Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Got me a 56 GMC!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krackerjack88, Nov 27, 2009.

1. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Well after the hell of Black Friday... I went to look at a 56 GMC 1/2 ton big window today. After going through it and deciding my plans for it, I decided to buy it. Perfect price and it's a runner. 350/Powerglide, Ford 9" with a very nice 4 link set up. Chevelle clipped front end. The truck needs work but looks like a great start for me. Let me know what you guys think.

Attached Files:

2. hvychvy

hvychvy

Love the stance!What are your plans for it?

3. Chuckdriver

Chuckdriver

Nice find!! Get to work on it soon and keep the pics coming!!

4. Looks like a solid project to me . . . should be fun! I've always liked these mid-50's style trucks. Looks like the rear suspension and frame work was done well - nice not to have to rip everything out of it and start over!

5. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Well it has a poorly set up front tilt front end. So i'm going to put the fenders,radiator support back to stock. Probably just make the hood tilt forward. Maybe some suicide doors. Finish the bed up. Clean the motor and tranny up. It has a shaved firewall already. Then drive it till I decide paint on it.

6. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Two things:
    1. Next time, don't let your girl freeze like that
    2. That's a Chevrolet, not a GMC...........I HATE to be teased. =OP

Other than that, it's a clean ride and will make a GREAT truck once you get it out of those ugly flames! CONGRATS!

[​IMG]

7. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

GMC with chevy tailgate, hood, and grille. Girl freeze?!

8. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Who would do that?!? Who would take off all that fantastically over done grille and over-riders for plain jane Chevy stuff?!? Are you gunna replace it all with GMC stuff?

That last pic, of the front end, there's a girl who looks cold as Hell on the right hand side of the frame. :D

BTW, Poncho's and GMC trucks are sister vehicles.:D

Your front fenders are Chevrolet as well..........GMC had a fluting in the sheet metal between the marker lights and the bumper.

9. That is a real good looking start. It sounds like you've got enough of the basics covered to get it your way and be cruisin' in no time. Good luck with it.

10. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

It won't take much to make that a really cool ride. It is a GMC cab (look at the dash), but the rest is Chevy stuff.

Good score!

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

11. Very nice find!

Definitely try to bring it back to its original GMC glory. Nothing wrong with the chevy's, but there's just something extra cool about the GMC front end.

12. Harps

Harps

Great looking truck to start with for sure. Like the stance on it, and the big window is killer. Congrats.

13. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Haha that's my girlfriend. She was a soldier today. Wasn't even scared to go for a ride after we got it back to the shop.:) Yeah if I can find myself some fenders and a grill/tailgate i'd love to see it back GMC looking.

14. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Looks like a good solid start!

15. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

She's stronger than I am! I'd of been wearing your clothes while you hobbled around nekked!

Did you ask the idiot who cut that truck up in a poor attempt to customize it, WHAT he did with the missing sheet metal? You'd be surprised how many body pieces I hang onto JUST IN CASE.:rolleyes: That dash is rough, but it's flat metal............but can I put a vote in for replacing that steering wheel ASAP?!?

If all else fails and you REALLY want to restore it, try Turners and since you're so close to Bakertucky, I'll have a look around here. In the mean time, and I hate monochromatic but this time I like it, an idea:
    [​IMG]

16. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Yeah the dash just needs the actual flat sheetmetal part welded up. I'm alright with not having a glove box. He actually just had what you see here. Thing is is at the shop I basically have a whole 55-57 Chevy body as back up. It has the old GMC Hydramatic steering column indicator. It's really solid only rust is on cab corners. Other then that it's pretty damn straight. The wheels are nice and it has about 15 inch wide MT's on the back.

17. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

front end up, back end down.

18. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Yeah the stance is kind of off for me too. It has the adjustable height in the front end so it should be fairly easy to higher. Yes steering wheel be gone ASAP. Going through the brakes and ignition system monday. the will get to the body.

19. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Great project! You sure it's a GMC? I thought they had a different grille than the Chevy.

20. e z i

e z i

I believe, 'cause I had one, that fluting piece was a separate part
    that was attached to the fender.

21. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Wouldn't there be all sorts of holes where that piece and all of that bumper and wrap around would have bolted to? Would the round marker light hole have been almost rectangle shaped?

I'm not picking, just asking..........

22. haychrishay

haychrishay

Looks like you got your work cut out for you but I think I'd be for putting the GMC sheet metal back on it

23. [​IMG]

Nice project. Those GMC's were some of the best looking pickups ever built. I'd be on the lookout for the proper sheetmetal to put it right.

24. e z i

e z i

Yes, a GMC fender has more holes in it than a Chevrolet fender.

25. dropped53

dropped53
    from Hanford CA

Nice looking truck GMC or CHEVY

26. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Who would ever want a GMC? HA! HA! And yes it is a GMC by looking at the dash.It looks like the rear was done well,hell man instead of going up in the front just bring the rear down to match.I noticed the girl freezing too,you better go get a ring now,cause a girl who will do that is worth keeping!(Just dont keep doing that to her once is enough!)cool truck man good luck!

27. KaliRodding

KaliRodding
    from Nor-Cal

If you want some GMC interior parts, let me know. I have a 59 parts truck with a great dash and speed cluster, sterring wheel, column. Sweet ride bro.

28. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

I like both the GMC and Chevy look. And yeah the rear end down would be nice too. Or just bag it. And for the girl... She's not going anywhere.

Thanks

29. I have some GMC front grille area parts, the heavy metal outrageous GMC kool stuff. You do not need any lowering kits when all the GMC front metal is bolted on as the front will drop from the weight!:eek::D. I've always liked them, was suprised to learn they had pontiac V-8's, anyway if you go back to GMC front I might be able to help. Good luck.

30. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

There's something about that truck that I like. Not quite sure what it is. :D

Nice score, dude. I like the suicide door idea. Post pix of how you do it.