Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cost of your next step

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Dec 4, 2009.

1. billygoat67

billygoat67

seems like the $$$$$ flow is a very common problem around here, i have to be in the right place. never enough to go around. i think even SANTA could use a BAILOUT this year!!!!

2. chris55

chris55

Oh great, now i need the money to buy Littlemans 409...It never ends :D

3. This all sounds like a Christmas list.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Just the continuing need to spend to make progress with my project chopped '51 Ford stops me for a while. Then I just bite the bullet and get what I need by lookng for the best deal possible. Some days I think about selling the whole deal with the car and piles of parts. But, would never get what I have into it so far. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Have got to drag some parts to the local swap Sunday to finance more parts.

5. two knees and one lower back. Get about 12 minutes before both start to groan. If I ignore the groan, and wait till the screams, I'm bent over and limping for the next six weeks. At this rate, the three day thrash should finish about April.
    That's if I listen to the groans...if not.......might be years from now.

6. chevyshack

chevyshack

Just bought a house in july. Ive got to finnish up all the projects on the house before i start on my 52. Wouldnt matter anyway because i still need some money to work on the car. I need inner and outer rockers, new wiring harness, new brakes, suspension parts, 4 link the rear end, floor repaired, tires and wheels, shaved door handle kit, rechrome bumpers and grill, paint, swap out engines, and rebuild the 700r4 i got. Guessing i might be able to get it done for about 8 grand. Im doing the labor except the tranny. Might even try to tackle that.

7. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

$500 or so for the vintage Air/ heater combo ( I have asthma so no wise cracks about the AC please).
    Also helping my daughter rebuild her new car ( see what did you save this year post) and slow furniture sales this fall in my furniture business.

jim h

8. money for the machine shop for block and head work..... I have it, but just found out the wife needs surgery.... again. I can't get ahead, but she's worth it.

9. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I decided to switch from a low custom to a nose high big block drag car. The total cost is too much to consider. I only have one life. as long as the wife and kid have a house I'm content.

10. 6X2

6X2

800 for some friggin tires and motorvation...why I'm on here...need more build threads!

11. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

about 400 to have these SU's overhauled, rare unusual ones, and they need throttle shafts redone and throttle shaft bearings, special work on these, too rare to screw them up myself.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

http://www.joecurto.com/ Give Joe Curto a call, he is real good with SU rebuilds. I worked with him years ago, good guy. This turned out to be a good thread, i'm not alone after all . :)

13. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

thanks!! i sent you a pm, it will be a while before i can afford that step, but i'm trying to plan it. The dryer just came to a screeching crashing halt, so there's more money gone for a used dryer. :rolleyes:

14. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

a driveshaft for the nash, and ALOT for the 29.

15. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I need a 4 link,front spring hanger bolts,coil overs or bags,All the bearings and seals for the Wilson hubs,9" narrowed,Rebuild the motor and trans,Steering column from Limeworks,Steering wheel,Steering box and the list goes on. Too depressing to even think about writing any more.

Got a shitload of stock 1929 Pontiac parts that I need to unload before I can move on any further.

Been so bad latley as far as cash goes that I even had to put the 2 labs on a diet.

16. Algon

Algon

So did you put the 409 in there or did you find it that way? We have one in a 59 Apache Napco panel and a 51, Flxible Clipper that has been that way since the 60's... The slowest drag race I've yet to be in was my Grandfather power shifting the allison 4speed against another Flxible....We did win though:D
    I'll tell you what holds me up is getting materials more than anything. I was spoiled living in Akron surrounded by suppliers, real Speed shops like Midwest and even Swan's hardware. There was almost nothing you couldn't walk in a store and buy up to 12 to 15 years ago. Now I have to go on line to buy a little chunk of Brass, a left hand thread tap or any other tool or supply that the chain store certified bimbo never heard off... Worse is if there is no online store with listed specs. Try to order a listed item, if they can't see it on the screen in two button pushes they say no even if they do have it.... 50 percent of the time if you call back the next person finds it...

Your average old time hardware stores are just gone from the area. Same with steel supplies, Massillon was built on Steel mills and there isn't one place to buy anything.... Bolts, Fastenal won't sell you just one bolt here and they don't want to order it. I don't need 50, 5inch alternator bolts...:D

Even going to Summit Racing is now a hassle, call ahead or checking the site which says they have the part, they say not in stock when you get there... No one has a clue about anything. I have to call Jegs tech line to get any part number if I can't find myself. Jegs is 2-1/2 hours away so if I don't have time to wait Summit is my only option to have whatever it is today to finish a project.

How about Menards a sales girl in nearly every single aisle. Yet try to find something, they'll point to a completely unrelated section of the store. Then if you find it on your own, there is not one but four of the exact same part, from the same manufacturer, on the same rack labeled as different parts with different prices, all of which are wrong. Then if one cashier stops talking long enough to sell you the part you find it yet listed as another item that costs more money. All this to buy a 1/2 pipe plug that should have been maybe two dollars... They think its a ball valve on sale for $6. There are even $10-$20 dollar items listed wrong for less than a buck so if you need that item you may get lucky...

I miss the days of talking to the grumpy old codger who is now laid off or retired early who not only knew what you were talking about but had often done the same thing, knew exactly where it was in the store and if not he knew where to send you.

17. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

So did you put the 409 in there or did you find it that way?

Algon..........I put it in........It was bone stock when I drug it home...Littleman

18. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

$500 :( , heater for shop is down and can't be fixed til monday , hence me lingering on here half the day LOL .

$36 for motor mounts that have to be ordered so I can fit the headers , but I'm waiting on cam anyways on backorder til 14th so I'm gathering more parts in waiting .

19. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Wife's daily driver crapped out. A spent Water pump that is under everything and the timing belt. Well, $300 in parts and 2 weekends later, Its back together. But now the 34 is on hold, with the holidays and all, it will be Feb before progress begins. <O:p</O:p

20. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Fit fenders & a top to my roadster before the Texas trip , I don't realy want to think about Paint & top upholstery this side of Christmas

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  21. fordfan289

fordfan289
    from indiana

Christmas to be over with three kids its starting to be expensive 10,11, and 14 they all want tools and parts for there cars they have all claimed my cool cars.

22. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

HAHAHA.... not sure, all I have is a few piles of rusty TT parts. Still trying to decide if I should sell all the "good" stuff and look for "better" stuff!:confused:

23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Blew the 5.4 in the daily Expedition. Just about have the replacement in...only needs starter, exhaust, etc hooked up. been a weekend killer lately. Bitch of a swapout!
    Then Christmas and hopefully will be free to hit the garage.

$1000 in parts would get my 34 running;
    radiator (looking for used as I can't stomach new price)
    SBC long block stuff; alternator, starter, exhaust system, wires, etc.
    Labor to cut driveshaft

i'll do finish body work and fabricate clutch linkage until parts $$$ becomes available.

24. mundog64

mundog64
    from 90717

$$$ to have the powerglide rebuilt. around 600 to 700 around here.
    it will probably become a reality by feb. 2010. after that i will start piling up parts. starter, water pump, alternator, radiator, exhaust etc... all on a super tight budget.

ray

Attached Files:

25. calvinh

calvinh

Waiting for a new project. I sold my truck and now am selling all the extra parts and parts trucks I had. But really don't have the cash for a new project. Maybe Santa will be generous.

26. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

200 hours of bodywork, you do the math. Selling my daily driver to free up some funds, the hot rod is way more important than any DD.

27. billy zz

billy zz

i try not to think about it or i get overwhelmed.
    i just rented out my extra bedroom.
    that ups my monthly rod allowance to $500
    i still need all kinds of stuff

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Well I saved some money today! Turned in the old tanks and got two small ones that are just what I need. Cost $61.03, so the next step in door hinges at $350.00. :)

29. mratt

mratt

I need more free time in the shop.

30. bcook07

bcook07
    from Illinois

the money for wiring harness and cab corners for my f100