Register now to get rid of these ads!

New cam for desoto hemis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EARLYHEMIBILL, Nov 14, 2009.

1. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

Does anyone actually make a new cam core for the raised block desotos? I'm on my third Desoto engine and am stuck using a regrind again. The last one was done by Crower and they kept the lobe centers at 120 degrees. Not exactly the ticket for high RPM power.

2. Donny Johasson does...new blanks, not regrinds...roller or flat tappet...name your grind...

3. 120 deg lobe sep.......nastee haha !!

Yep, Donny is your man....better get in fast, hes a busy guy!!

Rat

4. Ron In the SHOP

Ron In the SHOP
    BANNED
    from california

YES,
    WE HAVE THEM.

The same as what we have been making with new updates for the last 40 years.

DODGE
    DESOTO
    CHRYSLER

long nose or short nose.

cast iron core or steel core

street or race
    nitro or gasoline...

we make them all

just give us a call

with a new name

same 'ol DONNIE Johansen

and a little bit of mee too

CONTRERAS CAMSHAFTS....
    SHOP phone...909-597-5950
    Chino, California.

5. There you have it, folks...from the horse's mouth so to speak :D

RON IN THE SHOP - PLEASE, do not be a stranger! Many people are in the dark, trying to resolve DeSoto cam issues, and some of us have been trying to spread the word about your Shop. Perhaps you might consider spreading the word on this Site, about your DeSoto cam capabilities. I, for one, spent over a YEAR on the computer trying to find ANYthing in the way of a new cam for my DeSoto. Jim at Racer Brown finally turned me on to Donny and the boys. You, for the DeSoto guys at least, are a "Light in the storm"...a BIG WELCOME to the H.A.M.B. Web Site...:D

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  6. 73RR

73RR

Welcome aboard !

7. Hey Ron welcome to the HAMB !

If you can pls do an intro about yourself, your biz and what you guys can/cant do. Not only will it halp you/us it will also save you time answering questions on the phone hehe.

I just got my hyd roller from Donnie - it looks super nice, cant wait to finish this engine aand see what she sounds/runs like hehe

Rat

8. Ron In the SHOP

Ron In the SHOP
    BANNED
    from california

and for those that wonder,

we can put a cast drive gear on a steel core.

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

awesome!!!

10. Hey Ron - welcome on board!

I've been working with Donnie for quite some time on the DeSoto cam that Rat just received. Donnie seems to be excited about the new company, new people, more resources, etc.. I look forward to getting a new 392 roller from you guys - just as soon as you have the new batch of 8620 blanks done. Donnie will give me a call when you're ready -- and I'll have the cast-iron graft done as well.

You guys should also consider making more of the Flathead/Ardun 8620 billet blanks - there are quite a few racers that could use a good source with reasonable prices for these engines.

Take it easy . . . looking forward to working with you and Donnie into the future!

Dale

11. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

November 30 1960. End-o-De Soto.
    Dec 1 1960 Long live De Soto

12. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Good to know great machinists are helping out DeSoto fanatics. THANKS! Man, they were ALWAYS good cars. Styling went a little sour under Keller, but from '55 through '57, they not only had Hemis, they shed their ugly-duckling down and really came into their own.

13. murfman

murfman

Why was he banned?

14. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

While researching cam options for my 330 Desoto I came across this thread. I know this is an old thread, but

"Why was he banned?" (Ron in the Shop)

Who would you use to regrind your Desoto Cam?

15. Just call Donnie Johansen at their new location:

Contreras Camshafts
    1327 S Lewis St
    Anaheim, CA 92805-6431 map
    Phone: (714) 533-6033

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I just ran across this thread now. The supposed lack of cam cores was putting me off desotos. Good info.

17. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

I did get one for my 341 from Contrerras. 282 X .474" with 112 lobe centers. The base circle was very small and I ended up having to mill off the lifter bores a bit to keep the crossbar on the lifters from bottoming out on the block.