Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wood in a Chevrolet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodncustom, Dec 8, 2009.

1. rodncustom

rodncustom

Is it worth replacing with steel if the wood is currently good?

2. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i would say no ! if the wood is in good shape i see no need for replacement ! the last 34 chevy pickup cab i had spent the better portion of 25 years outside and the wood was toast !

3. Hello, I met a guy at a car show once that had a real nice looking 32 Chevy coupe. Nice paint, tires and wheels etc. I chatted with him about his car and looks were decieving. When he opened the doors , they sagged and squeaked. When he drove down the road, he squeaked also. He said he had the chance to change to steel but thought the wood was good enough shape. Now he has a hotrod with alot of money in it , to much to tear down and start over so he just lives with it for now. I have a 31 and a 32 Chevy and got rid of wood on both and am glad I did. My 2 cents says if your going to drop a ton of money into your Chevy, I would get rid of the wood.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  4. Wood moves alot with the changing seasons. At the very least, I would use screws in lieu of the little nails that hold the skin to the wood frame. I am replacing mine with steel, but the wood was not salvageable.

5. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I just read this, I thought it was about some girl called Chevrolet who's come out and said she's having an affair with Tiger.

6. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Yes. Those cars squeeked and creaked even when brand new.

7. good question would what do you plan on doing with it? decent running 6 and no hole shots, you should be fine. blown motor and taking it drag racing...replace the wood. Alot depends on what you want to do with it

8. Ghost28

Ghost28

What year chevy? And how taken apart is it? Most of the chevys that I have worked on, the bodys have been in a gazillion pieces. And I rather like them that way cause the builds are easier. And I usually replace most or all of the wood with a steel structure...John

9. rodncustom

rodncustom

1934 Cabriolet in restored condition. My plan would be to "upgrade" the suspension and drivetrain and that's it.

10. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

leave it alone. when the doors start sagging too much or the body starts buckling,then worry about it. i replaced all the wood in my 30 sedan and it lasted forever....it creaked and moaned and groaned and ever once in a while i would find little nails in the driveway.
    to put in metel id the wood is good is not really worth the effort and expense. i had a hopped up 54 235 in her and a 5 speed and 336 rearend. didn't seem to bother the body.

11. rsg2506

rsg2506

I replaced the wood in the door posts and some of the wood in the doors on my 34. I put a steel floor in. That was about 12 years ago. No problems. The doors open and close fine and I've driven the car quite a bit.

12. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Good wood will last indefinately. Wood that has gone bad is the result of the top and windows leaking on a car that has sat outside in the weather for a couple of decades. A good indicator of general condition of wood is to open up the upholstery on a door and check the wood in the bottom of the door. The first wood to rot out is in the bottom of the doors when rain gets in past the window seals.

13. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

and keep the rear window sealed. that area you can't see and will sag fast and buckle before you know it.

14. Ghost28

Ghost28

If it's in restored condition. It sounds like the plan you have is the rught one.