Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shop compressor ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrPhat40, Dec 6, 2009.

1. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

What Does the H.A.M.B recommend in a home shop compressor. I'll have 230volt service available in my remodeled garage. The best deal so far seems to be a 3HP 60 Gallon deal from Harbot Freight, any thoughts?

Thx MrPhat40

2. squirrel

squirrel

I bet you could find a few threads about compressors if you search....but it usually boils down to what you want to do with it (air tools/paint/sandblast), and the generall recommendation is to get more compressor than you can afford. Name brand, 2 stage, 230v, bigass type is best.

3. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

what will you be using ot for?that is what determines the compressor needs.

4. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

The use would be general running of air tools and ablast cabinet.

5. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

The most important information on compressors is the CFM. Cubic Feet Per minute, To operate a Sandblaster you will need 18 -25 CFM. Also Grinders and polishers will take 9 -12 CFM. Make sure you get a two stage compressor with the right CFM. Then you'll be happy, all of these 150 Psi machines really mean nothing because they have 3-5 CFM. So when you hook up your air tool 1 minute later there's no power.

Because I go to the customer I use a 5 HP. Gas powered compressor that is two stage and gives me 20 CFM. It will run all day on 1/2 gallon of gas and power everything.

The Old Tinbasher

6. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I agree - find out your requirements - go bigger!

IF you got money to burn buy NEW - if not, go USED

7. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Good info here!!! Thanx, Im in the market for a new compressor too!!

8. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

new paint and a new compressor..life must be good!!

9. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

10. Merge

Merge

I went through this same ordeal a few years ago. I'm no professional, but I do quite a bit of work for myself which usually consists of grinders, da sander, and a drill. I ended up buying a brand new 60 gallon Curtis two stage that makes a little over 18 CFM. It cost me around 1200 bucks, but it seriously has made me happy everytime I've used it. I dont have to wait for it to pump up at all, it just keeps up with anything I throw at it. Buy the most you can afford and go for an old industrial used one instead of the new Chinese junk if you can't afford a new quality name brand compressor. Oh and be sure to take note of the cylinders that are used in the compressor you buy. From what I read, some of the stuff out uses aluminum cylinders and can wear out quickly especially depending on the RPM it runs. My Curtiss is an all cast iron unit and can be rebuilt if I would ever wear it out. Just a thought.

11. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

The biggest one home depot sells is great.My dad has one and I took the cheaper route and went with a coleman which is ok . Need high cfm at 90 to run airtools ......

12. I'd like to add that you will be immensely more comfortable in your shop if that noise maker is not in there! Build a small shelter for it outside the back wall or something, anything!

13. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, that's a good point. Just make sure you get out to drain it and check the oil and stuff regularly.

14. squirrel

squirrel

if it sucks at least 20 amps at 230v then it's almost big enough.

15. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

16. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Yep ,mine draws 23 amps -230 volts. Will keep up with a air body file board. Also get a all cast iron pump,they run much quiter .

17. thebugbox

thebugbox

As everyone said, you need to match your compressor to your tools. If you have the means, go 2 stage and biggest tank possible. However, I've been working with a BlackMax upright that I bought from Sams for almost 12 years. It has given me flawless service.

Black Max has been bought, and Coleman owns them.

Here's the version of what I have:
    http://www.powermate.com/air_compressors/product_detail.php?model=ILA3606056

Compare this to the HF version:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34887

I personally probably wouldn't do HF for an air compressor, but then again, when I bought mine, I didn't even know about HF.

If I had to go HF, I probably would consider this one:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93274

Man, have compressor prices when up since I bought mine! I better change the oil in mine, :eek:

18. carkiller

carkiller

Buy the largest CFM single phase 230 volt you can afford. add another $500.00 to that. Or start a new traddition of blowing $400-$800 For something to get you by. Probably about yearly. Compressers are like drag engines, If wanna get off the porch go big

19. I have gone through two consumer grade $400 60 gallon compressors since I retired ten years ago. For Christmas this year I am going to get a professional grade Ingersol Rand. A little more than $800. If I had done that the first time it would be barely broken in now.

One of the old tanks will be used as a receiver tank to ensure that I have enough air for big jobs.

Picture shows my compressor lean too behind my shop.

Attached Files:

20. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

21. mikeyfrombc

mikeyfrombc

get the most CFM at 90psi as you can afford my HOME DEPOT 5hp 60gal compressor is a huge POS
    total pain with airtools it runs none stop and drives me nuts

22. Ghost28

Ghost28

I had a big craftsman that I fried after about 2 years :( and at the time I had enough money to replace it with a Ingersoll rand, single phase, 230, 5 h.p. And it has never let me down after about ten years. I bought it at grainger...John

Attached Files:

23. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

IMO, Minumum 18 cfm @ 90 psi....
    Dave

24. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Depending on how cold it gets in your area, you may want to attach a heat lamp to the outside of the pump itself. This keeps the oil from jelling on really cold mornings. If the oil gets too draggy you'll pop breakers trying to start!
    I myself have a 10HP industrial compressor. I use a 3-phase generator to run it. My generator is also 10HP, wouldn't pull the load on cold mornings so I had to change out the motor pulley. Now it starts easier, but still requires a heat lamp to keep it from freezing. I'm probably only getting 7.5HP now, but I work alone so it does everything I need. I have an auxiliary holding tank in the shop. It's 120 gallons. The compressor tank is also 120 gallons. Got plenty of air for anything I need, with no pressure drop while painting. Same system for 12 years.

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

25. Louie S.

Louie S.

Agreed Buy all you can afford.

26. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

I got mine at a local tool shed at Cullman flea market. got a grat deat on it , its a 7.5 horpower 80 gallon tank can remeber the cfm specs right now but its a dmn good compressor