Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1940's period correct hot rods

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by erlomd, Nov 28, 2009.

1. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

It's funny how certain posts just evolve into something amazing.

Stogy likes this.
  2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Back up top.

Stogy likes this.
  3. phlip

phlip

I don't know of any or have seen any RPU from the 40's with a hallock on them. But I put one on mine. I'd say mine's 40's "style" except for maybe the hairpins...

pic from streetrodder

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
    Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

Rick - Thanks for your kind words; very much appreciated.
    In regards to question: I am not sure whose '32 roadster that is.
    The Wright-Berg '27T roadster photo that I put in my book "Authentic Hot Rods" had the John Beverage built Rootes blower on the 1934 Cadillac engine. Bob Wright and Don Berg built the roadster in 1947. As members of the Pasadena Roadster Club the roadster competed at the Lakes in 1949 and 1950. The blower was installed on the Cad engine; perhaps for only one meet. However in late August of 1950 the Bonneville entry of Wright-Fabry-Abela had the blower on a Mercury flathead ( probably George Fabry's engine ) - note photo.
    In late 1951 or early 1952 I watched Don Nicholson install the blower on a 1951 Chrysler coupe. It was a one shot deal and was only on the Chrysler for a brief time. The blower was still owned by John Beverage.
    So I am not positive about the '32 roadster but it could be that the Cadillac engine blower setup that came off of the Wright-Berg roadster in 1950 could have been in the '32 in 1949, just prior to use on the '27T or in 1950 to 1951, just after the use at Bonneville. There were several flathead Cad powered roadsters in the Pasadena area back then. However I am not sure that I can pinpoint who owned that '32.
    I really enjoy seeing some of the old pictures and remembering "stuff" and learning "stuff". Although some of us can say we were there I find that lots of things were going on around us that we were not aware of. Learning about things that I was not aware of is fun for me. I do not believe that I had seen that photo before.
    Regards - Don

www.montgomeryhotrodbooks.com

Attached Files:

Stogy, wcben and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. Gaters

Gaters

6. JoJo O.

JoJo O.

beautiful shots all the way around! Gota love when these threads get on a roll like this.

7. eye bone

eye bone

Great thread!

Stogy likes this.
  8. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Thanks phlip,love your truck!That pic has seen duty as my desktop background.
    This is my favourite hot rod era and,although my build is not authentic(due to lack of available cash!),I hope that when it's finnished it has at least some of the character and charm of the cars posted on this thread.
    Mark.

Stogy likes this.
  9. 63Compact

63Compact

Come on Aussiesteve I know you got a treasure trove of pics waiting to be seen, get out of ya car and start scanning. Awesome thread by the way.

Stogy likes this.
  10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Hah!! Priceless.

Stogy likes this.
  11. Lucky77

Lucky77

Right click save, right click save, great thread. Here's mine, not there yet just imagine it a little lower, smaller tires in front, and no bumper. I'm going with an immediate post war theme.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Flint Midget Speedway (Bristol rd. between Saginaw st. and Fenton rd.)

Less than a mile from my house!! Now there's houses, grocery store, bank, gas stations and I475. Cool.

13. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

that's the way it goes! the fairground at eastern states exposition doesn't even have a track anymore! they call the area that used to have the track the "midway" where they put all the meth head carney rides. :mad:

only thing left is the front stretch and part of turn 4. track had been there since the teens. only a couple miles from me....

14. wedgeii1

wedgeii1
    from california

Well put....

15. Just keeps getting better! And the few color shots are amazing! Thanks again to all that are posting this awesome stuff!

Stogy likes this.
  16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bob McGee and his '32 in 1948.

[​IMG]

17. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Perfection.

Was that owned later by Dick Scritchfield?

18. Harms Way

Harms Way

Yep,.....

Bruce Meyer always refers to it, and shows it as the "McGee/Scritchfield" Roadster.

19. waiting for her boyfriend to come home from the war
    [​IMG]

Stogy, Dannerr and Felipe Toltecatl like this.
  20. nifty

nifty
    from UK

Nirvana pure and simply....
    thank you guys for posting these incredible photos

Stogy likes this.
  21. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

The car had another claim to fame when Scritch owned it....the first car to be painted Metalflake.

Stogy likes this.
  22. roadwarrior32

roadwarrior32

These pictures were taken in 1969-70 in Glendale Ca. Scritchfield was showing me a '32 roadster body and frame [stored in the late '40's] he had picked up for $450! The MaGee roadster was looking good after many years of service. It was an everyday driver for Scrith, and our transportation while in LA.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. BLEH

BLEH

Here's some scans I received not too long ago. I was fortunate enough to obtain the racers club plaque and SCTA membership card. A lot of the items got scattered at an estate sale:

Attached Files:

Stogy, Dannerr and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. Harms Way

Harms Way

25. Bill La Porte collection? I was going to bid when those photos were on ebay.

Stogy likes this.
  26. BLEH

BLEH

Yes...I really tried to keep some of it together but cost prevented it. It would be nice to find his 30 - 31. The plaque I have is this one on the decklid in the photo:

Attached Files:

27. Jerry Stroner/Ken Crawford '32
    From "Look" magazine 1947. Who said tats aren't traditional ;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now. Restored by Chuck & Mike Longley
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. It is a bugger when collections like that are broken up, that is why I saved all the images from the Ray Morrisette collection I bought what I could. :( Did you buy the plaque from the Estate? It is a great roadster if it can't be found you could always clone it. :cool:
    Cheers
    Jimmy

Stogy likes this.
  29. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

These pics are priceless. Thanks to you all for sharing your collection. Keep it going!

Stogy likes this.