Register now to get rid of these ads!

What can I say to pursuade my mom to let me get this truck!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LarzBahrs, Dec 6, 2009.

1. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Im 17 years old and still living at home with my mom, yeah I know, sad right!:rolleyes::p My dads friend wants to give me a 1936 ford 1 ton truck. It runs, all glass is there, body's in good condition but might need some touch ups in the paint department, and it needs to be registered or no-oped. This would be my first actually cool project. Ive had a trans am and firebird before but Ive always wanted something old and actually worthwhile to tinker on. She is always concerned about code enforcement and weither any project can be registered. What are some good points I can use to persuade my mom to let me have this truck! I know, such a stupid question!:D:D

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

Find some place where you can stash it for awhile. Then when you are old enough move out on your own. She is a mom and will never stop telling you how to live your life, but when your on your own you can just nod your head and say "Yes Mom" and then do as you please. Of course you have to live with your decisions.

3. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can the current owner store it for you? That way it wont be hanging at your place and pissing off your mum if she isnt into that sort of thing.

What ever you do, DONT lie to your mum.

4. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Let her visit this site and see what old cars are all about....good luck!:D

5. how true! i will be 57 next month and my mom is 82 and she still tries telling me how things should be. when i was younger i would argue with her , now i just agree and then do what i want

6. As the saying goes..."As long as you live under my roof".

7. I'd find out if registration is really her issue? Sometimes Mom's "know what is good for us" and they have alternate reasons for their answer - find out where her mind is really at. If the only real issue is registration, then talk to the owner and see if you and work with him to get it registered BEFORE you get the truck - even if you have to spend a few dollars to do so. Then - you just change the registration to your name and Mom is happy and the truck isn't in a No-Op state.

Give it a try!

PS: When Mom's are trying to protect us from ourselves or our personal bad habits, they're usually right :D I'm 50 and my Mom knows me better than any 'Best Friend' I've had . . . and she is the bestest of friends I've ever had!

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

x2.

9. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You may even get a new cool step dad at the same time....

10. Holy cow don't do that.. After reading a couple of "popcorn worthy" threads.... She will have him in a Toyota Echo!!!!!!!!

11. best answer yet! get her involved, ask her to a car show/meet.

12. I'll be 56 next week, my Mom will be 87 next month. Here is my project when I brought it home in 1973, I was 19. I just went and got it. Easier to ask for forgiveness than for permssion. You can tell she is thrilled to death.

That's me in behind the wheel and in the second pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. vw505

vw505
    from Lemoore,CA

God, If only i had listend to my mom.

14. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

ask her "would you rather have me out somewhere doing drugs, or in the yard working on a car??"

worked for me...

15. skyrodder

skyrodder

you should really either show her the site or take her with you to a car show or even to go look at the truck and tell her your plans... or just like HJmaniac said, just bring it home.. I dont live with my mom but i do store one of my projects there, seeing how long and hard i have worked on my first 54, she was there with me giving me a hand when i chopped my 2nd one...

16. missysdad1

missysdad1

Simple: Find solutions to her objections.

Perhaps you can find a way for your parents to allow you to keep your project in their garage, or find a commercial space where you can store it and work on it.

Familiarize yourself with code enforcement rules in your area and try to find a way to stay within the rules. There are some threads here on the HAMB which have some very creative ideas. Perhaps one of them will work for you.

Same goes for the registration. Contact some HAMBers in your area who have dealt with the local DMV. There is usually one clerk who is inclined to help old car owners, and HAMBers will know which one that is.

Then, go to the DMV and speak with that "special" clerk. Bring all the paperwork you have for your truck and ask her about your registration options. If the truck will run and drive, you may be able to get special antique tags which will overcome any code enforcement issues.

If it doesn't run, ask some local HAMBers for help. Once they understand your situation, I'm sure they will donate some time and talent to get your truck so that it will meet registration guidelines.

But, as has been said before, don't lie...to anybody. It will only come around and bite you on the ass later.

Good luck! :)

17. skyrodder

skyrodder

this one works too :D

18. yeah ,i know what you mean.... my mom wasn't too happy when i brought home my first model A at 16 . here is a picture of it the day i sold it in 1971 , by then i had a `40 ford tudor. she was happy i sold my motorcycle to get it though

hey Larzbahrs...any pictures of your mom?

[​IMG]

19. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Just tell her the doctor said you had to have it. I'll send you a prescription in the mail.

Doc.

20. Hey, tell her "Mom, at least its BIG an SLOW not a SMALL an FAST little Euro car" Good Luck!

21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

ATTN Sacramento area HAMBers; We need someone to "sponsor" this 17 year old into Hot Rodding!!! We need a big ime Pay it forward. Anyone with a big chunk of property that would let this kid stash his truck at their place? Maybe cut him a break on rent? Maybe even let him swing by and work on it on weekends? This guy has a golden opportunity here at a free truck and maybe a start on a lifetime of Hot Rods. I remember many moons ago when I was 15 and bought a souped 55 Chevy. My parents were dead against it, however I prevailed; A local rodder friend who was 25 offered swing by in his Hot Rod and talk to my parents. He even helped me with mechanicals, tool loans for the car so it was good and ready when I turned 16.

Tell Mom it's the truck or a motorcycle that you've looked at....

Seriously, it sounds like the truck is in nice shape and will run with a bit of work and minor $$$.

Has she actually seen the truck? That may help. Show her some pics off the web of what it would currently sell for and pics of completed ones suited to your "plan" for it.

Do you have a job/$ to support the truck-insurance, etc?

Do you have a garaage to store/work on it?

I like the idea of researching the registration and local codes up front. Do some leg work.

Also, the idea someone posted of completing the purchase and having the current owner store it for you (for a year or so).
    Maybe a local storage space or ideally a local HAMBER that will let you store it at his place.

Good luck, Keep us posted.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  22. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

LarsBahrs; Your mom is correct. I suggest you wait until a project with a title comes along. With your mom's concerns satisfied, she'll support you. Listen to your mom.

23. 29ron

29ron

Have a littlle talk with your mom explaining how working on cars keeps you out of trouble and motivated NOT to get involved with drugs and alcohol.

24. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

As long as you can tag it.ID bring it home.If its rough looking on the outside paint entire car with rustoleum to make one color.You can paint strip it later to do the body work .You just have to remember if the township natzi's say anything about your truck They go after the owner of the house .Not the owner of the truck or car.Ive been down the road the same as you.......You should post some pics ,,,,,, You could try flowers and chocolates ,Arguing never works ,Also promise to keep things neat .Sometimes mom is just looking out for you,Thus this can hold you back ,Happened to me ,Till I was 22 .

25. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

This site is sooo awesome, you guys are the greatest! Generations full of knowledge. My mom still hasnt given me a no answer and when I showed her a picture of one like it she smiled. My dad drug home an 30's R.E.O truck a long time ago so I realize where I got the hankering for these beasts. :D:D

36-3window, My moms not available at this point :rolleyes:

Hot Rods Ta Hell, Ya got the right idea!:p Come on guys, help a fella hamber and rodder out!!!:D:D:D:D Im looking in to a non-op for it right now and im definitely gonna try to get historic plates for it if i do get it.

26. jerseymike

jerseymike

when i was your age i also lived at home and dragged many old cars home. my dad didn't mind but my mom was never to happy. my dad would point out to her how many kids my age were into drinking and drugs and all of a sudden old cars weren't so bad. if she let's you work on them at the house then she'll know right where you are and what your doing. good luck, jersey mike

27. DrJ

DrJ

Help the current "owner" get it registered, do the foot work and then when it's registered it will be a different ball game with your Mom.
    It may become a different ball game with the current owner too thing, since it will be more negotiable, but it's worth that risk.
    Remember, a truck will need to go get weighed at a designated scales before DMV will register it so keep it in running condition, get a temporary get it weighed and when it's legal have it transferred to you. You'll be 18 by the time all that happens.

You have 666 posts, huh?
    The devil made you do it? ;)

28. My mom said no a lot. NO you cant have that dog. NO you cant bring home that junk. N0 you cant date & marry that girl. But i still got the dogs cars & girl. Come to find out my mom just didnt like men period. Doted on my sisters but didnt like me or my dad and brother. :eek:Anyway My wife and I let our boys have any car pet or thing that they wanted as long as they paid for and took care of it themselves. I guarantee there is someway you can obtain the truck and put it on hold until your 18. my wife lets me have as many old vehicles as i want. my oldest has 6 cars stored at my place and my other son has 35 67 thru 72 trucks and one car stored here. Dont lie to her but you dont have to let her know everything also.:cool: Good Luck OldWolf

29. historynw

historynw

Doesn't she have a fridge or washer to be picked up? A perfect opportunity to unveil your shopper special.;)

30. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep. By the way, that's the right way anyhow. No title? Like DrJ says, that's really the seller's job to do the title before the vehicle is sold.......