Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harbor Frieght Tig welder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the metalsurgeon, Dec 13, 2009.

1. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

ok i curious about the portable Tig welder from harbor frieght ,does anyone have one?how does it perform?
    I already have a Miller 180 sd which is superb.I do,occasionally work on site at customers workshops.this tig welder could come in handy ?
    any feedfack appreciated?

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

won't last very long.

3. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Did you get the one that switches from flux core to reg wire? I bought one for 40 dollars at a yard sale and even though it works, I rather have my linde running.

4. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

he said TIG not MIG.

5. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

I would never buy anything from HF that has moving or electrical parts...my 2 cents.

6. Rot'nRodder

Rot'nRodder

7. Check out tigs by Everlast. I just got a Tig/Plasma and love it. My buddy has the same machine for about two years now and never has a problem.

8. your going to take a harbor freight tool to a jobsite? that'd be funny:eek:

9. Jimv

Jimv

I think everyone hates harbor freight for no good reason, just that it puts "decent" tools in the shade tree mechanics hands for 1/4 of the price of anyone else's chinese crap!!I suggest you buy it, if it breaks return it if its OK keep it.They garrentee (?) all there stuff. go for experience then you'll find out if its ok or not.
    I personally have a ton of shit from HF & never had a problem
    JimV

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  10. mottsrods

mottsrods

Stay away from it....go buy you a Miller Maxstar 150STL... 115v and 220v, dc stick and dc tig only though... but only weighs about 15 lbs.

11. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

i got my miller syncrowave tig off c-list.

Half price, and it came with a bottle. Still had the display plastic bag hangin on it.

12. I assume that it's like every other product they sell- it's completely unserviceable. When it breaks- it's done.

13. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

I don't hate Harbor Freight they have great disposable tools.. I would never buy anything that I would have to do percision work with from them...

I usually just buy tools to cut up, weld on, heat, bend, etc from them... I did buy a gantry crane and a couple engine stands from them.. But I replace all the bolts with grade 8's...

As for a welder I'd go with a Miller unit, or something from Snap On... Always had good luck with my Snap On welders..

Check Craig's List too you might find something nice for good $$..

14. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I would buy an air tool or electric grinder but I would NEVER buy or use a welder from HF !

RetroJim

15. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

its what you do with, and how you operate the tool in conjunction with your skill level.ok yes its a harbor freight product and if it happens to work great,put a sticker of your favorite disneyland character over the HB decal!if your that vain.
    Ive worked with guys that buy only Snap-on planishing hammers because of the name only,when there is equally good metal hammers out there on the market......and the funny thing is they may as well use it as an ornament to look at as they cant use it.
    the question was 'has anyone used these machines'

thank you for everyone elses comments.i was just curious about the product,but if i needed to get another Tig id be looking at some of your suggestions.

thanks all.

16. if you do try one out and it perfoms the way you need it to cool, if not you can always return it. and by chance it does work then buy the extended warranty. post your results here good or bad as tool feedback is always needed.

17. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I know I'm not answering your question, I just like Harbor Freight. I buy a lot of disposables and other tools too, there because of the price. I guess I've been lucky with Harbor Freight stuff in general. I have their flux-core wire-feed, the lowest price one they had. It has performed without a glitch, have ran three of the BIG reels of wire through it in about 5? years, forget when I got it. The only maintenance I have had to do on it is replace the copper tip that the wire slides through every once in a while, and clean the shield on the tip. It's my opinion that's the nature of the beast, not who made the machine.

18. slamdpup

slamdpup

same here..buy the waranty people...i got a new 220 mig welder today..with a 2 year waranty..for $180...if it fucks up..then i will take it back and get another for the next 2 years..knock on wood all my tools have lasted me..

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ramps to put the 180SD in the back of a pickup truck or on a small trailer are cheaper and will last longer. My 250DX has gone on-site a few times.

20. diggers4life

diggers4life

My wife's grandpa has a Harbor Freight portable TIG welder. I've used it a few times, and it works ok. We have Miller welders at work, and it's not near as nice as welding with one of those machines. But if you're just doing hobby stuff at home, it probably wouldn't be that bad.

It does have an issue though. When you turn it on, it trips the circut breaker. When you flip the breaker back on (with the welder still on), the breaker stays on, and everything's fine. Something's obviously not quite right with the wiring inside the welder.

Few things to think about:
    1) If it breaks, I don't think there is anyone who services them.
    2) It has a short duty cycle. I don't know exactly how long it is, but if I remember right, it's not long. Might want to check on that.
    3) Consumables might be hard to find. (Parts for the torch: cups, collets, things like that.)

If it was me, I'd save my money and buy a quality machine that will last for many years. I think you'll be happier in the long run. :)

21. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

I've always been told to purchase the same kind of welder or computer printer that your employer has at work! You save a bunch of money on the inevitable consumables in the long run: Tungsten, gas cups, etc.,or.......printer ink! Seriously though, if you have a little bit of time to wait, just keep watching Craigslist and the cities within a 200-250 miles radius or so. Lots of things like welders and other equipment popping up for sale because of this terrible economy. About two years ago, I purchased one of the small Miller 200-amp portable "suitcase" TIG Welders from Craigslist for 'bout $900. It was the TIG welder that I always lusted for but NEVER thought I'd own because of the high price of brand new ones. Good things really do come to those who wait!

22. chevyshack

chevyshack

Nothing wrong with Harbor Freight tools. They are just chinese made and not name brand so alot of guys are bias. I used to buy strickly craftsmen till 3 years ago. Now i buy any tool that has a lifetime gaurantee. They all break and as long as they replace it with another i'll buy it. My welder is from walmart. Ive had it 7 years now. Its supposed to be a short cycle but i use it till im done. Payed 200 bucks and its payed for itself.

23. Kenny P

Kenny P

I've had cheapest welder they sell for 6 years now, built over 20 bicycle frames and a few repairs on a motorcycle frame with it and not a failure. It is messy though, nothin' a little grinding won't fix. :rolleyes:

24. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

thats a fair point ,thanks !

25. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

keep to miller and lincoln you will be glad you did

26. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

I can vouge for their hammers. they work well and are cheaper.. don't think I'd chance a tig or any other weldr from HF

27. If you're a skilled welder, you can probably make it serve it's purpose as well as any other unit, but quality wise it's more suited to occasional, hobby use than something you want to rely on to make your living with. Just the nature of the beast. I've broken HF tools, Craftsman tools, even Snap-on tools, some break easier than others but they can all be broken. HF I've ended up with better stuff a few times when they were out of stock on exactly what I broke, so I can't complain. Buy the warranty if you go with their unit.

28. yardgoat

yardgoat

Ive bought small stuff from HF but something you need to depend on i dont know.Has anyone delt with there customer service ? And if it broke how long till its made good ?If you do a lot of welding i wouldnt even consider it,they might back it up but when?2months or more you could have bought a name brand for the money and time lost.Not counting shipping ect.Ive bought cheep stuff that lasted and stuff that broke looking at it,i would say ITS A COIN TOSS.Good luck....................YG

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that. I would of spit it all over the screen. Thanks for the laugh. :eek:

Let's not even joke about stealing like that. Not cool at all. Really. :eek:

30. Jim Sideways

Jim Sideways
    from Ohio

WTF? HF TIG...... Anything with a motor or somekind of circuit board from HF... You are just asking for problems. By the way I have some nice land for sale down south if you are interested....... Don't get it. You get what you pay for. I would say you are paying for a headache Stay with Lincoln JMO!!!