Register now to get rid of these ads!

A/C compressor questions...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JK, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Every A/C compressor I see is the Sanden type.

[​IMG]

My 93 350 has this type:

[​IMG]

Why do most people use the sanden type?
    Can I use the bottom comp with an aftermarket A/C unit?
    If not, can I get a sanden with a serpentine belt pulley?
    I'm just looking for ideas and answers. Thanks

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

that's what comes with most vintage kits these days. must be cheaper. also bracketry may be easier to fab.

3. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

4. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

A/C? What's that?

;)

5. R Pope

R Pope

Compressors are pretty much interchangeable, as long as there are hoses available to fit the other components.

6. Domino

Domino

The Sanden 508s are small and reliable. The R4 pancake compressor on your 93 is very common on GM vehicles. They fail often and are known for their "black death" feature. They leave pieces of their internals throughout the system. The Sanden one is available with a serpentine clutch. The mid 80s Jeep Cherokees use them.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  7. Jimv

Jimv

A/C compressor? now thats old school!!
    Jimv

8. It's what keeps the wife happy on the way to Austin.

Lighten up, Francis. Am I building your car?

9. Vintage and other suppliers sell the fittings to fit OEM compressor to aftermarket systems.

10. sanden unit is the best for a hot rod. it works great pulls very little hp. alan groove has the brackets and it comes in v belt are serpentine. stay with sanden not the knock offs. ask me how i know. old air hs a bracket to use the sanden along with your bracket.

11. I will look into that. Thanks.

12. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

13. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

I have the modern compressor on the serp belt set up on my new engine that I am about to drop into my 66 chevelle....

Both CLASSIC and VINTAGE air companies said it would work just fine and they will sell an entire kit MINUS the compressor and sell and adaptor to make it work!

14. BlueGhost

BlueGhost

I kept my Ford compressor when I put the classic auto air system in my truck. My 302 is from an 89 Mustang so I wanted the keep the compressor that worked with my serpentine set up. When I ordered my A/C sysetem I told them what I wanted to do, and they sent the lines without the compressor fittings crimped. Then once I had everything installed, I just went to a A/C shop and had them trim the lines and crip the fittings on the for the compressor.

15. lowmaster

lowmaster

Ask anyone that works on cars that are not hot rods and they will have their own horror stories about those pancake compressors. Yes, They will work with just about any system but be sure you use a brand new one and not a rebuilt. Also the key to having one last is to make sure the viscosity, amount, and type of oil is correct for your compressor. In my opinion the 508 compressor outperforms the R4, and we do have mount kits to adapt them to stock GM Serp Brackets.

16. Found it!!!
    It's the vintage air PN#141805.
    Thanks for the help.

17. Jimv

Jimv

Gee Wiz Sgt.Hulka i just ain't never seen a A/C unit on a "traditional" hotrod!!!
    JimV

18. B Blue

B Blue

Don't know about the million or so other guys, but I used the Sanden for its compact size, easy to fabricate mounts for, wide range of pulleys and reputation for long life.

Bill

19. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i run an a/c because i can't afford a traditional divorce,,and i'll listen to her ...she has the purse strings!!!