Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 1932 European model B 4-banger engine serial numbers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dutch deuce, Nov 9, 2009.

1. I have a question if the engine in my 32 chassis is a 32 engine or newer.
    It is a 4 banger by the way

The number stamped into the engine is: 28 R 1527869 and below it EB Ford

In the middle of the head it is marked : 23 G 43
    and near the firewall it is marked : G 98 T

The chassis was under a Dutch build panel delivery.

Waterpump has 3 bolts, carb is Zenith

Thanks Hennie

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

G 98 T = Ford Germany truck 1939 revision of the B design. the 43 on head might well indicate cast in 1943, though there was an upgrade in 1942 (G28T) that went to insert bearings. Your engine is probably a Wehrmacht veteran!
    Last sighting of a G 98 T on here was from Bulgaria!!

3. Thanks Bruce for the quick reaction

Do you think it is good to use and are parts the same as a 'normal' 32 engine ?

Thanks Hennie

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I cannot say for sure...only have much detail on the later G28T and the normal American and Englih B and Bf's...but I suspect this will match up to USA B. Just measure and post things like bearing sizes for verification. Pretty sure this has to ba a B (3 7/8 bore) and not a BF small bore euromotor. Do you have a steering wheel or dash leftover from that stuff?? I am looking for certain European and British deuce stuff.

5. Yes i still have the chassis with dash, firewall, steeringwheel etc. Is this different from a normal 1932 Deuce ??
    I sold the panel delivery body cause it was rotten and incomplete.
    Also got a 32 body from French with suicide doors and "Euro" dash with two open gloveboxes

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'm looking for one of those 2-opening dash setups, which I think are British, and maybe one of the steering wheels with metal spoke center separate from the black rim. I love odd deuce parts! I think I have a Dutch '32 owner's manual around here in my odd stuff collections, and parts books from everywhere from Denmark to New Zealand...
    The suicide door deuces (except for certain coupes...) are of British origin. Your delivery chassis could have been US or British...I think Holland got stuff from both sources.

7. There is not a lot to find in Holland that has been sold new overhere.

Most Model A's and 1932's are imported in the 70's and 80's from Denmark or have

been later imported from the U.S.

My 'American' body 1932 V-8 tudor was build in Asnieres in France, but i also have

seen a European body Fordor 4 banger from this factory.

The wetter in Holland is not really kind to old cars so they rust like hell.

My 'English' tudor (body only) was imported from France (like said before)

and my rolling 32 chassis was found in Holland and was a Dutch build car, at least

that was told by the previous owner who knew the car since the 50's

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Interesting paths that '32's took getting all over the world! Germans were still building 1932 pattern BB trucks up into the war, and built their B and '42 Merc engines well into the 1950's.

9. That's right Bruce

I had a 1954 Ford Koln engine the came out of a Belgium ambulance truck and did build it into a 29 model A pickup.
    Engine code on this one was G 54 T and had a Bosch starter and Solex carburator.
    Engine had only 20.000 miles on it and ran like a new one.
    This trucks are still for sale over here sometimes with less then 5.000 miles from new, only problem is they were about 2.000 to 3.000 dollars for a complete truck five years ago and now they are about 10.000 dollars

10. 28 R 1527869 and below it EB Ford

The "EB" marking means Eisenwerk Brühl, thats the foundry that did most of the german blocks, heads, bell housings etc....
    You can be shure that block is german made.

11. Thanks for the info / Vielen dank meiner Deutsche Freund

12. ventilo

ventilo

The G28T 4cyl. engine was used in the Cologne built Ford FK2000 truck until 1953, however it was continued for industrial use for some time.
    The German flathead V8s (typical rear mounted distributor) were used in the German Ford trucks until 1961, when truck production was discontinued by Ford of Germany. Again engine production continued for some time for spares and industrial engines. This engine was used in German army trucks ("NATO-Ziege") and surplus army engine parts are still available to some extend.

After 1961 only the French (and later Brazil) continued building Ford "flatheads". French Flatheads are plentiful as you can see on a picture I took last winter on a trip to France

de groetjes uit Keulen,
    ventilo
    www.fomcc.de

Attached Files:

13. Ive got a 32 Tudor. Its built in Copenhagen, Denmark. With suicide doors and 2-opening dash. They also built Tudors with the american body-style in Denmark.
    Lars

14. Like i said before Denmark was (i think) the biggest source for old Fords
    for us Dutchies but probably not any more because nowadays we
    never see fresh imports from Denmark in Holland

P.s Are both your 32's Danish and both with suicide doors ?

15. Thats because they are gone to Holland:D
    I dont know where the other one is built, but i guess its built here as well. Why import something you built here, but its with suicide doors.
    The last 32 bodystyle was built in Dagenham, England, in september 1935. It was a Tudor. The last roadster was built in Denmark in may 1934.
    Lars

16. Thanks Lars and thanks Denmark for your big supply of old pre-war Fords in the past
    Did i also mention my 1939 Mercury coupe was imported from Denmark too
    (yes you may hate me)
    Maybe someday they will return for enviremental bullsh.t reasons :):confused:

17. Indeed Danmark seems to be a good place for wheelin dealin 32 Fords.
    I bought this one in the mid 90's and it came straight out of the middle of Danmark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and in return I sold that sedan 12 years later to a guy from Danmark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Matranga

Matranga

Two beaties Flatordead, yes 3 of my cars are from Denmark and only one was sold new in Holland.
    In Holland not many survived 2nd World War and rust is a big problem overhere (like in Germany)
    Are both your 32's 4 bangers ? Don't see a V-8 emblem on the headlightbar or the hubcaps.

19. Im am sorry Flatordead, youll have to bring back the 3w. This is an officiel message. I will give you my adress later.
    The Tudor is runing cheaterheads, where they on it, when you sold it. And yeas the Tudor has a V8.
    Lars

20. The 3wd was an original model 18 with a later 37/38 LB engine installed. I bought that car from a german movie set outfitter. They bought about twenty 20/30's cars from Danmark as a package deal for a movie about Marlene Dietrich. There where a few cars that the company didn't want for the movie set. The Ford was one of them and was put up for sale.
    I was the lucky one who had money, truck and trailer handy for a really quick pick up.
    The sedan was an original model B. I believe it came from Switzerland, but was build in Germany. When I got the sedan I pulled the banger and trans and put a fresh V8 in it. The heads are german alu heads from a WW2 truck. They are pretty much the same as the american cheaters. The banger is doin his job now in the little model A jalopy that belongs to my buddy Axel.
    I'll dig out some pics tomorrow.

21. Come on Gatordead, where are the pictures you promised
    Lars

22. Your right Lars, i'm waiting too.

23. This is the block that went in the 32 sedan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here the motor mounts installation

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here the finished thing

[​IMG]

24. hi guys i thought i would add a bit to the mix ,i had a english tudor it had suicide doors 33 ford dash, skrits on all four fenders (like 34)...BUT 1932 18" wheels, grill /shell,hood (but louvers where in a rased pannels ), 32 chassis, (4 wheel hand brake) tri bar 32 lights dropped headlight bar, 32 tailights, gas tank , 4 banger and all stock (body was all wood framed )the body was just like the above tudor with fugly big forhead above windsheld

hope you don,t mind my two cents worth

25. This was the left over

[​IMG]

and a Mallory and a adpter and a 94 and this

[​IMG]

it went into this

[​IMG]

Thats the story so far.............

26. Thanks Flatordead, those are very neat homemade engine mounts, looks almost stock.
    I also have a spare model A chassis and a spare model B 4-banger so maybe i better keep it for a nice speedster.

27. slammed58buick

slammed58buick

This is by far one of the most interesting and informative threads on this site. I have really enjoyed reading it.

28. I have 7 other cars all in need of work, some cars need little work, some need major work, my 39 Mercury needs the most work, even the chassis is gone but it's a complete car.
    So the Speedster will be ready in 2050.

29. No you are welcome. The "32"`s built England, from 1934, also had chromed grill shell. And the fenders changed to 33 style in 33, but the body stayed the same, until they stopped production in 1935.
    Lars