Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Tapered axle ? I have one if you need it..... :)

2. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Does Ronnie Gardner drive for Nadine Gardner in CRA?

3. Jerracer

Jerracer

Well sort of. Nadine is married to Jack Jr. but she quit driving and they've stepped back in the ownership roll. Jack's brother Jeff (Ronnie's dad) is running the operation now.

4. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Am i right or wrong; was Ronnie Duman from Dearborn, Mich.?

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

6. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Josh- Your belly pans look great. Hopefully we will never see that side of the car when it is finished.;)

7. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Yeah and no.. The actual HART #23 would have, and it still does. (no I don't need one, but thanks) But, the car above is NOT being done as a HART car.. and it's being done for a different time frame, You'll see.

On top of that.. Tapered rearends are a pain. :cool:

Now, go back and edit your post so that all the pics are not up twice! :D

8. ZOOOM

ZOOOM

Uhhhh....
    I think those pitchurs being up there twice is just SUPER!

ZOOOM

9. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

HA hA! yeah... I just like to try to mess with Roy. (Racer5c) He and I have known each other for a while. He's a detail nut.. and I sometimes just do things to fire him up.

Roy, your going to re-define the "Grouchy old racer" term for sure!! :D

But,, for now, lets all give him a nod of approval for making the cover of this book.

Congrats... Gas it up "Clabber girl" :p (Lucky ass!)

Attached Files:

10. Yah, tapered rearends are a pain!

11. racer5c

racer5c

ok I guess the splined axle can slide by this time

12. Roy is that really you on the cover? Is that a Watson?

13. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

If Roy doesn't mind me jumping in, that is Roy and it is a Watson I believe. When Ed Watson gave me a copy of the book my first question was "Is that Roy?"

14. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

Josh,

How do you make your belly pans? Do you have a Pexto roller? I have a fixture that I made out of an old Ford torque tube. Makes the prefect radius!

Nice work, keep us posted!

Sean

15. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

Oh, and another thing. My 1974ish Stapp car came with a splined rear. Does anybody know when they came out? I've been told that the splines came earlier than most think, and that the tapered were around longer. Just curious if a splined would be right or wrong for this car.

Sean

16. racer5c

racer5c

Yes it's Watson's car Indy Mile

17. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

No nothin as high tech as a Pexto thingie.. :D ha ha!

If you look those pics, the lower ones of Tyler cleaning the rearend and In-out box, you'll see my "Fixture tube" bolted to the table.. I slde the steel under it, tighten it down and fold it up. The sharpie writing is notes to myself of how to measure it, and where center ends up..

Thanks,

J Shaw

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A few more Duman pics for Spike. He won the Little 500 back to back 59/60 in the Stevens 37.

Attached Files:

19. pavementends

pavementends
    from Utah

A.J. Watson fans. This is an Indy roadster nose and tail at the Justice Brother's museum in Duarte, California. Very cool pieces. Now if we can get "the rest of the story." Where has this been and is there an interesting story?
    Gary

Attached Files:

20. wynns #1

wynns #1

I believe the splined axles were available for the roadsters as early as late 50s or early 60s. By the mid 60s, they found their way to the sprinters. I think Hopkins1 can verify.

21. jimg12

jimg12

I think the #37 car Duman won the Little 500 in was powered by a GMC truck engine. Am I right?
    Jim Graybeal

22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yes, with a 12 port Fischer head. The car owner was Hoy Stevens who, I believe, bought out the Horning/Fischer deal and was quite the guru among the inline set.

BTW- Johnny White also won the Little 500 driving for him in 57.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  23. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

Ha! I knew it!!

What impresses me most about the guy's who did it "in the day"; They worked with what they had. In those days, there wasn't internet, TV, Cable, English wheels, Pexto rollers, hammer forms etc.etc. Guys worked into the evening because there wasn't anything else, and created works of art. I remember the story of the tail being built on a car that my dad drove up Pikes Peak. The guy started with a sheet of aluminum, a hammer and a sand bag, and proceeded to form a compound beauty. The eye and the talent will always impress me! If only I could do the same.

Josh, Glad you are keeping this alive!!

Sean

24. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

I've a question that I originally thought of while on the Modified Stock Car thread here.

Does anyone know what happened to the late Paul Okrent's (Huntington, NY) collection of both midget & stock car photo's? .. Paul at one time worked for ANSCO film and had the first color photo's of race cars that I remember seeing.

When color film, color processing & color printing was still super expensive .. he was able to get all free through ANSCO.

25. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Does anyone have pictures of ...........
    "Bashful" Bobby Alberts ...... "Lover Boy" Ernie Mc Coy ...... Andy "The Pepsodent Kid" Furci ...... Ed "Dutch" Schaefer, etc., etc. of east coast (mostly ARDC) midget fame they can post?

26. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

There's also a guy out here on Long Island (NY) .. Harold Seaman (hseamanus here on H.A.M.B.) who can also do just that (and more).

Here's a copy of my post about him on Page #187 of the 60's - 70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds thread.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    For those of you who don't know Harold Seaman .. I'll TRY to give you an outline of this multi faceted -- multi talented guy.

Born & brought up in Riverhead, NY, he's an extraordinary, talented sign painter / letterer that has done not only all of the Jarzombek cars .. but many of the modifieds on the Long Island scene. He's done pace cars .. including (but not only) an outstanding job on all of ours while I was at the Riverhead Raceway. (Camaros & Corvettes from Buzz Chew Chevy, etc.) .... He's done what we now refer to as Cup cars at Daytona & Indy cars at Indianapolis .. and much in between. He's rubbed (and maybe bent) elbows with the best.

He's done other open cockpit cars too -- midgets & sprints.

That's only part of his abilities!!

He can pound tin .. hand hammer & shape aluminum panels that is .. over sand bags or bucks & such .. into intricate body parts with complex compound curves, with the best of the master craftsmen of that almost lost art.

In his shop he's worked on current midgets. He's owned and restored a midget .. the "Seaman Offy" (maybe more than one?) and certainly played a big hand in the historical preservation of others .. stock cars too.

The famous former Bill Meis "MIGHTY MOUSE" .. a Don Edmunds AutoResearch built SESCO powered midget (currently owned my Stan Lobitz) sits in Harold's shop awaiting his magic touch.

With Ricky Jarzombek, he was involved in & is currently involved in the historical preservation of other Charlie Jarzombek / Jarzombek family team cars. As you already know he owns the Jarzombek (offset) coupe.

I'm told that in "hard core" vintage midget races he can more than hold his own, as a hard charging chauffer.

He certainly knows more about that Offy engine than many who currently own them .. probably more than many who owned & raced them back in the day.

Talk to him about todays stock &/or open cockpit cars .. their chassis techology, their engines, etc. and he's current - up to date.

As Spike Gillespie (a former open cockpit hot shoe of note) recently said on another H.A.M.B. thread .. "Harold is the second most enjoyable guy I (Spike G.) know." ...... (Spike himself "probably" being the first .. LOL!!)

Oh!! .. He's a retired IBM high tech guru too.

That probably only skims the surface of Harold Seaman & his knowledge, talents & abilities.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

28. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Yes, 301 c. i, GMC owned by Hoy Stevens

29. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

These pics are from Hatfield Speedway

30. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Trivia time!
    "The Odd Couple"-- O.K. the feller on the left is obvious but name the feller on the right (yes, he was a race car driver but of a different genre)

Attached Files:

• jb1.jpg
      jb1.jpg
      File size:
      171.2 KB
      Views: