Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods just stare at it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gbones32coupe, Dec 4, 2009.

1. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

do you ever just sit there and stare at your project for hours thinking of all the work you have to do but yet don't even touch it because you relize that you have no money to go further? I love waisting my presous time. hope santa gives me some crome moly tubing for x-mas.

2. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

yes- especially after i get done putting some new toy on. As a teacher i dont always get to see the fruits of my labor- with a car- I work on something and there it is. It gives me a sense of accomplishment on something.

3. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

YES....
    or sometimes when I cant figure out what the next step should be... or I just dont feel up to the next step!
    I still stare at it!

4. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

yes,and sometimes it stares back!!

5. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Thats the story of my life.

6. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

YES, I'm so broke now, I'm porting and polishing my own heads just to be doing something without spending money.

7. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Sometimes I just stare at my truck and wonder why I ever bothered.

8. historynw

historynw

I keep staring & hope it is suddenly painted. I've assembled and disassemble the car several times I just keep wondering if I remember how its goes back together. My tin guy is so slow. Just in case I been downloading the old assemble manual. I know there are some tricks but I forgot.

9. Lizard

Lizard
    from Benson Az

Used to sit in the old truck shift gears and turn that big old steering wheel but now all of that is apart........so yea sometimes we just stare at each other.

10. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

Yes........I call that "Pondering the next move." Sooner or later, the car will tell you what to do next.

11. Chally

Chally

How pitiful I am too...

I can't spare the cash to buy a project. I may never be able to spare the cash to buy my project...

I do have the engine just sitting here ready to go...

I can sit in the garage for many minutes [maybe it is hours] just watching my baby elephant just like it is a TV screen...

Sad but true story...

12. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Glad I am not alone.

13. kingrollo

kingrollo

I sit in my A coupe' and make engine noises, I call it "driving the imaginary Highway".

14. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Yep.... all the time... especially after drinking heavily...

15. X2.

After a while, mine talks to me too. Especially late at night when the house is quiet and everyone else is in bed...

16. been there doing that...my 54 plymouth wagon is so close to being done but funds and time are nowhere to be found

17. LAROKE

LAROKE

Yes. I've developed it into an art form and often have beer and cigars at hand to enhance the experience, and sometimes have the old tube radio in the '55 playin' low in the background. It's better than TV!

18. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

X 2 For sure

19. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

If staring at things got things done I would be driving my 53 Willys Aero by now :)

20. Ditto, here!!!!!!

21. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

nope if i dont have money to buy something there is always SOMETHING you can do that doesn't cost money and sooner or later its going to need doing anyhow , even if its just cleaning parts it is progress

22. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I spend a lot of time in my garage looking at my car. Why not, I have cable TV and the old lady leaves me alone

23. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

New movie idea: The Men who stare at Projects

Actually, I'll stare at mine, and work up a design later for a bracket, fuel injection, mount, etc....
    Look at it, think in the shower, watching TV,... thats where I get my ideas/solutions

24. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Exactly. Sitting and staring causes me to lose momentum. I find some part of it to work on at all times. Even if it's just wire brushing some crusty part, you've got to keep plugging away to keep project momentum going. There's plenty of stuff you can do without spending money.

One of my best investments was a blasting cabinet and powdercoating equipment. Once bought and paid for they open up a whole lot of jobs you can do for almost no cost. Even when money is tight, I can swing 20 bucks for some powder and be detailing small stuff.

25. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

Great tip... thanks!

26. billthx138

billthx138

27. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Not so much a money issue with it, but I've found myself after a long day in the shop doing it. It's good to take a step back and ponder your thoughts. I like to soak in a build, for me that's the best part, the build. It's the same concept when you stumble across a potential project sitting somewhere. I'm sure most of us have just took a step back, crouched down and stared at whatever it is. It's hard to explain the feeling, but I don't think it has a negative aspect at all.

28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can relate. It's a natural part of the build. Gotta take some time to enjoy the "in-process" stage. Your own "garage-scene". Post some pics, so we can help you stare at it! Hahahahahahaha! - Rick

29. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

..21 years to finish mine...

Marriage..Business...Kids.....other projects...

Yeah..I guess I stared..never thought I'd live long enough to drive it again....

Almost didn't....

30. mustang9093

mustang9093
    from Indiana

That's why there are lawn chairs and a coffee pot in the shop!!