Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 Plymouth Stance? Whatchu think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TNHaney, Dec 2, 2009.

1. TNHaney

TNHaney

Hey,
    Here is a picture of my 53 plymouth from the side.... I would like for it to be some lower.... I am thinking 2" blocks in the back and maybe a 1/2 coil in the front. Want the back to sit just a little lower than the front. I don't know though... Would love some input....

Thanks,

[​IMG]

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

sounds pretty good. i would do 2.5 or 3 in the back and a half coil up front, which should get you about an inch. reason i say 3 instead of 2 is because the back sits higher now. so if you want it to be lower in the back you'll have to do more than 2" or else leave the front where it is. either way, that's a great car-i had a 4 door 53-the 2 doors are soooooo cool.
    good luck.

3. lower would be cool but your car is badass!!!

4. daliant

daliant

looks fine to me. That one shiny floor!

5. TNHaney

TNHaney

Thanks for all the comments but it is a very flattering photo! Car is definitly a 20 footer on low resolution, but that is what I want..... I think it looks OK now, but I do think lower would be better don't you? What about just 2" in the back an leave the front as is.?

6. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

What shooter54 said.
    Nice looking car.

7. CenValyCali

CenValyCali
    from Hanford

That looks great. I would also lower the back about 3 inches.

8. cheezwiz

cheezwiz

I guess this is supposed to be in the photochop department but here's a quick slight lowering job

Attached Files:

9. TNHaney

TNHaney

Back to the top for the day crew? What do you think? Would like some more opinions....

Thanks,

10. Nomad

Nomad
    from Gretna, NE

Personally, I think a car like your Plymouth looks better with a slightly lower-in-front rake, rather than lower in back. Especially since you're running chrome wheels instead of hubcaps. (If it had hubcaps and skirts, I might have a different opinion...)

I'd start by cutting 1/2- to 3/4- coil off the front springs, then determine how much of a block you'll need in back to make it look right.

Cool car, by the way. Should be a fun cruiser.

11. retromotors

retromotors

Personally, I like the stance as is. I would try for a couple inches lower all around, but no more than that.
    Nice lookin' car!:D

12. tnshovelhead

tnshovelhead

Looks AWESOME either way! I love the wheels and the wide whites!

13. TexasDart

TexasDart

I'll take the 70 plymouth....is it a Satellite or RR.

I like the 53 as is...but I'm not that much into the lowered stuff. It just needs a 440 under the hood...then it will have the right attitude.

I saw on the forward look website where I guy put a solid rear window in the rear window and took out the 2 piece window...that looked really good. Course he also took out the wing windows in the front and made them one piece. Really gave it a clean look. I think your car looks great the way it is.

14. TNHaney

TNHaney

If you are talking about the car to the right edge in the picture, it is my 69 Cuda Notchback. Had the car for 25 years now..... Thanks for the reply....

15. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

looks good now, but I'd lower it.

16. TNHaney

TNHaney

That is what I am thinking and thus the reason for the post... I like the way your lark sits.... To you have it sitting level? Looks that way in most of the picture.... Is it done with blocks and spring cut or do you have it on bags?

17. jroberts

jroberts

I agree with the lower in the front look, but no matter what the car looks great.

18. 73RR

73RR

Seems that everyone agrees it could do with some lowering, I'd drop it a bit but keep it level.

What is planned for drivetrain?

19. dart165

dart165

ARgggh. i need to get my home comp connected so i can give ya some pictures for ref!

i cut a ful coil out of the front and run 2" blocks in the rear. -lowers the car level @ 2".

Any lower and i would make sure you dont have any tire clearance issues in front. i run skinny stockers and bias plys, but you look to have a bit wider wheels/tires.

20. dart165

dart165

here's a crappy picture from the rear witht he 2" blocks:
    [​IMG]

21. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

your idea sounds good to me..will look nice

22. TNHaney

TNHaney

Love the way your Car sits... That is what I am after...... The Wheels and tires on my car are 15x5's just like the originals with same back spacing.... The tires are G78-15 Bias ply Cokers........ What size tire is on yours?

Comparing the pictures (from what I can see) I think 2" on my car will put the body on the wheel about where yours is now. But when you compare the front, they look about the same now.... Is that what you guys see?

23. TNHaney

TNHaney

Right now just the factory flattie. I would like to have a dual carb set up of somekind and a set of split exhaust though..... Looking for them now.

24. el conejo 1964

el conejo 1964

I would suggest cutting the front springs first (1/2 coil like you said...maybe more) then decide on the block size in the back. You could buy 2 inch blocks and find out that the front sits too low for your taste or level with the back. Lower the front, measure for height, then drop the ass. Great car by the way. My pops had a 54 2-door wagon. I think it was called a Suburban.

25. 73RR

73RR

Contact George Asche; 814.354.2621

....and when you get ready for a 5-spd....

26. dart165

dart165

If you are refering to the avatar photo, i might of taken that before i cut the full coil out... was a while ago so i forget, but i think it sits lower now.

27. hotrod32@usfamily.net

[email protected]
    from st paul

do you actualy work in that garage???????

28. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

If you still want input, I'm for a 2-3 inches lower. Keep it level or drop the front a little lower. You might try going to the "Photoshop of all photoshops" thread and submit a photo of your car. Tell them what you want, and get a little insite into what it may look like in advance. just my 2 cents.

29. sinks88

sinks88

here is my 54 with shot springs "level" and s-10 front clip, the stance is nice
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. el conejo 1964

el conejo 1964

GOD DAMN! that looks good....