Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Here a Cammer that I got photos of .

Ok guys whats the history here !

Attached Files:

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Willie Davis' hot rod that Gary B. won the 1971 USAC sprint championship in.

3. ZOOOM

ZOOOM

I know it's not a sprinter.... but it IS a cammer...
    [​IMG]

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

And to this day he's still half deaf in his left ear! :D

5. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Completely worth it.. where do I sign up! :p

6. baldtireman

baldtireman

I need a tapered axle Halibrand rear for my car. Anybody have one they are willing to part with inexpensively,please? John S.

7. Coyote X14

Coyote X14

I have a 3" tapered axle. steel.

8. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

There were about 100 cars on the road course and about 15 oval cars there.
    It was an unadvertised, non spectator event, but a lot of people found out about it and came out to watch. Great weekend! I'll post some pix over the next couple of days on my websites.
    Looking forward to seeing the finished Spencer/Thomson Spl.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

You were noticed, Mac. I got a photo from a guy in Texas who was thrilled by your car.

10. Buildy

Buildy

It should be mentioned that Willie Davis switched back and forth in 1971 between 4-cam Ford and Chevy Small Block during the season. Pretty sure they ran the small block Chevy at Williams Grove.
    I know they ran the Ford at Reading and pretty sure at Selinsgrove. I was at all the 1971 races at the Groves and Reading in 1971-but it`s been awhile ago, without notes or photos.

11. racer5c

racer5c

not a sprint car but it is on a related note, Willie is building a replica of the Hill and Davis Streamliner he built that had a record at Bonneville if anyone wants pictures of the mock up let me know

12. I have one.....axle only. It's a 3" dia. and believe it's a 50" with a 1" offset. The bolts and washers that hold the hubs are there too.

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Another cammer dirt car was the Jim Robbins/Grant King machine. Shown here with Bruce Walkup trying to hold off Mario at Sacto 1967.

Attached Files:

14. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

And maybe THE baddest cammer of 'em all...

Attached Files:

15. Crudbro

Crudbro

Racer 5c, you probably raced at Portsmouth Raceway Park which is near the old Portsmouth Speedway but a different venue, or possibly Southern Ohio Raceway located east of Portsmouth. The old track closed in 1962, PRP opened in 1990. By the way, were you running with USAC in the 90's. The midgets and wingless sprints made a couple of appearances at PRP in the 90's.

16. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'jjones, 'Definitely no arguement there!

Attached Files:

17. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'And Rootie, 'How about that Bruce Walkup. He gets the ride in the first dirt car to utilize the Ford DOHC. 'Does a great job by winning the pole at a couple of races but, loses the ride to Jim Malloy the follwing year. It didn't matter, Bruce had one helluva personality and talked his way into the ride with the Cleaver-Brooks car which was a new Don Edmunds car with a turbo-charged Offy. The car later became the Thermo-King Gerhardt for Gary B. in 1970.

Attached Files:

18. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

....'When Jim Malloy was hired to replace Bruce Walkup for the 1968 season the car was renumbered and repainted and became one of the most beautiful dirt cars ever. 'Wish we had some better pictures of this car..........

Attached Files:

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

'Homeboy' Jim Malloy, one of the few out of Colo. to make it to the "Big Time" Lost him waaay too soon.
    Artimis has some pretty good shots of Malloy and the cammer at the H/H 1968:
    http://www.artemisimages.com/gallery.aspx?photomode=3&categoryid=4263

Attached Files:

20. baldtireman

baldtireman

Call me please about the tapered axle .412-651-6127. Thanks John S.

21. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

....'Thanks for those, Rootie. 'What a car! 'As long as we're discussing that great Ford engine, I took these last October at the Legends of Ascot at the Perris Auto Speedway. This was a new Grant King car that Clint Brawner was supposed to be putting together for Roger McCluskey to drive. Clint passed away and the car sat for years, was never finished and ultimately was sold to a local Phoenix guy who has finally finished it and brought the car out.

Attached Files:

22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Wow! now that's what you call a real Time Capsule.

23. SteveE

SteveE
    from Ohio

24. I attended an Oldtimers' event at Winchester in the mid-'90's and A.J. Watson had this car there (sorry about the photo and the cage :)). I remember it being incredibly loud just idling around the half mile.

Attached Files:

25. This pic has probably been shown in this thread already.

Attached Files:

26. Bob Coutts

Bob Coutts

In responce to all of the talk about the Don Brown Rabbits the forth car that you guys talk about was built by Kenny Weld and it is somewhat different than the Rabbits. The frame is cut down on the left side and never had power steering the roll cage is not a bolt on, it is intrigal with the frame, also has torque arm and driveline guard built as one piece. Bought the car off ebay in Indania. It is the car that was in Texas. And those guys really screwed it up. It is sitting in my shop now as a roller after 8 months of rebuilding. Might showup at Bellville in Aug or Calistoga in Sept.

27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Well... in honor of page 409.. I was looking for a Sprint car powered by a 409 Chevy engine. But couldn't find one.. I'm sure there was one or two.. But untill you fella's drag a picture out... This picture I took at my Ol' mans shop tonight will have to do! :D

That's a big 425 H.P. 409 c.i. Dual Quad Chevy on the stand.

After the 327 Chev.. The 409 is My second favorite engine ever made.

J Shaw

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  28. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

Beautiful...except for the beadlocks.
    That's just so wrong.

29. I couldn't agree more.

30. Crudbro

Crudbro

Attached Files: