Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early hurst history - trivia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dennis kirban, Dec 13, 2009.

1. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

Kirban 2 cents worth

Finally getting back to this forum as the format is different from ones I am currently on.

Probably the one common thread that 99% of you are familar with is Hurst. I am referring to the original Hurst company when it was first owned by Hurst/Campbell and then simply known as Hurst.

Among Hurst collectors I am fairly well known for having the rarest collection of memobila from Hurst. Items such as the original artwork of the Hurst wheel, prototype spinner, prototype hurst olds emblem even the banner Linda Vaughn won embroider Miss Golden Shifter.

To open like to play a little trivia...

Hurst started in the mid 1950s....what two products did they do prior to getting involved with shifters. One such product is probably better known than the other.
    The other because of a lawsuit threat they stopped producing.

What 2 am I referring to?

the clock is ticking......

[email protected]

A bit of history about my self we have been in the automotive aftermarket business since the late 1970s. Mostly for newer cars from the mid 1960s and newer.

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

3. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

jaws of life, VW bumpers?

4. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

Answers thru post 3 one is correct VW bumpers very good as that is the one that had the issue of a law suit with VW and VW eventually startd to make their own.

Jaws of life is not correct that came a long later actually Bill Campbell was the main brains behind that project prior to be canned in 1969.

Leaves one part not named yet.

[email protected]

Funny that the hardest one was guessed first.

5. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Just re-read your original post, missed the prior to shifters part. I was thinking two products other than shifters.

Motor mount / engine conversion kits, I think?

6. chop32

chop32

"The other because of a lawsuit threat they stopped producing."
    When I read this, the first thing that came to my mind was the dropped center links that they made for '49 - '51 Fords.

7. Engine mounts....Geo Hurst came to our shop in Dallas driving a Bronze 56 Chev as he was out looking for distributors......yes, we took his product on board.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Nerf bars and bumpers,,they also made steering parts for dropped suspension

9. swimeasy

swimeasy

When did the brakes come into play?

10. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

BINGO you nailed it....motor mounts was a big thing for them prior to hitting the home run with shifters....wil have more info tonite.

[email protected]

I do not know how to post photos however MR AMC GUY does it for me and will post them under my thread with my comments as I got some rare photos.

11. theamcguy

theamcguy

Kirban 2 cents worth

The first production version of the dual was offered in the early Grand Prixs and Oldsmobile Starfire. What you are viewing here is a hand done sketch of the basic layout of the magazine ad which is shown to the rite.

They had the two piece knob just like the very early manual shifters did from Hurst. Again referring to prior to the GTOs time frame. This is original art work you are viewing form my collection. Way before digital and computers.

Clever idea with the key to lock the manual shifter portion. As many of you know in 1967 the Hurst dual gate became an option on the new turbo 400 transmission. Same basic set up was offered in 1968 with the difference being in the actual mounting plate since the console for 1968 was different than the 1967.

Watch for more info in this thread. Much of what I will write is based on my memory so dates and information being dead on 100% accurate may not always be the case.

Big thanks to Mr AMC who posts all my photos.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  12. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth
    Here is a shot of an original Hurst Dual Gate display with George Hurst and probably his first wife. Not sure of the time frame probably 1961-1962 since it shows the first design dual gate.
    This was probably for some manufacturers event may even be SEMA or something along those lines.
    [email protected]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Also known as Anco Industries

[​IMG]

14. Interesting history info here! Can't beat the HAMB!

15. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

ok ,,List all of there Pennsylvania,,locations

16. Abomination

Abomination

17. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

To my knowledge they came in later in the 1960s....by early 1970s the writing was on the wall so to speak with 4 speed shifters prformance cars insurance costs etc so they looked at other things to expand their name.

[email protected]

HH Hurst Hatches for one thing

18. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

My Dads print ing business where I worked was around the corner from their Glenside shop...I was not yet 16..I would go there and get decals for my schoolbooks....

Course in 1965 is when they made their big move and put everything under one roof in their new Street Road location in Warminster, PA.

My wife worked at Hurst around 1971 time frame for about a year in the PR department.

Bill Campbell by the way is still alive and well....I did a DVD interview on him several years ago. He still has the LaSalle he dated his future wife in back in the early 1950s.

[email protected]

In my collection I have the actual blue print for the Hurst bldg in Warminster.

19. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

Here is a bit of trivia see how quick someone hits on the rite answer.

Hurst being located in the Northeast area of PA....another well known automotive aftermarket company existed about 5-10 miles away at the same time.

They also tried their hand at floor shfiters without much luck. However, they did make a very very successful aftermarket part for cars that was very popular in the 1950s....

name the part?

name the company?

Name the town?

the clock is ticking

[email protected]

20. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Yes ,,you forgot Abington though ;)

21. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Judson

Superchargers etc

Conshocken

Also made in The Philly area

Cure Ride Shocks

22. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

Your rite they were on York Road in Abington also had place near willow grove airbase as well from what I remember....the warminster place was the first time they put everything under one roof.

Landing the Pontiac account was the home run for Hurst at that point in time.....of all the a body cars its a safe bet the GTO produced more 4-speed versions over Olds and Buick....Chevy marched to their own drum sticking with the muncie shifter....

Pontiac did short change the public by using their own shifter linkage which was inferior to the Hurst threaded rod system....inferior meaning the threaded rod system had more positive shifts and could hold up under duress.

The Abington location was before my recollection...but I know where it was.

[email protected]

23. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban cents worth

Good try but not the answer I am seeking as I don't believe Judson every made shifters....I did have a Judson supercharger believe it or not on my 1961 Volvo 544 (this is the model that resembled a 1948 Ford).

The Cure Ride shocks...I think I deal with that person still a one man shop he supplies me with a special shock I by for Pontiacs....his name escapes me at the moment as I do not order them myself been dealing with him for a dozen years or longer.

keep trying...

the clock is still ticking

[email protected]

24. deucemac

deucemac

I had the pleasure of meeting and becoming friends with George Hurst when he came to San Diego 1977 to evaluate a diagnostic system that was being marketed at the time. The Ford dealer where I ran the chassis dyno was chosen for the evaluation. George was to be a marketing guru if the thing worked ( it never did very well). While we were waiting around he told me his whole history which was fascinating. He originally started putting in Cad and Olds engines in Navy brass Continentals in Philly which lead to the adapter business with Bill Campbell. They struck it rich(or so they thought) when they began making VW bumper guards and Cocoa floor mats an selling them to VW dealers all over the country. They virtually stopped adapter building to concentrate on these 2 items until VW saw the opportunity and made them available from the factory. Over night they were back to the drawing board so to speak. George took that '56 Chevy with a Buick engine in it and began to visit all the speed shops he could west of Philly. As he related to me, he got to somewhere around Joliet Ill.cold (below 0) and broke in the middle of winter because the Chevy had no heater and there were several holes in the firewall because they had fitted various engines for fitting before the Buick. George called Bill Campbell collect to ask if he should keep on going or throw in the towel and come home. Campbell told him to get home as soon as possible because all the sales stops he made had paid off and they needed him home to help production. He also told me about the time AMC was rolling out the first SC/Rambler in Wisconsin and had asked him to drive it off the line for publisity shots outside the plant. It was supposed to happen in early to mid February. When that day came, George got a phone call from AMC officials telling him when to arrive. He asked them what the weather was and was told it was -20 or so. George paused a minute, though back to the frozen night in Joliet and said the the official,"send me the check". He said he always felt bad about that but finally made enough money that he promised himself that he'd NEVER freeze again. AMC paid him $200 per car for his name and that wasn't worth catching pneumonia for. Wonderful humble guy with zillions of great stories. SO, my guess would be VW bumper guards and Cocoa floor mats.

25. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Are you talking about Almquist in Milford, PA?

26. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

No on your quess....this company had no connection with Hurst, the one item they did make during the 1950s that was custom aftermarket automotive was a huge hit...they may have been the largest seller of this part.

They also tried to make shifters but no match for Hurst...ironically this company I am referring to was maybe 10 miles from Hurst.

Panel seems to be momentarily stumped?

[email protected]

My Hurst knowledge is more from the 1960s time frame and up.

27. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Yeah think the old building is a bank now or something was just down there last week

28. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

Great story.....he came a long way to get $200 per car from AMC that was big money in the day....

I got a good friend that in 1989 did a neat little logo for a car that Toyota was coming out with...he did a oval looking circle with a slanted L in the middle......

The car? The Lexus....he'd made more money had he said rather have a nickel a car.....safe bet the Lexus has been a good selling brand....

true story

[email protected]

When I interview Bill Campbell several years ago he told me about the issues with VW....reason they had to cease making the bumper guards.

Here is a question what company did Bill Campbell and a few of his buddies buy after he got canned from Hurst?

29. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Airheart and Shiefer Clutches,,but think thats just before he left

30. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

Sorry wrong answer...got to think bigger....alot bigger

Its not often one individual can be part owner of one company that is a leader in the field and switch directions later and score with another company totally unrelated and be at the top of the chart as well.

[email protected]