Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new land yacht - '62 Newport

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scottybaccus, Sep 12, 2009.

1. brandonwillis

brandonwillis
    from Tucson AZ

not a big mopar, but ive never really looked at these cars to much, there sure is a lot of parts id like off it...

2. jimb0

jimb0
    BANNED

the grills on those beast are amazing

3. Kerry67

Kerry67

Love them BIG Chryslers. I know it is way out of HAMB standards but I would love a 70 Newport because they remind me so much of my dad. That is what he had when I was growing up and he loved that car.

4. moparted

moparted
    from upstate ny

my 66

Attached Files:

5. storm king

storm king

We're about to go pick up a very clean '66 two door. It was the car my Dad did his last engine rebuild on, for a friend. He stopped driving it a couple of years ago, and called and said he thought we'd like to have it, so he's giving it to us! I can't wait to have some time to go pick it up. My Dad knew how to build a big block Mopar! (He built a pretty mean torqueflite, too!)

6. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

The wagon is entirely black at the moment.
    Wheels are Supremes by US Wheel from Summit. The tires are custom made dual pinners in size 235/60/15 from Diamond Back Tires.

[​IMG]

I'm planning on painting the roof metalflake red. Not sure yet about what to do with the body.
    Here's a photoshopped flaked Red & Black version of the wagon,

[​IMG]

7. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

That looks great. Nice contrast, but still sinister.

The wheels look like a bargain. Much less expensive than I expected.

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

There is a company on the east coast called Andy Burnbaum mopar parts, Boston, Mass. I think. If anyone can set you up it will be him. I don,t know if he does internet though, but he used to advertise in Hemmings alot. If all else fails P.M. me and I'll dig up his catalogue with contact info. P.S. The one I mentioned a few days ago is still there.......crap, the wheels are turning......

9. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

just scored a 1962 300 from hamber coldwar [ banned ] has been sitting since 1978 in a dry garage. White witha red interior. doing re-build on torque flight trans, brakes all around. wierd mechanical ideas on these things ! front brakes are dual cylinder. this car was driven by a gin head cougar , got a stoved front fender then parked. we got a couple dry western fenders for it. what a cool factory custom ! needs very little body mods. mine is a 4-door hardtop. some of the ones on this thread are stunning, inspire me.

10. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I finally went and picked up this car on Saturday. Good news...Brutus Lives!

Have the title in hand, but no keys, so I drilled the trunk lock to see if Jimmy Hoffa or 50 kilos of pot might be inside. (rumor has it previous owner was jailed for dealing) Nothing scary, but did find a full set of wheel covers, two spare headlight bezels and a good spare wheel and tire.
    I pulled the ignition switch and was able to pick it in short order to replace it with an new lock cylinder & key. Dropped in a batery and tried cranking it. It seemed to be ready to run, but was getting no fuel. A few tests and tricks later revealed a bad fuel pump. I replaced that and most of the fuel lines, filter, etc. on Sunday and got this pig running. It was starting with a touch to the key after getting a little fresh fuel in the tank. Engine ID was confirmed as the 265 HP, 361 c.i. big block with a 2bbl Stromberg on top. We cleaned out most of the garbage to assess the interior. Needs a new bench, carpet, sun visors and some floorboards. Door panels and headliner are good, dash pad is decent, most of the windlace is rotten, but much of the weatherstrip is OK.
    Found a source for replacement lenses, but need one tail light assembly. Removed a tach and some autometer gauges the PO started to install, but never finished. I discovered some cooked wiring that looks to be related to the dash lighting transformer. Most of the dash seems dead, but the guages are working and the dome light comes on with the rear doors. There was only one blown fuse for the cig. lighter.
    With the car firmly strapped down to the trailer, I got brave enough to push a few buttons on the shifter. It went into every gear OK, with enough force to squat the suspension, so I think the trans is healthy. Reverse lights worked. I was amazed to learn that these push-button automatics have no Park position. Is it really just Neutral and the parking brake?
    I put all the dash back together and took it to the farm. I just let it roll off the trailer but did fire it up and drive it a few hundred feet to parking. No brakes to speak of, so I need to research a disc brake and master cylinder upgrade.

Anyone that can school me on the inner workings of the dash and brake stuff will really find me in their debt. I could really use some pointers and any information on sources for parts and these things.

Sound off or shoot me a PM, please!

11. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

The dash-lighting is very special is these years (1960-1962).
    It's called 'electroluminescent' and works by way of transforming 12volts upto around 300-400volts to make the paint glow.
    Most likely the transformers are shot in your car. I think you'll find them mounted on the left side under the dash.

As for the brakes, there are some companies making discbrakes for these cars. www.Ecihotrodbrakes.com or AAJBrakes for instance.
    I've recently almost completed my own home-built discbrake system on my '62 wagon mainly because I don't want to have smallish 10.75" rotors most of the brake kits have on this heavy car. Now I have '73 Chrysler rotors which are 11.75" in diameter.

But building your own brake-system based on existing parts come with their own set of challenges. If you don't have a lathe or mill you're better of buying a complete bolt-on setup.

[​IMG]

12. 440shawn

440shawn

Hey Bro! love that Chrysler.

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Awww now I have to go check if the other one is still for sale.........

14. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Yep, put that sucker in Neutral and yank the brake. :D Welcome to mopardom.

In the immortal words of Don Henley, "You can check out anytime you like - but you can never leave!"

15. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

That's very cool. One of the cars I've always wanted was a big ole concave slab sided Newport. Nice to see the car go to someone who will put it back on the road (yea, I know past the 64 cutoff).

Have fun keeping gas in that thing!

16. 73RR

73RR

17. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Thanks guys! I have leads on brake upgrades and the dash lighting, but need more info. Any hands on details would really help.

My dad bought a new '73 Fury III when I was 3 years old. I drove that car from the time I got my liscense until I was about 23 years old. I really miss that Tank. It was a 2 door, police package car with a 400 and 727B. Best brakes and power steering I have ever seen. Updating this car to 1973 brakes would be just fine in my book.

18. Tailight lenses are high dollar pieces, they tended to sun fade and not many reproductions if any were made for the aftermarket/as spares.

19. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

That's no joke!

I have found all the lenses offered, but the tail light lenses run between $125 and $185 each. Back-up and front marker lenses are under $100 per pair. It will run $400 for all.

20. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Oh, about the dashlights,
    try and disassemble the light-switch first as it may have corrosion inside well enough to block any current flowing through to the dashlight transformers.

21. sololobo

sololobo

Newport News!! Outstanding, loving that car!! ~Sololobo~

22. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

very different and very cool!

23. If that power transformer turns out to be bad, Jim Rodebaugh in Ochelata, Oklahoma has them for the '66-'67 Charger (same electroluminescent lighting in it), but I'm not sure if it is the very same part. Last I heard, he was rebuilding these power units. His link is below, hope this helps you out. Jim has built some amazing cars, including a one-of-none '67 Charger convertible, and a replica of the 1964 Dodge Charger show car.

http://www.rt-eng.com/mediawiki/index.php/RTE_E_Body_Services

24. 73RR

73RR

25. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

You might want to check out the repair section at the Imperial club website. Lots of good stuff including scans of factory tech training handbooks.

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Electrical/EL/index.htm

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Electrical/EL.htm

Also you might find that your Chrysler still has the e brake on the end of the transmission. Since this is your Park it needs to be 100% unless you carry a set of wheel chocks. Seems to be an antique system but easily renewed and adjusted to keep you mopar where you put it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  26. Weasel

Weasel

Also check out www.allpar.com for anything Mopar related and parts sources.

27. shuweet61

shuweet61

Love them 60's MOPAR

28. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

The dashes on those were really cool, and I love the trunk lines on the big Mopars from that era.

29. love it, awesome ride!

I am thinking low deck stroker - 400 block, rotating assembly from 440 source - keep it looking like a 361, maybe a set of long rams (short divider wall) and go scare the local Chevies! :D

30. VonDad

VonDad

Had one 35 years ago when me and the wife were dating. Have been looking for another since.

Great score. You'll love driving that car.
    Wanna sell it just drop me a PM.

Enjoy
    VonDad