Register now to get rid of these ads!

JB Weld, what crazything have you done with it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Just got done doing a silly repair with JB Weld, my first time using it. I have heard some crazy stories of what this stuff does. Cracked blocks, built up machined surfaces. Even have a reman Nailhead water pump that has the corroded area on the neck coated in the stuff from the rebuilder.

What have you done?

2. Nimrod

Nimrod

I used it once to glue a metal valve stem back into a rubber motorcycle inner tube! Damn thing never lost any air at all. I finnaly chickened out and replaced it though.

Thats got to be about as bad as it gets!

3. A kitchen sink drain ,,,,last thanksgiving!

And that reminds me to go get a new pipe tomorrow! [​IMG]HRP

4. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

I used it to bond together the side panels of my sedan,in a section that was too thin and rusty to weld.It has held up well,through 3 years, and a top chop. Alo used it to bond my shifter knob(cueball,eyeball)to a stub of a pot metal shifter. Sparky

5. disastron13

disastron13

When you fall off your Triumph and the rearset gear lever pokes through your primary cover, JB weld is the very thing.

6. slammed

slammed

The front sump on the 455 Buick was so pitted with rust, that after wire wheeling clean it had pin hole's.....so JB! Tran's pan too. Used it on a spoiler on a '72 Z-28, (stripped bolt hole's). Seen more than one Bong repaired with it. Saw a Korea era gas mask 'coverted' w/the JB making the giant bowl connection. Them boy's were crazy.

7. badpat

badpat

cracked dirt bike blocks when we were 14
    broken fins on mc heads

8. Anderson

Anderson

filled a hole in a corvette valve cover after the motor blew and sent a rocker arm through it.

9. Besides many things auto related, a guy I worked with lost a filling and 1/2 a tooth, put JB weld on it and no more pain.
    Now I dont think its too smart to put those chemicals in your mouth, but he's not the only one that has done it. He got the idea from somebody.
    He's the same guy that glues cuts shut with superglue after squirting them out with Brake cleaner...Ouch.

10. ray

ray
    from colorado

jb weld tooth filling, now that's a new one!

i use superglue lots on cuts and such, it's actually doctor reccomended.

11. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

JB welded a cracked oil line on my buddy's 50 plymouth on the way up to the Road Agent's show last year. Held oil pressure the whole way there and back

12. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Water pump bolt broke off didn't wan't to deal with tapping out the rest of the bolt so I JB welded the sucka back on and it's all gravy baby.. But a tooth filling wow, that's nuts..

13. steevil

steevil

knocked a huge hole in the aluminum diff housing of my Ranger while off-roading. JB welded a plate over it and it's still holding after about 2 years.

14. 51Cards

51Cards

[ QUOTE ]
    Besides many things auto related, a guy I worked with lost a filling and 1/2 a tooth, put JB weld on it and no more pain.
    Now I dont think its too smart to put those chemicals in your mouth, but he's not the only one that has done it. He got the idea from somebody.
    He's the same guy that glues cuts shut with superglue after squirting them out with Brake cleaner...Ouch.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sorry to change the subject BUT super glue works great on cuts FAR LESS pain than stitchs and leaves NO noticable scar.

15. Used it to put an ear back on a powerglide bellhousing.
    Not real high in CRAZY points but It saved me from buying another tranny.

16. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the original super glue was developed for surgecal purposes. I have read that those on the in that get unherd quantities of super glue have used it as a woold surface finish.

17. Rusty

Rusty

I know a guy that used it to make some bullriding spurs. Last time I seen him he was still using them. So they have help up fo about seven years. Pretty crazy

18. old beet

old beet

Been useing it on teeth for years! Did the speed O cable in the Merc with it, glued the C-6 end to the stock cable. no leaks, still holding.......OLDBEET

19. I was buildin a wrecked Vulcan 1500 bike a few yrs ago-tank was binged all over and had a hole ground thru where it had slid down the highway on tank- about the size of a silver dollar.
    I priced a new one -guess they were woth 650 dollars but I didnt want one at that price....-I cut the shell of tank completely off the base and hammered out the dents and welded the whole shut.Then I welded entire top of tank back on the base....spred JB all around that seam on outside/applied body filler and painted it-NEVER LEAKED .

20. Hellbilly_Buzzard

Hellbilly_Buzzard

I used it to shave the antenna whole on my '56. Didn't have a welder at the time and had some JB lieing around and wanted to get that eyesore outta there. Just put some on a quarter and pushed it up to the whole from the backside. Let it dry and sanded it smooth. NO FILLER NEEDED!!!!! Still looks good after 3 years.

21. MoePower

MoePower
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omro, WI

Had an Audi (Had being the key word) put a head on it that wasn't the right year and had to seal a cooling passage to the block with JB weld, that was three years ago and the thing is still on the road. (aluminum head, cast iron block)

Then there was the time I JB welded two slant sixes together and made 1500 H.P. till I blew it up drag racing....

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I believe the original super glue was developed for surgecal purposes. I have read that those on the in that get unherd quantities of super glue have used it as a woold surface finish.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was developed during Vietnam as a field suture. they still use it in combat to this day. it rocks, you just have to make sure you get super glue and not one of the pretenders, some of them are not so nice. But if you notice when applying it ot a wound it has a localized anesthetic type quality as well a anti-bacterial... I keep it in the tool box in the shop..

23. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Not JB weld, but something even better, PC&7 was utilized by myself to fix the block on my Packard engine when a rod came flying through it.
    It's still holding after 3 years, but it's a bit leaky.

I've used PC7 many times to glue the rubber biscuits back to the wood on Eames chairs. I've never had one break.

24. JB'd a non-critical door component in a Cessna 150.

JB'd the heat passages closed in a pair of Ford 400-M heads.
    Did the same to the heat passages in an Edelbrock Streetmaster intake for the same engine.
    (Edelbrock cast the heat passage in the Streetmaster intake too thin and a lot of them burned out - from what the Edelbrock guy told me.)
    The fill was accomplished by wadding up clean paper towels, stuffing them in the offending holes and sticking in a big glob of JB on top of the paper towels and scree'ing it off with a popsicle stick.
    Held for years - looked at it a couple of times and no probs.

JB'd the round, very rough textured (lathe turned hot-rolled solid rod about 1" OD) into the two heat passage holes each head on my 455 Buick in the 32.

I've used JB for a lot of stuff and keep it in stock in the garage.
    The above are the ones I remember best cuz I thought they'd be the ones that failed, but didn't.... [​IMG]

25. I used it to repair the Plastic Radiator in my wifes Miata, on 4th of July W/E.
    Saved us from spending the holiday in po-dunk Lagrange, Texas. [​IMG]

Their is a guy in Garland that JB Welds the Balancers on Crankshafts. [​IMG]

I never road trip without my JB, but there is a limit. [​IMG]

26. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I'd like to JB Weld Draglink's mouth shut some times.

27. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The Fenton heads on my flathead had some corrosion around the water passages...got a little too close to the combustion chamber in some spots so I blobbed some JB Weld on it and milled it back down to the gasket surface with big file. I've fired the motor with the block full of water and haven't noticed anything to indictae a leak yet....I'll know for sure in another week or two I suppose.

28. luketrash

luketrash

I've only used the stuff for a few non critical repairs like the brake lever on my motorcycle!

My grandmother however is the JB Welder of the family. She has a 1970's ere Bunn coffee machine that she has JB welded twice in the time she's owned it because the water tank rusted through.

She had also JB welded her late 70's Maytag dishwasher interior where it had rusted through.. It was working fine for 10 years with JB weld over the holes. Grandpa finally broke down and got her a new dishwasher and coffee pot recently though.

JB weld seems to work great as a filler, but has shitty shear strength.. When I was using it on stuff it seems to snap really easily if you pull on it.. But it can patch a mean hole.

29. ruralrod

ruralrod

fan belt

dried while we hunted. held enough to get us off the mountain. never forget it.

30. Filled a leak I sprung in my 54 Buick's radiator MINUTES before the buyer came to get it. Mashed it up, wedged it in the hole the size of a dime (it was on the top), sprayed it gloss black as the buyer pulled up to drive it home. It didnt even set for 30 minutes,more like 3 minutes when he fired it up, I thought I was going to piss my pants. No leaks, nothing. I saw him a year later and asked how the radiator was doing. He said "great ,but why? " I told him, just curious..... [​IMG]