Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Need Opinions on My Proposed Tail Light Changes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cleatus, Dec 14, 2009.

1. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Having trouble making up my mind on the direction I want to take in re-doing my tail lights and I'd like to get some input.

Currently, I have '49 Ford lights mounted vertical, partially frenched into the "pods" that were created when I stretched the rear fenders. These were one of the first things that I customized on my project. They were OK for that time, but as I've refined that rest of the car over time, I feel it is time to go back and re-do them to something a little better.

Here's the way they look right now:

Attached Files:

2. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Here are some variations that I'm considering:

Attached Files:

3. # 1 is my favorite. I think that looks perfect. Are you thinking of using the Harley lenses from the Customs of the 40's post?

4. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

#1 by a long shot! Just make sure you keep the peak of the quarter soft, it looks kinda edgy in the photoshop. It needs to get softer and rounder as you make your way down to the pan.

Gonna look great, nice ideas!

5. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Yes, If I could find some.
    The way the top of those Harley lights curve, they would fit right in with the curved reveal shape that is in the guards already.
    This is the lens K13 is referring to:

Attached Files:

6. My personal opinion is lights on the fenders might be easier for the person following
    you to see. All rather creative ideas, however.

7. BBobb

BBobb

I frenched in some old chevy ovals here on mine...Not to bad

[​IMG]

8. 117harv

117harv

Number 1, all the way!

9. Yeah those would be perfect IMO!

10. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Here's another quick photoshop to show how I'd envision those 46 Harley Beehive lenses would look. I don't have a pair to look at in-person, so I can only guess on their actual size in comparison, but they do seem to look like they are thinner in profile than the width of my guards so I would probably need to heat them and expand them a little wider:

Attached Files:

11. BBobb

BBobb

Baddass!!!!

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I love this look!!!
    [​IMG]

13. Beano

Beano
    from Pa.

I like what you already have, but I am looking at it for the first time . I guess my next choice would be #5 . I think bumpers / bumper guards start to look a little bit too busy and out of place when lights start being put in them . Just my 2 cents ( aka. not worth much )

14. striper

striper

I must be wierd...I like it how it is. Maybe unfrenched. I think the length of the '49s keeps the rear of the car from looking stumpy.

Honestly, I don't know your car and if you just put up 6 options including the current look, that's what I would have chosen.

Pete

15. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I sorta agree with you - that's part of what is keeping me from making a decision. I like the way my bumper guards look now without lights - nice and clean. However, I've grown to hate the way the current tail lights look.
    #5 shows some lenses that I found that kind of complete the shape of my stretched fenders, but I would need to fabricate some bezels to make it look right. I don't want to just french them in, I want them to look more coachbuilt style (earlier era than tunneling lights).

16. striper

striper

I think setting the lights in the bumper ticks all the boxes for classy, clever, cool etc. It sure makes a nice looking bumper....but I don't think it's the best solution for the car overall

17. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Here's a couple pix to show the rest of my car so that people who aren't familiar with it get a better idea of how all this would look together.

Attached Files:

18. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I'm totally open to ideas and new photoshops too - you don't have to just pick amongst the samples I've shown.

19. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Cleatus, what year are you looking to have your car represent now? Late 40s?

That is a tough one for sure. They look good in the bumper guard but I agree that you can also make the case that by cleaning up the body, you are cluttering up the bumper. You might be making their visibility even worse though too. Not an issue at night, but in bright sun... well we all know there's no shortage of idiots out there.

Oh,, I see you posted pics... so the portals are '56 right?

20. #1 for me too....gives your car that early feel and shows off the smooth, flowing lines of the fenders rather than making your eye stop at the tail lights. Reminds me a lot of the Ogden Buick (although I like your bumper guard better)...

[​IMG]

Bryan

21. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

The concept I've tried to keep during the build is as if someone started customizing it in the late 40's and then made a few more additional updates as they kept it into the mid-50s.

22. 19Fordy

19Fordy

'41 Stude lights in the fenders are the way to go. Putting lights in the guards makes the rear of the car look to "bulky" and plain.

23. Rusty65

Rusty65
    from Florida

Sweet, any way you look at it.

24. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Believe me, that is a consideration. If I move the lights to the guards it would effectively move the bulb down 3 to 4 more inches. And since the back is already near the ground, I feel that even the current placement of the lights is low enough that if anyone is following at all close, they are already below their sightline. The only positive is that I think I could make the new lights look brighter than the 49 fords that are currently mounted at an upwards angle which seems to dim the projected light.

25. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Definitely been considering those too.
    The only thing is - I like to do everything a little different.
    But sometimes, I tend to out-trick myself.

26. LabRat

LabRat

Personally....I think the way they are now provides more balance and symmetry , the most important points of beauty ....

27. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I really don't have a problem with the taillights as is...when I drove my '40 Stude to Cali years ago. I only had the tallights at the bottom of the fender like yours...I got rearended by a blonde that said she didn't see my taillights...

Visibility being what it is...I'd say don't put them in the guards...you want lots of red at the rear of a car...I put LED's in mine and they're bright during the day...and blinding at nite...and it still looks like stock taillights...

R-

28. Beano

Beano
    from Pa.

Wow, seeing the whole car definitely makes my opinion from earlier unchanged . I really like what you have and I wouldn't change anything .
    Nice car , really nice .

29. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

What's the rear bumper guard off of?

30. semigloss

semigloss
    from Australia