Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Fear Commitment? It's Bed Time! Tin work in progress...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scottybaccus, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Senica

Senica

I LOVE the the front view!
    That is Su-WEET!

That Falcon looks good, too!

2. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Scotty, I love trucks especially fenderless truck meant to do some work. I also would second the lowering of the head lights. Truck is looking real good.

41 Dave

3. AgentOrange

AgentOrange

Honey..........your right about Ginger/Fred deal except for one small detail. She had to hold on to do it :eek::D:cool:

4. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Dave, I'm not sure actual work is what I have in mind, but there will be room for a cooler! :)

I ran out of cut-off wheels and grinding discs tonight, so it must be time for a status report.

Here's what I've been up to this weekend. Am I on the right track?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

So now I have four stake pockets. I'll have to roll some beads in the bedsides this weekend to stiffen them up a bit before welding these on. I think I am bolting the bed together for now. I might do a Chevrolet script in the tailgate later, so I want to be able to take it back out.
    If anyone has suggestions for bead designs on the sides, I'm open.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Looks nice! I am about to assemble my last refuge bed shortly...
    I like the beads that it's got one it, that follow the fender lines. (although I don't run fenders)
    Guess that would look cool on yours too...

7. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Hey Dave! Thanks!

I have almost put this bed to bed! I did some prelim assembly this weekend after mulling over the whole beaded side question. I had planned to weld it together, but decided to bolt it together instead. It will simplify paint and leave my options open for beading the sides and tailgate.
    I got lucky and stumbled on some truss head screws that will look correct. They were in a 50 count pack at Tractor Supply in the tractor maintenance aisle for about $8. Slightly smaller head than I wanted, but too right to walk away. Once I get a few of these in at the joints, this will start looking a lot more like an OE bed than I had hoped.
    Now the stake pockets are welded out and smoothed on the inside. This stiffed the bed sides a lot more than expected. I cleco'd the sides to the gates where the bolts will be installed and put it back on the chassis for the holiday. I think I will limit the beading on the sides to a curved brow over the wheel. I have a little bit left to mount the subframe to the truck and beading the sides, then I can shoot some primer on some parts and start final assembly. I have some ideas for the tailgate to stamp a Chevrolet script, but that will have to wait.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

I would love to see how you made those stake pockets.. They are great!

9. This is looking great . I like the idea of the brow above the wheel.
    Our builds are very similar to each other and yours is very motivating, so rock on rocker!

10. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Pretty easy, actually. They are pictured before and after farther up in this thread. I played around with a piece of cardboard to see what curve would make the full length with the existing metal, then I sliced it down both sides about 1/4" down from the edge of the bead. I drew the arch I had worked out, but 1/4" smaller in radius, so it would use the remaining side of the bead, cut that curve and wrapped the top down the curve, tack welding it as I went. It took a little hammer work using a block of wood to protect from dents, but it landed right at the bottom of the curve, as intended. That would not have been possible if they had not made them about 3/4" too long. (maybe 18.75" was correct for the OE bed?)

Thanks! I like what you're doing. I really wanted an earlier model, but looking at all the work you are doing to cope with the wood, I am glad I used the '39.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  11. [QUOTE\]Thanks! I like what you're doing. I really wanted an earlier model, but looking at all the work you are doing to cope with the wood, I am glad I used the '39.[/QUOTE]

Rub it in why dont'cha :)

12. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Awesome progress! I love this truck. I have only 1 suggestion, and maybe it's too late/too stupid: that truck is all round and curvaceous.....the bed rails are rectangular though, kinda in conflict with the rest of the truck aesthetics. The rails could be replaced with round exhaust tubing...if you want to make em round, that is. Just a thought. Either way, it's great, keep posting progress pics!! :)

13. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

See, you're calling me out on details! Chevy did use round bed rails. Ford used the square. I considered a round rail, but wanted to avoid the hassle of welding a tube the full length. It is easy to cause warpage and almost promises body filler to hide the seam. Using a brake to fold them was just too easy. I did go out of my way to put some curves in the bed with the stake pockets, though! Did you see that, smart guy?! Huh? :p

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  14. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Holy shizzel batman, you are kicking @ss man, the truck looks GREAT! Everything is coming together really well, hats off. The bed is exactly what it needs to be, & the hood & grill are really gonna pull the look together.

You should be really proud. You are pulling off something that is not easy to do. I am really excited to see your progress, keep it up!

Dan

15. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Thanks Dan!

I'm headed home to spend a weekend locked in the garage with all this snow that we are supposed to get today. Maybe I can get it screwed together and in primer. Not likely, but I can hope, right?!

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Awesome looking build, Scotty! This is my first time reading this thread and it's cool to see how it progressed. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Any thoughts color?

17. What year stake pockets are those for ? I wish I had seen those before ordering the 41-46 chevy ones I've been cutting and welding on.

18. lorodz

lorodz

looks great....

19. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

LOL. Yeah, you're right about the full-length welds....would be quite a PITA. And yeah, I see the stake pockets. Frekin beautiful! You gave me an idea for my bed......I curved my stake pockets at the top where they meet the bed rails. I never liked that stock intersection that Chevy used. Now it looks more betterer!

Keep posting pix, brudda.....I'm lovin your build, and I wanna steal more of your ideas! :) ;)

20. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I was thinking about something like Washington Blue (think of a WWII Navy fighter), but a good friend just put the exact color I was looking for on his '32, so now I need to do something different. I want something with a late '30s, early '40s feel. I saw a light green in this months TRJ that I like.

They are all 4 the front stake pocket for a '36-'39 Chevy. I guess there is only one source cuz everyone selling them has the same part number, SM161-F. These are from American Classic Truck Parts.

I appreciate all the support, fellas. I hope it makes the Round Up. No doubt it will run in 2010. I just have to manage the rest of the spend carefully.

21. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Scotty, Looks to be one way cool ride you are building. This ain't no Rudy truck . . . . this is a Scotty truck . . . And it rules !

41 Dave

22. 37FABRICATION

37FABRICATION

I'm impressed with the direction you're going with this build. Keep us posted and see you at Roundup... Matt.

23. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Dave, Matt, Gracias!

I do hereby, on this 1st day of 2010, put this bed....To Bed! My lovely daughter, in town for the holidays, has been a great help. She drilled literally dozens of holes, helped me put this thing on and off the truck a dozen times, stepped up to help Cam and I roll the beads in the panels and basically put up with my wining for the last couple of weeks!
    Here is the final picture post for this chapter. The bed is beaded, screwed and mounted. The over built subframe is doing it's part supporting the LPG tank and I am feeling really stoked about the next chapter. Watch for my next thread in a couple of weeks. It's time for me to hit the road for a few days and pay some bills. Peace!

The next chapter here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437573&showall=1

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  24. Nice work!!
    What are you planning for inside the bed??
    Wood or metal??

You got any pics of how you mounted the bed to the frame??
    I am scratching my about this for a ling time now...

25. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

the truck bed came out real nice good job

26. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I'll keep saying thanks as long as you guys like what I'm doing! Gracias!

Fuxl, Here's the only pics I have of the mounts, unfinished, but you get the idea. I used 6 points with 3/8-16 bolts and nyloc nuts. The big concern is the 150+ pounds of fuel tank that I wanted balanced above the suspension cross-member. The frame had to be stout for that more than the tin.

Oh, I'm undecided on the bed floor. It will need to have a bubble for suspension parts clearance, so that's a visual to work out, but metal is most likely.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! When trying to decide what changes to make to a vehicle I've found that the best course of action is to take some "straight-on" side pictures of what you are working on, have the photos developed, enlarged and copied onto regular paper, then "cut and paste" until you like what you see. If you are going to chop, section or shorten a vehicle be sure to make inch marks on the vehicle with a contrasting color before you take your pictures and then you can tell exactly how much metal you need to remove to get the look you are after, and having said all that my suggestion is to move the cab to the rear about half a foot, Good Luck, you're doing a great job, Mike.

28. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Good advice. I went through all that about two and a half years ago when starting this build. I'm very happy with the lines and proportions. I have put a great deal of effort and study into getting it right.

29. BELLM

BELLM

Lookin good! Good to see you & the family Thursday night. Don't forget to add an extra hookup to the propane tank so we can hook up a gas grille.

30. Good looking truck Scotty! Nice attention to proportion and your Fab work is excellent!