Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone here with a Ebay Posi Third member?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HD74, Nov 24, 2009.

1. HD74

HD74

Trying to find if anyone has purchased, installed and is happy with the third member specifically from 69dart_440. Tried this before but the thread was deleted? You can look-up the third member and 69dart 440 to see what they are calling POSI.

2. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

There are several variations of Ford 9" rears and as far as I know there are two factory "Posi" types (less the Detroit Locker which doesn't use friction materials) There was a Traction Lock and an Equa-Lock - both are clutch type "posi" units, both were available in 2 pinion and 4 pinion, both had 28 or 31 splines, then of course there were several cases - light, medium, heavy duty (aka the famous "N" case) there are several pinion supports: the standard ones and the desireable "daytona" aka big bearing support - which is much desireable IMHO, and lastly there are several duty yokes - which not only vary in ujoint size but offset as well - so if you're looking to replace an existing "pumpkin" you will at least need to know what yoke you have as well as the axle spline count.

Bottom line - I looked up this Ebay auction - I find it quite curious that the seller uses "ODD terms" to describe his parts as well as doesn't show any good pictures of his parts - makes my "warning light" start to flash.

3. Tech @ BG

Tech @ BG

I've used some of the "trac-lok" before and they act comparable to a GM "limited slip" imo. Would much rather prefer the Detroit Locker .

I would contact the seller and ask him for better pics and to clarify what he is offering. [I didn't look up the auction but based that on HemiRamblers observations]

4. Soviet

Soviet

Probably because this is not an eBay feedback forum.

5. HD74

HD74

The four disc they talk about:
    They specially machine the open carrier to receive a custom made clutch pack which has half the number of plates as a Trac Loc but are twice as wide so they have an equivalent area. They are made of steel and have no friction material (like the Trac Loc does). They use some Trac Loc parts, such as the springs.

I quess the question is do these thing work and for how long?

6. RAY With

RAY With

I am like Tech @BG and I personally have used all the ford posi's and the detroit locker has and is still my favorite over all. There is one seller on Ebag--jchambers who has some reall nice ford parts and also lockers priced right. He is connected to some NASCAR teams and gets some nice stuff and I have received many parts from him and all top rate .

7. HD74

HD74

I'm not looking for feedback I'm trying to find out if this stuff work before I blow hard earned money away, some problem with that?

8. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Ahh you must have already been Emailing him - I didn't see anything about a "custom" posi in the Ebay description. I guess this explains why he doesn't show a good picture of the open carrier - nothing to be seen anyways.

I can't help you for your answers - I've never used one of these nor do I know or even heard of anyone doing so. Still I would be leery about the lack of friction discs. Ford had millions of R&D money and decided they needed clutch material - as did GM & Chrysler and everyone else. So unless this works in some fashion like a Locker (not relying on friction) then I'd be very cautious. I have to wonder - just like you - how long can it last???

For the money - I'd be sticking with some tried and true parts - at least around here for that money or a little more you can get a deal at a swap meet. YMMV

9. nutajunka

nutajunka

In my part of the country/indy/ their are always 9 in. posi/lockers on craigslist. Some cheap some not, but you can check them out before you buy. You only willl be trading gas money instead of shipping prices.

10. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

There is no such thing as an "eBay rear axle," eBay is not a company that makes or sells parts, they are simply a third party that lists items that another person owns.

Kind of like a classified ads paper.

11. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA