off so I don't miss anything.

By the way, some of us have been sitting around Al Tschida's store trying to figue out who you are???:)

27. I ain't nobody ! :D

My partner and I ran a Pontiac A/D at Minnesota Dragways in the early to mid-60's. We attended a party at Tschida's house many years ago. As you might guess, my memory is somewhat blurred by the adult beverages of that evening and the 40+ years that have passed. :)

A guy I have coffee with from time to time has a '40 Willys gasser that Al won the '64 Nationals C/G class with. I was there as a spectator.

28. bobw

bobw

I crewed on that gasser. I helped Al in small ways up til he got the '33 Willys. We were probably at the same party. Al is finishing up a clone of that Willys. He tried to buy the original but the price was a little steep. I'll look ya up in the yearbook. We were running at Mn Dragways about the same time. I had a Thames for a short time (crashed).
    I better quit O/T-ing this thread.

29. TININDN

TININDN
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

I have been an MSRA member for some 15 years, and have been a volunteer worker at many BTT50's events. Done just about anything they asked, gotten an "early in" from time-to-time, and paid for it one year by working the gate in the rain from open to 11 AM. Even in most years, I never had a problem finding a choice place to park, even easier on Friday and Sunday, just by getting there early. If you think you're going to get a choice place by arriving at 10 AM on Saturday, forget it. The early bird gets the worm, even if it means waiting in line for a while, just the way things work in life.

Every big event that I have ever attended, including our own national Pontiac Club yearly convention, seems to require a stop at a registration table/kiosk to pick up your credentials. I haven't been down to Good Guys in Des Moines for a few years, but if I remember the last time, not being pre-registered, I think I had to make two stops. Same goes for Car Craft, and you even have to sign a waiver and insurance document. BTW, we also do this at the national Pontiac convention - when will this happen at BTT50's, or does it already by signing the credential pick-up book?

Yes, it's a PITA to go on Thursday to pick-up your BTT50's registration, especially if you can't go in the morning. For me, from Burnsville, it's a two hour ordeal, even in off-peak traffic. Setting-up a satellite location in the south suburbs might work. You would have to specify, on your pre-registration, where you were going to pick-up your credentials beforehand, requiring an extra step for MSRA volunteers to sort and distribute the right packets to the right location beforehand (adding another element for potential errors - we are all human), eg, check the box below if you wish to pick-up your credentials at the Burnsville location. Would a motel near the junction of 35W & 35E provide MSRA with free space on the gamble that they might sell some rooms, food and drink?

FWIW and for the fans of mailing, our Pontiac club "experimented" last year with doing part of the process via e-mail and internet to avoid the high cost of mailing - it had it's own new set of difficulties - we're back to mailing this year.

At any rate, I would be hard pressed to believe this issue hasn't been in the MSRA "think tank" already, because it seems to be a major point of this thread.

30. bobw

bobw

TININDN, Good information. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.