Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why do T-buckets get no respect?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xlr8, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You have a point but there are certain constants. Things that look right and things that look wrong. A windshield leaning forward never looks right. A grill higher than the cowl always looks bad. An engine sitting too low in front or back always looks bad. Of course these things could be said about most rods. But you see them most on Ts

2. Gator

Gator

3. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

+10

4. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

One of my favorite T's,Ed Iskenderian's '24 T
    [​IMG]

5. ZRODZ

ZRODZ

Now, that's nice! Definitely not ugly.

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Steel rebel - Thanks, I've been doing this stuff awhile, and grew up reading lots of early-sixties magazines. In the interest of fair play, stuff I like about that blue car - perfect blue for a "T"! Wheels, mesh insert in the grill shell, white interior - bonus points if it has matching blue inserts, Cad motor, Headers, lot's of neat bits, just needs some revision. But also plenty cool as it sits. I do have to agree there is a definite "formula" to building these cars. I don't like that thought but it is true. There are certain things that make these cars right, and just as many that make them wrong. In a way, I think that's what keeps me attracted to "T" buckets, because the band of what is plausibly cool is not as narrow as say, a deuce. I hope that makes sense.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  7. freebird101

freebird101

that is one nice T-bucket

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey I did forget to mention that in the time I was off the board this afternoon, I managed to score a vintage fiberglass "T" body! I'll have to sit down and do some research as to it's origins, but I know I have seen ads in early sixties CAR CRAFT for this type of body. What makes it different is that it has a little "flip" at the bottom of the back almost like a stock "T" body. I know that most manufactures of bucket bodies lost that feture by the late sixties, and I'm not aware of any body making them today. One more item for the pile! Damn near enough to build from now.

9. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Let's see pictures. Early fiberglass is kool. Put your stuff together. You know the formula. The late bodies are stretched so much for tall guys you loose something while gaining leg room.
    Gary

10. blown green t

blown green t

T's are cool. I enjoyed my first one and now I'm building a '27 Roadster. This one will have a bigger bed so I can haul a cooler.:)

Attached Files:

11. Does anyone know if the t-bucket in the movie The Choppers is Ivo's ? That car has a great look to it too but is often overlooked in discussion.

12. swimeasy

swimeasy

Fred, You always have a good way of putting things!

13. butch27

butch27

Yes that was Ivo's bucket.

14. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

the man's car!!!!!!!!!!!!
    One cool mo!

Attached Files:

15. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

I'd like to beat this dead horse too. T-buckets are cool, Fiberglass buckets are a good way for somebody to learn how to put together a car. The builder can make mistakes and not actually screw up a good car and as long as it doesn't get smashed can usually get his money back out of it......I mean, Girls have to wear traing bra's before their boobs can fit in a real one........

16. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

This is why when my uncle and my cousins built their T in the eighties,they used glass,lots of nice speed parts,clean back to basics car, but there's a reason they say Ohio is part of the rust belt. EVERYTHING rusts. It was just that hard to find anything that hadn't turned completely to iron oxide already. Today you can look on the net and make a trip to get a body,but then there was no such thing, I suspect this is the reason a lot of northern guys use glass.

17. erlomd

erlomd

I like em'....but just cause they are older than 32 fords...doesn't mean that they were the first hotrod....as far as I know...32 fords on model A body's were the first real hot rods.....either way I believe that they are like any other hotrod....they can be either ugly as sin or really cool, regardless of fiberglass or steel....it just seems that ugly as sin seems to be more common.
    since ive never seen one the way I would think would look cool...this is what I picture..
    supercharged Flathead ford, lakester headers, brass radiator, brass headlights, lantern tail lights, turtle deck body functional doors (for the heck of it) Auburn Dashdash pannel, radir wheels and motorcycle tires up front, pie crust white wall slicks in back on halibrand wheels, quick change rear end, buggy spring and slammed to the floor with a short windshield. Must be black and must be pinstriped....that preety much sums it up!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  18. von Dyck

von Dyck

Butch27. Bill Roland, a L.A. fireman owned it in the "Choppers" movie. He had the color changed from red to a very deep blue.

19. Here's my old T - I wouldn't class it as a bucket but it was cheap & fun.

Style & inspiration from Jim Rathman & Jack McGrath.

Attached Files:

20. butch27

butch27

von dYke: You're right . I wondered why it looked so dark in my black and white DVD version. It was dark blue.

21. Gator

Gator

22. This is going to come across as harsh, but...

WTF? You sure have an odd mishmash of stuff that wouldn't "fit" together, aesthetically, unless you're going for your own take on the stereotypical ugly-as-sin Bucket T.

Also, "32 fords on Model A body's"? Huh? "Ardun dash panel"? What?

23. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

where do you keep getting these pictures of goofy cars?

24. erlomd

erlomd

obviously we all have our own interpretations of what is cool and what isnt....thats why we have these forums any way right? whats your version of a nice t bucket then?
    it was a typo but 32 ford frame on a model A body, from what I hear and have seen in vintage magazines and going to museums that was considered one of the first true hot rods....and Auburn Dash dash pannel is self explanitory.

25. Bluefoot

Bluefoot

well i had one back in67 or 68 and it was steel body,with 283 and p-glide, was fun car, i still like them but perfer the ones with turtle backs on them instead od truck bedsas long as they'er hot roders at heart i don't give a chit what they drive--as long as they don't run over me ,lol

26. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Hot rods have been around since cars. Probably even before! :D

Arguing over what the first "true" hot rod is seems to be a semantic-filled conversation to me.

27. there in his Thing To Do folder!!! :D:D:D

28. Von Franco

Von Franco

No just look up two GAY FUCKS in GAYASS ,T'S.............................

29. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Who are obviously reading the wrong magazines. Those guys just like shiny stuff. They probably both own a bass boat collection.

30. 39studebaker

39studebaker

just dont care from them personally but i do appreciate the work someone puts in it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.