Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Kaiser Drag'n build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NTAPHSE, Jun 13, 2008.

1. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

The lift is from http://www.maxjaxusa.com/ they run about $2000 but if you look around they do group buys occasionally so you can save a couple hundred.

2. James66g

James66g

Hey man just thought I would pop in and check you out you are really picking up steam here I cant wait to see this thing in paint as well. I am hoping to make it for this years gnrs and even more so if this car will be there!

3. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

James I too would love to make the GNRS, it's a great show. I'll post up here which shows I'll be at when the car is finished.

4. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Thanks man!looking into it still.Im sure its worth every penny though.Keep those post coming Im really digging your build!

5. RAY With

RAY With

First time I have seen this build and I am impressed. Great body work and one of the most unique I have seen in a long time. I never like the Kaiser when they were new but your ideas have altered my thoughts. I really like what you have done. I hope to see it finished and thanks for posting your work.

6. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Spent all weekend working on the bottom of the car prepping it for POR15. Should be applying the POR15 tonight, then a few miscellaneous loose ends to tie up before we load the trailer on Thursday. Still waiting on the Alumaloy welding rod to show up so I can weld me potmetal window trim together. Kaiser Larry came through big time and brought over a perfect fitting hood last night too.

7. freebird101

freebird101

got any new pics?

8. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

As a matter of fact I do. We hauled the car out to Gene Winfield's on Thursday night last week, then thrashed on it until Monday morning. Gene is an animal and really pushed us to work hard. I can't even tell you how much I learned and how much fun I had busting ass in his shop. He was very hospitable, and the Kaiser now has its own bay in his shop until it comes home with perfect bodywork and paint. Gene estimates it needs 200 hours of body work, so I'll be making several trips back out there to help work on it. We're shooting to have it done for the March Goodguys season opener in Scottsdale.

Funny and true!

[​IMG]

This is what we did all weekend.

[​IMG]

Gene says there can't be a single pinhole in the sheetmetal. I thought I had it welded solid, but we wound up adding a lot of tack welds, grinding, checking, then repeating until it was perfect. No sense in taking short cuts and risking the paint job.

[​IMG]

I also thought I was "done" with the body mods, but Gene instantly had more ideas. He insisted on frenching the hood ornament, and when I came in on Saturday morning there was a hole in the hood! He also asked me all weekend if I was going to weld up the hole in my door (for the door handle).

[​IMG]

Once I got the sheetmetal work done on the hood Gene taught us how to gas weld and I finished up the welding. I'll be picking up a torch soon, it's definitely the next level in sheetmetal fab.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  9. Big Nick

Big Nick

Kick ass! I cant wait to see it done!

10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Haven't commented in a while, but you are a lucky SOB to be able to work shoulder-to-shoulder with Gene Winfield! Great job on the car, both of you kids. :D

11. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I brought some special order Alumaloy welding rod for the potmetal window frames and Gene welded them up. He said it was pretty difficult to work with so I'm glad he was doing the welding. They seem to be strong enough though.

[​IMG]

My paint is going to be similar to this, only with more dark and medium blue at the bottom.

[​IMG]

Here's where I left her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  12. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

NTAHSE...i must say at first i thaught you just got out of the loony bin. i mean a KAISER, and total rust bucket too! but YOU SIR have braught me in from the dark side. it's outstanding in every way, HOLLY CRAPERS batman. you could build customs for a living, A DAMN good living young man. your metal work is excelent! it's a real pleasure to have you in h.a.m.b. call me POP...or the old FART!

13. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

14. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Is there anybody cooler then Gene Winfield ? If so please let us know. He 's 82 or something and always has a smile and just reeks of everything Hot Rod....

15. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

If I could vote for one person to live forever... I think Gene would be it.

-Chris

16. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

NTAPHSE, amazing. I have been following your progress little by little and to see you working with Gene is NUTS! I met Gene last year and my head is still spinning. Good going. Slim

17. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Wow!! That's all I can say. Ill saty tuned in to this one. Can't wait to see it finished.

18. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

So are you going to be using the original hood ornament base still? I already got it rechromed along with a bunch more exterior parts, just haven't got the time to post the pics yet. It had a break in it too that I fixed. The door handles look way too nice to leave them off now. You'll see... :cool:

19. X2....ntaphse , your a lucky guy

20. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Hah I knew you would freak when you saw the hood! Don't worry I told Gene that you were doing the chrome and not to mess with the parts. It uses the stock ornament base as is.

I can't wait to see the pics, hurry!

21. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

So true. Try to find a guy that DOESN'T like him.

22. kristuphir

kristuphir

I just joined the HAMB and I think this might even be my first post. I spent an hour and a half going through this thread instead of working today and now I want nothing more than to go raid the junkyards in search of an unusual pile of crap, then post a thread just like this one four years from now. What an inspiration, and a fantastic-looking car!

23. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Thanks Kris - go get yourself a car and start cutting!

24. inkmunky

inkmunky

This too has been a true inspiration for me and my '53. Still working on it want to get some more done before i go posting anything up of it, but wow i can't wait to see this one finished!

25. After it's done,I hope you bring it SoCal every now and then,so I can see it in person!!!

26. lorodz

lorodz

wow i have been waiting see the end result of this build..this car is so fucking amazing .. i love it ..keep it up ..

27. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I'm planning on driving it to some SoCal shows, probably Primer Nats since my dad lives in Ventura and the GNRS for starters.

28. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

NTAPHSE.. Amazing Work.. and You are Very Talented .. Mr Winfields Going to Give it Color.??

29. koolkemp

koolkemp

Wow one of my favorite threads just got even better! I cant wait to see this come together!

30. Cshabang

Cshabang

very cool man...i thought it was wild when i saw it in Hot Rod..now its a whole nuther level