Register now to get rid of these ads!

Keystone Wheels History????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodChassis, Dec 10, 2009.

1. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

I've looked on Cragar wheels history page, and although they sell them now, they offer no indicator as to when they were released. Anyone have any idea?

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="1063" width="668"><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" height="70" valign="top" width="595">[​IMG]</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="960" width="34">
    </td> <td height="960" valign="top" width="322">[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Keystone&#8217;s original products in 1947 were replated chrome bumpers and other chrome auto parts. The concept arose as a result of the sandstorms that were common in then underdeveloped areas of California. The storms would sand blast the paint and chrome on cars causing owners and insurers to perform expensive repairs. Paint and body shops would do the repainting but the chrome parts were generally replaced with expensive new parts. Keystone&#8217;s founder Mr. Virgil Benton, had a small chrome plating shop in Ontario, CA and realizing the opportunity, convinced insurers and body shops to let him replate the damaged chrome parts at a significantly less cost than replacing them. Due to the cost savings, the concept gained acceptance and in a short time, expanded into straightening, repairing, as well as replating, collision damaged bumpers. During the 50&#8217;s, 60&#8217;s and 70&#8217;s with encouragement from the auto insurance companies and body shops, Keystone established bumper recycling plants in the Midwest and Northeast states, and a new service was established.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Beginning in the late 70&#8217;s to early 80&#8217;s, the use of painted plastic bumpers started to gain wide acceptance by the new car manufacturers. Keystone responded to this market change by developing recycling techniques to restore collision damaged plastic bumpers to &#8220;like new&#8221; condition and today operates over 30 plastic bumper recycling centers across the North America.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Beginning in the mid to late 80&#8217;s brand new replacement body parts such as fenders, hoods and grills became available from independent parts manufacturers. Keystone&#8217;s long established distribution system to the collision repair industry was a perfect compliment to the manufacturer production expertise and Keystone quickly became the nation&#8217;s leading supplier of independently produced collision repair parts.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The most recent addition to our product line is our aluminum wheel-remanufacturing program. Started in 1996 with a single location in Denver, Colorado, Keystone is now the nation&#8217;s leading wheel remanufacturer with 10 regionally located plants offering a top quality, environmentally friendly alternative to new replacement wheels.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In June of 1996, the company completed it&#8217;s Initial Public Offering and currently trades on NASDAQ exchange under the symbol KEYS[/FONT]
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

3. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I do remember then in the late 60's to early 70's somewhere around there . I think they tried to compete against Cragar SS back then but didn't work out to well . they were big in the later 70's in the VAN days .

RetroJim

4. Keystone wheels...........the official wheels of Monte Carlos everywhere!

bowie and enloe like this.

5. Kevin -- here are a set of Keystone Rogues that were released I think around '68-'70. Rogues were the precursors to the Keystone Klassics that were rampant in the '70.

[​IMG]

6. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks guys. We're trying to determine what can and can't get into the Pile Up, and wheels are always a stickler. Over the last few years I've been researching what wheels were released and when, and trying to get HARD FACTUAL dates of release to base our decisions on. Like the Cragars. Promoted in 1963, and released under the Cragar Wheel Co. (a newly formed division based on orders received on the road during the 1963 campaign) in 1964. That's FACT, straight from Cragar. I even have film of the original Shake Rattle and Run gasser in 1964 sporting a set of Cragars. Now we know, and they meet Pile Up criteria.

The Keystones were next on my list.

7. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

After a quick search, this is the earliest reference I could find.

Hot Rod, August 1965.
    aprilmayjune2008 446.jpg

8. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Wow. That means if someone can find an ad, or actual history one year earlier they'd make the cutoff!!!! Wow. I thought for sure they were 70's also.

9. Ghost28

Ghost28

I had these on this 65 satelite around 1971. I bought them at
    K mart...John

Attached Files:

Lil'Alb likes this.
  10. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Hot Rod, November 1964!
    aprilmayjune2008 447.jpg

11. Even if they make it would you WANT them in !?:p:D

bowie likes this.
  12. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I've never been a big fan of them either. I guess if he wanted, they could turn a few away for having the later black webbing and or center caps.

aprilmayjune2008 446.jpg 32 SERIES 32 Keystone Klassic Chrome Composite RWD.jpg

13. 54_Nailhead

54_Nailhead

The Keystone "Kustomag" wheel was in the 1965 Moon Equipment catalog also.

Attached Files:

14. Gator

Gator

When I was in high school they were the SHIT! I could never afford 'em though, I ran chrome 'Astro' slots on my '67 Mustang.

To me now though, they only seem to look right on late 60 early 70's muscle cars.

Just Gary likes this.
  15. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

I know I'm in the minority, but on certain cars nothing looks better than a 15" Keystone. I think they're all post '64 though. B and E body Mopars, AMXs, drag style early Mustangs.

CarsR4Driving likes this.
  16. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I have a set of 4 spokes all aluminum but boy is they rough.

17. 55xgasr

55xgasr

Sox & Martin made them more visible as a major sponsor in Super Stock late 60's. I have a set on my '69 S/S Barracuda - 15x4.5 fronts, and 15x12 rears...The early wheels had silver painted inside the spokes (like mine) and then later were black as in the '70 GTO in the movie Two Lane Blacktop.

Attached Files:

enloe likes this.
  18. 55xgasr

55xgasr

Another early S&M

Attached Files:

19. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

I have the set I bought used in about '72 hanging on the garage wall. The rears still have the Concorde L60-15s mounted. Always figured I'd get another Mopar someday. They're like the ones in the b/w photo above. Big center caps, positive offset. No Ronnie Sox tires though.

enloe likes this.
  20. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Hahaha. Nice Tman. That's not the point though. If you're going to say, "The Criteria
    To get into the show, your car must be a 1964 or earlier &#8220;Hot Rod&#8221; or &#8220;Custom&#8221; built in a &#8220;Traditional Style.&#8221;" then you have to at least be able to say, "ok, those don't get in because they were made after 1964."

I've been railro, uh, put in charge of the inspection for the last few years. And am happy to do it. But I want my judgment on parts to at least have some fact based years behind it.

And before anyone brings up rally wheels, we've talked about those for years. And we're still on the fence with them. For young guys with no cash, they are a cheap steel wheel. Hence us being on the fence about them for years.

21. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Dick Landy ran them in 64.

Attached Files:

22. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

When did aluminum slots come in? Sorry not trying to change the direction but sure you'll need to look into it.

23. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Slots? Like Ansen Sprints and Fenton slots? I've seen them on drag cars that I believe were photographs taken around '58 or '59. Anyone? Anyone?

24. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Yes. Just wondering. Saw a few sets up there this year.
    Guess I'll keep the chrome reverse so I can come back next year.

25. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Been digging through old Hot Rods this morning and it looks like Ansen did'nt introduce the Sprint until late '67.

26. giggy62

giggy62

Do Ya think my 49 jeepster makes the cut? for the pile up:eek:

Attached Files:

27. bill3337

bill3337

I put this set of 5 spoke Keystone's on my '67 Camaro in '67 when I bought it new. They're still on it today.

Attached Files:

28. Dirtbikedave

Dirtbikedave

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I've got a set of these 4 spoke Keystone Klassics on my VW Caddy (rabbit pick up) and i want to know if anyone knows of their sort of age

[​IMG]

I'm also after a centre cap #209576 if anyone can help?

29. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

Attached Files:

30. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

The ones I had, I bought in 80 at J C Penny auto store. 13 in., 4 0n 4.