Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do you spend on hot rod and garage tools every time you go into Harbor Freight ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Buildy

Buildy

What scares me even worse than the junk tools and stuff they make in China and the rest of the low rent countries is the automotive parts coming from there!

I picked up a cheap wrench my wife bought and had it snap apart.Open end wrench-no cheater bar and the damn thing breaks loosening a nut by hand and I`m a 98 lb. weakling(relatively speaking).
    The same idiots and chizzlers are making suspension parts.....

Ball joints that snap-junk tires,etc etc.

They gave the death penalty to a couple of the ones in the Poison Baby Formula thing-maybe they need to use it on the ones who make junk parts that kill people.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. If the majority of the posters here and the rest of the people in America think Chinese products are shit then why are Wal-Mart parking lots always full?

Always wanted to ask that question.

3. mrpowderkeg

mrpowderkeg

I have purchased some chinese junk in the past, and that's what it is, junk. Most of the time it was a one job deal, I think 50% of the time the tools parts broke before the job was done. Had a k&n knock off from summit, made in china, the filter would not hold oil, the next all the oil ran off the filter, and the filter was white. Had some cheap grinder, the thing exploded inside, something let go and it was shooting sparks, I think my pal spent 10 on it, and it lasted 5 min with us working on his nova. Dont' get me started on chinese drill bits!

4. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

They are not there for the quality..They are there because they are trying to save money by buying cheaper products.
    I think we have generalized anything coming from China as being inferior. This is probably not the truth just as anything made in the USA is better. There are different companies that make different levels of quality products. It is our own fault that companies in the USA have gone to China, Mexico, India or Jakoffistan to have their products made as the US consumer looks for the cheapest price on items. To stay competitive with the imports that's what they have had to do to stay in business.

5. Every time I walk into Habor Freight with a tool in mind I walk around looking at all the cool stuff and then get to the tool I want and look it over and tell myself I rather pay double that for the tool I really want. five or six times I bought something. I seldom use it.
    nothing personal but I have a bunch of cheap crap that I call tools and as I replace them I want something better

6. budssuperpro

budssuperpro

I think you may be right the cut off wheels can be damage if you drop the grinder say on the floor on the cut off wheel or I watch a lot of guys will throw it down on the work table face down right on the cut wheel.

7. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Grinder wheels and cutoff disks, tubing bender, nothing that plugs in.

8. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Those Chicago Grinders in there last for a decent amount of time surprisingly. One lasted my dad and me almost 2 years before the brushes wore out and it fell off of the shop table breaking the casing in two. I

9. jimcaf

jimcaf
    from san diego

Harbor Frieght,s Mig wire is made in italy,seems like good stuff...I just bought a big spool of 030 Hobart wire 30lbs when i was installing it I noticed it now comes from China!

10. choke

choke

Lifted a 2200 pound Willys off my chassis jig with a Harbor Freight 2 ton gantry. Used their straps, trolley and winch. No problems. Bought the gantry used off of Craigslist and the rest from Harbor. In it under $500.00. Everybody else wanted at least $1000.00 for just the gantry @ only 1 ton. Been using it ever since instead of my cherry picker!!!

11. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Thats because I dont shop there either!

12. yblock292

yblock292

tapered drill bits every time they're on sell buy 2 or 3 of them great for drilling sheetmetal

13. gary9202

gary9202

Went to Harbor frieght last night and spent 40 bucks....Headed to Northern Tool right after and spent 900 bucks.....

14. Ain't that the truth. And most of the time cheaper than anything new - in my experience.

Oh, and I have never shopped @ HF. I know a few guys that do and it seems they are constantly re-buying the same items.

15. 440shawn

440shawn

I purchased a large sandblasting cabinet unit from HF and I love it.

16. They had a good deal over the weekend, their engine crane for $100 as a black friday weekend special - and every magazine has a 20% off coupon in it. $80 for a cherry picker... you can't even buy a used one for that much can you?

For the guy who's going to use it once a year if he's lucky, that's not a bad deal I don't think.

I don't spend much when I go in there but sometimes it's hard not to. Most of the tools I use seem to last OK, and they have a warranty on the hand tools... I have a couple things I ended up with because they were out of stock of what broke and gave me a better one instead, actually.

17. Kramer

Kramer

I probably have spend less than $150 total at HF. I've got a angle grinder that is 5-10 years old, still going strong, but as others have mentioned they are noisey. I thought about picking up a Dewalt that was on sale Friday, but changed my mind. I have a couple of air finish nail guns that are over 5 years old(maybe as old as 10, can't remember as time flies these days) that I have used on several home remodel projects, plus have loaned out a few times. And a few hand tools that if I loose I won't care about.
    Like others have said you gotta pick and choose, I don't use many HF tools for my paying job tools however.
    Closest is in a neighboring city 30 miles away. Although I get there at least once a month I rarely go to the HF, haven't been in it for over a year now, maybe more. (see above.)

18. RichG

RichG

For about $5 you can get a new set of brushes for just about any name brand electric power tool. In less than half an hour you got yourself an essentially new tool! My Milwaukee Magnum 1/2" drill is on its third set of brushes and second chuck:D

I just bought an 18V Milwaukee sawzall, flashlight, and little skilsaw for $40 off craigslist. The sawzall was rusted solid at the shaft. A little PB blaster got it loose, emeried it smooth and put some air tool oil on it, good to go...a little ingenuity and elbow grease can turn just about any yard sale junker into a good tool.

19. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

If my Auto parts store would sell Milk ,Bread and ciggarettes My life would be in balance ,As for harbor freight Just buy the welding helmet,Stud gun ,Roller ,shrinker stretcher,220 welder,bead roller,and brake, And also air tools ,

20. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

I hit HF once every year or so. I have good tools for many years..Craftsman..Williams..Mac..Snap On..Milwaukee..etc..mostly bought and collected over 40 years.

HF though is great for some disposable stuff. I like their Chicago xxx sawzalls..for tree trimming..cause I don't like my son leaving my Mikita laying in the dirt or cutting his arm off with the Mac chain saw.. $19 on sale..still working..have two..just for cutting mesquite.

Pittsburgh tools..in each car as an emergency set. They'll be there if needed..and should work well enough. Sale priced so cheap there almost free.

Cable ties suck..looked like my shop was attacked by worms..had to try 10-15 to get any that actually didn't snap off the retaining clip..POS

I also throw a $9 Multi Meter in tool kits for the cars. Jumper cables..nylon tow rope.

HF has it's place..
    It keeps the rest of the family from using my Craftsman screw drivers as pry bars..and finding my Makita laying in the dirt..or my Fluke used to check a nine volt..
    (should have never shown them how to use the thing)..and trying to find where it was left..

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  21. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

It always amazes me people that dog HF for selling "junk", which it does, but then proudly pound their chest saying "they only buy cutoff wheels there."

So Mr. Intelligent, their grinder may burn out and end up in the garbage can for $8, and that will piss you off, but you will have no problem buying something spinning in your hand at 14,000 RPMs waiting at any moment to explode and sever your skin. I see, excellent logic. I bought cheap cutoff wheels once, once. Ended up giving them away to someone I didn't like much.

Look, here is the basic point, it is DAMN hard as a consumer to find anything NOT made in China, so why am I going to go to Lowe's and buy a grinder for $80 that happens to have one of the 50 state's names on it when it's probably made in the same exact factory as the $8 grinder, yet molded in orange instead of red?

I try to get most of my tools at garage sales, we love "garage sailing" so I clean up. But just because you are buying a DeWalt, doesn't mean it's any less Chinese than the ChiCom-go Electric version.

22. Herdez

Herdez

Went there yesterday, bought an autobody dolly & hammer set under 25 bucks. A set of welders helper sheet metal clamps 10 bucks. 2 metal forming hammers and a few other welding helper tools. Some of the things I know wont break for a long time.

Previous months back, air grinder under 10 bucks, air nail/staple gun 25 bucks, and air nibbler. havent had any problems with any of this stuff yet, at least it will complete one car. lol!;)

23. To answer the original question- Not a penny! That just my .02 worth.

24. I"m on my third grinder from there, actually. But I carry them in the car and abuse them, if I need to cut something apart out in the woods on the spot, that's what these are for, they can lay in the dirt and mud if need be. The first one got sand in it I think. The second one the cord came apart inside the end and shorted out (!) - I think the grinder itself is ok, it just needs another cord put on it.

25. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

I bought a cheapo 1/2" drill and a 2in hole saw to put lights on my trailer, figured if it did the job I'd be happy. Drilled 32 (I like lights!) 3/16" pilot holes fine. Put hole saw bit in and made it almost half way through FIRST hole before drill started smoking, BAD, all the sudden. I had gloves on luckily, dropped the piece of shit and sparks flew out. I yanked the cord out of wall and drill burnt completely up, melted case clear off! All I buy there now are cheap tarps and gloves! Fuck that shit! Oh yeah, those cut-off wheels hurt when they explode and knock your shield into your nose!

26. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

I went in there looking around, wound up buying a big thick rubber wheel chuck and a small parts tray with magnets on the bottom. Rest of the crap looked like crap.

One guy was in there with his "sale" paper buying all kinds of chit, from a 15.00 metal detector to solar powered lawn lights. Idiot spent a couple of hundred bucks on crap. If it was on sale, he was buying it....

27. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

did you lose your wallet in there???

28. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Shield? I just keep my face clear of the wheel. Did anyone see that english wheel they sell?

29. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

They pay me to go there.

30. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

The one near my shop hires cute girls, thats a plus. The powered fly swatters are fun to shock your friends with.