Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quick slant six question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hip, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Hip

Hip

I'm replacing the quarter panel on a 68' Camero for a 63' Valient Hardtop for my son. Slight problem is the rebuilt slant six that comes with it has been sitting (covered) in a shed for 15 plus years. What precations should i take to revitalize that motor before using it, less going back through it?

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

whut??

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Loosen the pan plug a few turns and see if any water comes out. If more than a cup full or so drain and change the oil. Put a oz. of Marvel or ATF down each plug hole and turn it over a few times with the starter before replacing the plugs. Either make sure the gas tank has NO sour fuel or residue in it ,or use a temp fuel supply to get it running.

4. Have we got this right? You are doing the labor on the Camaro and getting the Valiant given to you as payment and you are going to give the Valiant to your son. How am I doing? Then you want to know how to breathe life back into the Slant Six in what will be your son's Valiant that had been sitting for 15 years. Is that it?

Drain the oil, pressurize the oil passages, pull the plugs and squirt in some Marvel Mystery Oil and rotate it by hand several truns to lube the rings and cylinder walls. Check the points if it is a points distributor. Once that Marvel has soaked in a few days, I'd try to fire it.

5. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

yeah,,that first sentence was a speed bump!!

6. 73RR

73RR

'Rebuilt', as in fresh, not run or 'rebuilt', a fresh coat of paint?
    15 years is a long time to be left sitting. I say pull the head and pan then have a real good look-see at the innards. Check for corrosion at the valve-seat interface, check the bearings, and see if any cam lube exists.
    The price of a set of gaskets is good insurance.

7. koth

koth

I agree with StillOutThere, but instead of Marvel Mystery oil, I use 2 stroke engine oil. It is a low viscosity and it will not foul out the plugs when you start the engine.

Since it has sat so long, I would also pull the valve cover, lubricate the valve train when hand cranking it, just to be sure you don't have a stuck valve.

The carb is probably gunked up, pull the fuel line, check out if there is a filter in the carb, and if that is a complete mess, pull the carb and rebuild it. Or you will just crank it over and not get anywhere.

8. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

and for god sake..look for dirt dauber nest!!!!

9. Hip

Hip

Sorry about the lead in sentence, i was giving a little background on the sitch. Yes "StillOutThere", your right on all acounts, The engine never through a rod or anything catastrophic it just needed freshening up (complete rebuild), and its sitting exactly where they dropped it off close to 17 years ago. It's been covered the whole time, but they actually live out in the Barstow Desert, so that concerns me a little. I wasn't even thinking about water in the pan because of the shed, but i didnt even consider maybe condensation build up.
    All great suggestions thankyou. Now i know what the boys gonna be doing for his Christmas break! :rolleyes::D

10. MorganGT

MorganGT

Hell, it's a Slant Six. Those buggers will run forever (almost). The last one I killed only died because I drove for maybe half an hour on a very hot day with no oil pressure, and eventually killed a big end bearing.

I pulled an engine from one of my parts cars that had been sitting outside in the weather here without a carb on it or any attempt to keep it sealed up for at least 6-7 years, and that many again (at least) in the driveway of the guy I bought it from. Slapped it in as a replacement, new oil and filter, turned the key and she fired up instantly and has been running sweetly ever since.

If it turns over OK by hand, I wouldn't fuss too much about stripping thing down to check them out. By all means, put a little oil down the bores and turn the motor over a few times as insurance, but as long as it isn't stuck you should be good to go.

11. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Check and make sure no bird nests in carb or other critters in there.....drain coolant....put fresh in there.....pull out spark plugs and squirt a little oil in there....drain the oil and put fresh stuff in there....changing the filter.

Turn the thing over by hand first....Socket and pull handle on Harmonic balancer bolt.....charge up the battery, charge it and clean the posts....if able....clean out the rotten fuel....if any....put a little gas in it.

Now, after you've spun the engine over a little....and no coolant has come out of the plug holes...(good sign)...spray some WD-40 into the cylingers. Put in some good plugs....make sure its holding coolant and your getting a good, hot spark.

Get the top of your WD-40 can, pour a little gas into it, open the throttle to your carb and dump it in......With all hooked up.....you should have cranked it enough to have oil pressure on your guage.....hop in and turn the key.....it should bust right on off. if it runs a little then dies....its because the carb is dry and you'll have to prime it 2 or 3 times to pump fuel up to the cars.

If it doesn't start within 5 minutes, stop and check everything.....double check things....prime her again....and go once. Still....if nothing.....you'll have to call your mechanic.....................

12. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Those slant 6 cyl were great engines . They would never stop running .
    IF the engine turns over by hand pour some oil in to get some lubricant in the cylinders BUT I really would pull that head off and take a look . I am sure all the holes weren't sealed up so snakes , rodents or anything could have lived their life in that engine !
    good luck with the project for your son .

RetroJim

13. George

George

A quick slant 6, say what?:eek:

14. MorganGT

MorganGT

If you try this, don't get confused when you don't find a bolt holding the balancer on - slants don't have one.

15. Those "1/2-of-a-V12" engines will run forever! I had one when I was in high school. It won't take anything to get it running no matter how long it's been sitting for. Jut do the regular stuff you would do with any engine that's been sitting for a bit.

No joke... These things are indestructible!

16. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey HIP...i whouldn't turn the engine over with (strater) pull the head and all valves, to be sure no valves are sticking. the turn engine clockwise with crank tool, allso spray ring area and piston walls with WD 40. and wipe cylinder walls with motor oil.if the mill turns freely, replace head, tune engine and good luck...POP. AND i forgot 1 fery important thing. PRIME engine oil pump with tool and drill motor.

17. 6ck Pony

6ck Pony