Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tim Conder is right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasser1961, Nov 27, 2009.

1. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

OK Mr. 1 post, what is your other HAMB ID?

2. Cshabang

Cshabang

Thanks for posting. Been a fan of Tims for a long time..hes got the right mentality in my book....esp since we share the same thoughts haha

3. glmke

glmke

I AGREE with everything he said.

4. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Well I don't know Tim and I have never had the chance to speak with him. I certainly echo exactly what he speaks, I agree with his statements, but shit he has a Donovan block....

Not every day in a little back yard garage a couple of friends are trying to run a nitro digger with a "Donovan" hemi.... I would give up alot to have his present dream, however; it is certainly out of reach for me, and I am having a blast with a nostalgic drag car trying to catch up on everything I missed as I was born a little too late....

I believe what he is doing is perfect and true to the spirit, however; I'll have to put up with an iron block hemi....

5. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

It's called bracket racing, and I'm gonna get alot of shit for this, but here goes...I like bracket racing...why? Because this way, it's not the richest man that wins. You run what you brung, and for the average guy that doesn't have a 150000$ car, it makes it possible to have a good time racing. I run a '77 Firbird with a 455 all day long and it doesn't cost me a fucking dime! If the car gets slower as the day gets longer, I change my bracket, and hope I don't break out. Hell, sometimes I don't even tow the car to the track, I drive it!!! Some of you will dissagree, but most of you that do, all have big buck cars. That's my 2 cents.

6. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

The issue with bracket racing, is hammering on the brakes or the car diving over nearing the finish line so you don't break out. That stinks no matter how you look at it.... A '77 Firebird against a rear engine digger on alcohol, I see it all the time and it does stink. Two differrent worlds, bracket racing has become more about braking than mashing the throttle.....

What do I know, my opinion and 25 cents will not buy you a coffee.....

If this was not the issue with bracket racing, then I don't think people would mind it.

7. I Drag

I Drag

I watched the video and agree with the main points. But "the masses are asses", and that's why there are artists that get it, and the other 99% of society that don't. Cool so far.

But yes it does matter whose dime his dream runs on. Good for him if he can find backers ($), but don't then pretend you're funding some cool existential trip by yourself. So was this self-funded or someone else's "investment"?

Dreams can fall pretty far down the priority list when you gotta pay your own way.

8. 63wagon

63wagon
    from PNW

Hey Solid, I am sure you have gotten to know him really well from 2000 miles away. Can you direct me to the shit-talkin forum?...

Tim has and will continue to draw and build some badass shit, but the shit he talks far out weighs the stuff he builds. (i am one to talk, right)

this is my only HAMB account. You dont know me, never will. I dont crave the spotlight. I came here to find some info for my stuff and instead found the Legendary Tim Conder. After I stopped laughing I decided to chime in.

Hey Tim, I know you reading this because the one thing you think is cooler than blown Hemi's is people talking about you. Tell me I am wrong. Until then just shut up and build your slingshot; its been sitting there far too long!

I'm done

9. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Exactly......

10. solid

solid

I never said i knew him, but it's not hard to find out how talented the guy is, or that he means what he says. Do a little reading. This is a traditional hot rod forum, not an i'm gonna cry about investments that didnt pan out forum...there is plenty of other places you can go talk shit. It sounds like your a pro.

11. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

MR.CONDER...i feel exactly the same way. the PRO. cars have done a big injustice to drag racing. the CORPS. who sponcer the beer wagons and oil cans, have also paid off the dome stadiums to put their name on the building. i call them corporate whores. even a pro. stocker has a mill that cost $100,000.00 and the trany cost $10,000.00. man i would rather watch rods like yours that run 60s style drag racing. and believe me MOST real roders do. that's why nostliga racing is on the rise. please believe me YOUR not alone! and H.A.M.B. has been a special provider to that process. NUFF SAID...POP.

12. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

MR.CONDER...i feel exactly the same way. the PRO. cars have done a big injustice to drag racing. the CORPS. who sponcer the beer wagons and oil cans, have also paid off the dome stadiums to put their name on the building. i call them corporate whores. even a pro. stocker has a mill that cost $100,000.00 and the trany cost $10,000.00. man i would rather watch rods like yours that run 60s style drag racing. and believe me MOST real roders do. that's why nostliga racing is on the rise. please believe me YOUR not alone! and H.A.M.B. has been a special provider to that process. NUFF SAID...POP.

13. the shadow

the shadow

I agree will alot of what he says,the modern drag race is too fast and has no character the only thing that makes the rails & FC's different is there paint color & decals. when the teams decided to all have to have a VIP tented eating area,private chefs,the semi & trailer,the motor home, & pit cars ect 4 teams can take up as much space as 10 teams 25 years ago? go to a national event and walk down the city of trailers till you come to kris karmesinis (the greeks) rig....5th wheel trailer with an ezy up tent and a duelly truck and the guy qualifies!
    as for his ideal race...he's right it's a pipe dream, the powers that be will not let it happen and if they do they will dictate the outcome (speed/distance/fuel % ect)
    Paul

14. I agree with one thing that Wally Parks said back in the '60's. He was discussing the expenses of running a Top Fuel Dragster and said "Three guys with good jobs should be able to run a dragster." Where did the NHRA go so wrong, Wally?

15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Sometimes life throws you a curve and smashes your dreams, but you have to keep trying no matter what. I'm not defending Tim, he's a big boy, he can do that himself. We run an A/F dragster. Three of us. None of us are rich or well to do. We do it with hard work, help from our friends and luck. I am currently gathering parts for a tire smoker. By the time my car is done I hope others will be ready. :D:cool: Tim has a dream, dreams are hard to catch most of the time, and even harder to keep. Like I said, Tim has a dream, I have the same one. He may be a goofball, but that's ok, so am I. :D Lippy

16. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Hey Krip!

I love the way your answer to the world's problems is more flake!!! :D

MIJ

17. bill wallace

bill wallace

I've spent a lifetime since the mid 1950s involved in several eras of drag racing & you cant go back again. This was started as a participant motor sport & in the begining even the most well known participants were amatures. What changed drag racing was the never ending promotion that required the traveling circus to come to town to put on a show for the strip owners to make money& thats what profesionalized drag racing. What saved drag racing from vanishing altogether was the discovery of bracket racing in the early 70s. If you really beleive that drag racing would have survived go to a NHRA divisional or national & walk thru the comp. eliminator pit & watch comp eliminator & you can see exactly what drag racing was like back in the day & then when you see how much the cars cost & how few there are, that was where drag racing was in the early 70s. Drag racing is still a participant sport & now the racing requires different talents , different types of cars & equipment,& different attitudes. You either adjust with the times & enjoy what is there for you today or sit on the porch & wish for times past that will not be again. Life will forever be the journey not the destination.

18. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

You know it makes sense!:cool:

19. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

20. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

OK, the poster appears to be a troll. Nothing here to lend any credibility to his claims, the show is over.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

21. RichG

RichG

22. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

I don't know the guy, I just like the points he made.

23. 63wagon

63wagon
    from PNW

Credibility?...

I was around for the rise and/or fall of Conder Custom, Easyriders and Armageddon Top Fuel. I helped put the fire out on the 'Ultimate Flame Job' on 2nd Ave, and was there when Tim reversed the castle nuts on Keahi's 55 while packing the front wheel bearings. I have sat in the digger he's building and was there when he got pissed that everyone around him was unwilling to give up all their spare time to forward his dream at Tice's place.

My points; 1. that car didnt get built by one guy alone and he shouldn't be selling it that way, and 2. these types of projects are way cooler when you dont see them coming, and he's been talking about how cool he and his shit is for a long time.

Just shut up and build it!!

(okay, now I'll shut up for real!)

24. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

You sound like a PO'd ex wife. Without your identity and credentials, you have no credibility beyond that of a garden variety troll. Talk is cheap, chump.

25. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

$$ G-R-E-E-D $$

Shit dude, the guy running the NHRA prolly thinks a Donovan is a Irish Gangsta.....

I like nitro....

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  26. old beet

old beet

I have known and liked Tim for over 25 years. Haven't seen him lately. Tim is a very talented artist. Like most artists , wired a little different. Not a bad thing. He has always done a good job at honking his own horn. Looks like he has a lot of canvas to fill now, with some very expensive "paint". But he is not the new "Hot Rod Jesus" Chime in Tim..Beet

27. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i think we (or at least i) can conclude that all modern "professional" racing sucks. i have much more on this to comment later.

However, lining up against someone (whether you know them or not) at a stop light is and will always be awesome.

28. Spity

Spity

Id much rather watch slower interesting shit, than faster boring shit.

29. RichG

RichG

Yes, credibility, as in "I'm not going to hide behind a fakey user name and talk shit about someone else, safe and content in my little hole where no one can ever see the real me".

30. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Man, I don't have the answers but I know Bracket Racing did at least save drag racing for awhile. Now, it's become ridiculous when these Super Comp Dragster launch, lay down for 3 or 4 seconds, then haul ass up to 200 MPH with a very big expensive motor. That actually confuses a lot of new spectators. I remember going to bracket races in the late 70's and early 80's and people would be filling the spectator stands to watch. Well, it's no longer a spectator sport. The stands are usually empty. But anyway, as much as I love heads-up drag racing and having raced in Drag Radial competition a few years, heads-up racing ends up being a "spending contest". I have an hourly job working 40-60 hours a week and I'm NOT gonna get involved trying to outspend other people with much deeper pockets than me. I'd like to see a real heads-up budget class with STRICT rules in place that stay in place.