Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest SANDERSON HEADERS are junk, who else had problems?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratster, Nov 21, 2009.

1. ratster

ratster

my sanderson headers that broke on me 1350 miles from home. had to borrow some guys cheap welder. called sanderson about them, the lady on phone said my car was running too rich and thats why they broke. sanderson can kiss my crack.

i have over $700. in these headers and i think sanderson should have replaced them.

Attached Files:

2. ratster

ratster

be careful guys they are an Alliance Vender

3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

i would say maybe running lean but not rich??? theres been discussions before about there customer service.....so are they going to do anything?

4. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

How long have you had them? They look pretty rusty for new headers.

5. ratster

ratster

there not new now. they were new when they broke. the car sits outside and gets driven year round. its my daily ride

6. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Looks to me like a poorly supported exhaust system has caused stress and the cracking is a result of vibration.
    you really have to have a solidly mounted system to run that style of header, unless the material they are made out of is really thin, i think the problem lies with the way the rest of the system is mounted.
    The way they are so far out from the heads where the down tube attaches is the root of the problem..simple physics .

It definitely has nothing to do with mixture..so you're right on that level, they are full of shit on that one!

7. ratster

ratster

there not going to do anything about them. i just get pissed when ever i look at them and was wondering if anyone else had problems with there headers

8. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

A majority of the rust might be from him griding down to bare metal to weld them back up. You can kind of the the splatter.

9. ratster

ratster

there is a mount a lil past the turn down and mounted with rubber bushings

10. ratster

ratster

the metal is way to thin

11. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Yup...exhaust too tight. No flex = cracking.

Hide a couple of those flexible braided exhaust pipes under the car so the engine can torque without stressing the next set of headers. The ultimate cure would be a set of factory Rams horns for a driver...but those flexible pipes and thoughtful placement will help a lot.

12. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

You can see rust around all the flanges.

13. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Didn't really look at the last picture, thanks for pointing that out to me. How long have these been on your car?

14. SATANSSHO4

SATANSSHO4

ive seen two set at swapmeets this summer that were the same way.

15. johnnykck

johnnykck

I've used Sanderson Headers on several cars, my own and customer cars and different styles of headers also and never had a problem, they fit good and the quality is alright. I'll keep buying them.

16. Ruiner

Ruiner

Sanderson still sucks either way, most of their header flanges I've seen are warped right out of the box, the material is pretty thin and for what you're paying to have them, you're getting cheap header quality...and bad customer service (or maybe they're magic, because I've never heard of anyone that can diagnose a motor running too rich causing header cracking over the phone)...besides, welds should never crack, ever...especially not in as many places as those things are cracking...to me it sounds like they've got inexperienced folks throwing welds on tubing with improper cooling of the weld afterwards making for brittle welds...I'd expect that kind of stuff from someone making their own headers in their garage, not a company making high end production headers...

17. what happens when you unflange the pipes?

18. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Got the same set @ a swap meet. Guy had over $700 in them and they were Jet-Hot coated as well. Bought them @ Half of what he paid for them. Had to get them rewelded in those same areas. I have not tried to use them, I went to a Hemi Instead

19. ratster

ratster

looks like i'm not the only one with a bad set of sanderson headers

20. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

Similar experience here. One set didn't fit even after a detailed explaination of what parts I was running, and many assurances of proper fitment. The other set went on a car I still have, I the fit/finish kinda suck.

No more for me.

21. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Not an experience with those kind,but when I had the '63 Caddy with stock 390,I was looking in to the headers they were making for the 390/429 Cadillac motors. Customer service sucked,as all they could tell me is that the design was based around a '66 Cadillac,which there are many differences between years and clearances around oil pans and steering boxes an all cars that use the 390 or 429. Apparently,on my Cadillac,I would have had to notch the oil pan to get them to fit. Also,they don't tell you that you need a custom alternator/generator mounting bracket either. I inspected a pair in person,and the headers seem a bit thin to me.

22. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

They seem to be the only game in town for what I was needing, headers for a 270 Hemi. Guess I will keep looking............................

23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

My friend installed a brand new set of block huggers on his SBC and they leaked like hell because of warped flanges. he called Sanderson and they told him to use two sets of gaskets,LOL!!!. he told them if he intended on using double gaskets, he would have bought generic no-name $69 headers, not $300 sanderson's.

24. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Any Lakes style pipes arent the way to go on any rod unless you don't drive your car! It's just a bad design, and most people don't know how to properly mount an exhaust system! It's not Sanderson that's the problem, it's just that style of headers!

25. Rusty

Rusty

Sanderson headers are the best out there in my humble opinion, I would say that the lime fire header is not designed to support a rigid exhaust. Based on the pics it look like the exhaust called the failure

26. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

My dad's car has had Sandersons on it for nearly 30 years. not a single issue.
    I've got sandersons on mine now too, it's never been started yet but they were the only "factory" built that fit my application without modification.

27. Ok, first off I like cast manifolds best. that being said I have run three sets of Sanderson headers, two on Y-blocks one on an FE. Although not this style of header I have had nothing but good results. I don't know about their customer sevice since I have not had to call them, but I don't think anyone can diagnose a fuel mixture problem over the phone. :p

28. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

always had good luck with sanderson headers

29. ratster

ratster

if the exhaust made my headers to fail, then how do i make them work without the cracking? my exhaust pipes have 2 hangers, one on the front and one at the rear. there is no weight on the flange at all.

30. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Not true,I've seen many people run them on rods that they drive alot!