Register now to get rid of these ads!

Project in bare steel: Surface rust prevention

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Nov 20, 2009.

1. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

I have a custom project that I have been working on for about two years now, and it has been in bare steel for most of it. I am wondering if there are any tricks to keep the surface rust at bay. I have heard a few rumors about using CLR or some other neutralizing product, but I would prefer to hear from those with experience. In the various stages of mockup and assembly there are areas that are hard to reach with the sanding method.
    Little help? Thanks in advance :)
    peace.

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Gibbs Oil is an option that you will hear from a bunch of people.

3. J. Clear

J. Clear

Look for a product called Picklex. It works good to remove light rust and leaves a coating to help prevent it. A dehumidifier in the shop also helps.

J.

4. Never2low

Never2low

2nd on the dehumidifier, a little thing, but it helps alot.

5. NealinCA

NealinCA

Another vote for Gibbs. The chassis has been in bare metal for over 2 years, most of the sheetmetal has been bare for over a year. Rusty fingerprints clean off easily with a little more Gibbs and scotchbrite.

I also had the engine sprayed with Gibbs before I painted it. I sprayed it down with brake cleaner to get the Gibbs out of the nooks and crannies...then wiped it down with pre-cleaner...primed and painted with no problems. I will do the same when it comes time to paint the rest.

[​IMG]

Neal

6. bbdiamond

bbdiamond
    from ROY, Utah

Where can one buy this Gibbs you speak of?

7. NealinCA

NealinCA

8. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Thanks mucho for the info! I knew you guys would have the knowledge. I will get some today! :)
    Any issues welding with oil getting between panels?

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

When you get to the Gibbs site and look at the price don't be alarmed. though a little on the high side it's worth at least twice what the price is. You just can't put a price when it comes to keeping rust from your pride and joy. I bought a case of the stuff and when I'm down to a couple of cans I'll order a case again. It's that good.

Frank

10. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Thanks fab32. I wasn't sure how much I needed. I'll go for a case because I also have prized sheets that will eventually become parts/panels and those are rusting as well. That's why I was wondering about people's experience welding after using it. There are crevices and overlaps that would be hard to clean the stuff out of and I like CLEAN metal prior to welding.
    Thanks for all your help.
    peace.

11. jscoma47

jscoma47

I use Gibbs on a lot of stuff and it works amazing... get some!