Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 Plymouth Stance? Whatchu think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TNHaney, Dec 2, 2009.

1. sinks88

sinks88

Thanks El Conejo, my boys give me crap for havin a 4 door, but I walk all over them with me Fresh 350 and 3:53 gears

2. olds215

olds215
    from C-more, OK

I favor a slight rake on most cars. Maybe drop 1" rear and 2" front? Somebody suggested the "Photoshop" thread -great idea before you spend any $ or do any work experimenting.

3. DJR13

DJR13
    from Venice, Ca

Cool car. So I hooked it up real quick.

Stock 4X4
    [​IMG]

The Plan - 1" and 3" rake
    [​IMG]

The Vision - 3 to 4" drop
    [​IMG]

And finally... THE DREAM - dumped and raked
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps. Bitchen car!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  4. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Lower 1.5 all around with the nose being 3/4" lower than the rear. Whatever it takes to do that, that's my vote. Gentle hot rod rake.

Maybe it's just too early in the project for me to see your finished vision, but a car that stockish can't pull off taildragger. Looks like bad rear springs. But if you accessorized the car to a higher degree, taildragging becomes a possibility but requires an extreme slam to avoid the bad-spring look. (again just an opinion)

Clean and cool old car, enjoy it!

5. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I love this car, and I am not a Mopar kinda guy

Attached Files:

6. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I like it the way it is. I would look for some skirts.

7. daliant

daliant

There's something about those chrome rims with the wide whites that doesn't look right to me. Just my 2c. I like the stance though. If you want to lower it quick and easy you could put some bags of concrete in it before you commit to cutting the coils and using lowering blocks that way if you dont like it your not stuck with it.

8. Xea

Xea

For your carb and split exhaust talk to Moose, at http://www.manifoldsbymoose.com
    My engine is the Black, Red and Silver one in the first picture. He does kewl stuff.

9. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

def lower in the back.

10. TNHaney

TNHaney

11. murfman

murfman

Fat Man makes spindles for the front IIRC tey are a 2" drop with the stock springs, soo combined with 1 coil in the front you would be in the ball park up front. The only problem is. I'm not sure if the spindles work with the stock drum brakes. I am running them on my '53 'Burb, sorry, no pics with the sheet metal on, as this is how it sits right now..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear in the pics has a 1" drop built into the new spring hangers, along with the fact that the 8.8 has a much larger axle tube diameter than the stock rear axle, soo there is about 2" of drop on the back, AND the front tires on the car right now are 31" tall so the rake will definately change with 27" tires all around.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  12. TNHaney

TNHaney

How much are the fat man spindles and what kind of brakes do they require?

13. murfman

murfman

http://www.fatmanfab.com/catalogpage.php?page=19

They are up to 395.00 now !! They are actually 3" drop, I did not remember the actual #. I cant remember what we paid, but I thought it was less than that. I am running disc brakes, using the stock hub (removed from the drum) with 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee rotors, and GM calipers on home made caliper mounts that I cut out of 1/2" CRS plate. If you order the spindles, make sure to measure the upper and lower link sizes, as Mopar changed them, and the first set I got was wrong, no big deal, as the guys at Fatman are top-notch, and had no problem setting me up with the correct ones.

14. TNHaney

TNHaney

Thanks for all the input on this post. The H.A.M.B. is great!!!! Has really inspired me to get to work on the car......

15. Make a fist. Keep everything taller than that and mind your scrubline. If you can't get your fist under every part of the car it will scrape on everything. Chicks will not like to ride with you if every fourteen feet there's a huge scraping noise. Not to mention parts ain't cheap. Lower it or don't....but be smart about it.

Scrubline is an imaginary line that goes from the bottom of the rims across the car. Imagine if you had four flat tires. Anything lower than that is unsafe at best and msot likely dangerous. If something does wrong, you don't want to lose your steering system, oil pan, etc....

good luck!

16. dart165

dart165

Alright, found a better pic form the front of what the cut coils/2" blocks look like:
    [​IMG]

17. TNHaney

TNHaney

Awesome Car man... Thanks for the picture......

18. missysdad1

missysdad1

Go one coil and 2" blocks. I think you'll like it. This car will look best level, or even just slightly down in the nose. No skirts.

It's too stubby to look really sleek as a tail dragger, so take advantage of the "tuff" look by emphasizing it. A "muscular" look is the way to go.

With a warmed-over flathead 6, three-speed, split manifold and under-the-axle scavenger pipes this little coupe would look absolutely killer...and be 100% early-'60s correct.

Nice ride! :)

19. half coil front, 3 inches back, if you want it lookin nice

20. Cool car and I like the color too.

Oh, just in case you were wondering ...........;)

[​IMG]

21. CenValyCali

CenValyCali
    from Hanford

That's right on Older'n Dirt. That car looks great with skirts and riding that low. Can you take off the chrome trim And paint the top white:D