Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hydraulic Experts, Will a repaired floor jack be as good as new?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by countrysedanman, Nov 14, 2009.

1. I have 2 Michelin 3.5 ton speedy lift jacks, Both are about 4 years old, and both will lift nothing more than my riding lawn mower. I see no visiable leaks on either one, and they have no rust or neglect on the outside. I really dont trust either one to lift my wagon, so can they be repaired? Is this a common issue with a michelin or does it have something to do with the rapid lift? There is a hydraulic shop a town over from here but I have no idea what it would cost to repair these. Any thoughts. Thanks

Brad

2. garyf

garyf

Do a search on the garage journal for floor jack repairs.There is one there on hein werner jacks.If they are china made, search for a scrap metal buyer.

3. Idlzruf

Idlzruf

I pulled a hein werner model gg jack out of a gas station scrap pile 200 bucks later it was as good as new that was 20 years ago it has served me well it has been ridden hard and put away wet it has a leaky seal now but still soldiers on.most jacks today are throw away

4. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey COUNTRY...first check the floid level, believe me it can be low. but to answere your question. absolutely they can be rebuilt, as good as NEW! also use hydrolic jack fluid only...POP.

5. TysonGreenfield

TysonGreenfield

Atf will work too.
    Tyson

6. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

I know Good ones can be rebuilt like a Walker or black hawk etc. but was told the china aren't worth doing or they can't get parts for them . I have a few sitting in shop and haven't decided what to do with yet. My Cornwell has been doing its job for years now

7. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

The problem with the cheap "China" jacks is you can't rebuild them. The cylinders are welded together so you can't replace the seals or O rings. You'd shit if you knew how simple those things are built. I went to work at a hydraulic shop after high school, I will NEVER crawl under anything without jack stands now! $2.00 rubber O ring basicly all that keeps it from loosing pressure and dropping car on you. Seriously, buy a good jack!!

8. I will double check the fluid level tomorrow, but I when I checked them earlier this summer they were ok, I will also check to see if the jack comes apart to let me know if it can be rebuilt. Do you check the level with the jack in the lowest position? I hate to give up on these jacks, they have a nice wide base, and lift 22 inches but if they are junk they are junk.
    Thanks for the help roadrunner, it seems you helped me sort through a wiring issue this summer to, hope I can help you out someday.

Brad

9. Over the last ten years I have had a few different jacks. Most of them shitty, I have a craftsman rapid rise jack, it's a complete POS. I've also got a non-rapid rise craftsman that is a soldier. I've had a few other brands as well that I've chucked over the year. Now I've just got the two craftsman, the snap-on, and the harbor freight. About two years ago I bought a USED harbor freight 2 1/2 ton jack for 30 bucks off CL it's pretty old. But it's never failed me in the 2 years I've had it. Just recently I was given a Snap-on YA700. It's really stout. I've only had it about six months but just the other day it started acting up. I'm pretty sure it just needs fluid as the guy said it was acting weird and he hadn't used it in a while. Even if I have to spend $200 bucks fixing it. I think it's a good deal as I have seen used ones in pawn shops for $300 bucks.

10. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

That's no shit! I was a young punk who didn't know better then.

11. Mark T

Mark T

Brad, With your mechanical ability you can rebuild it yourself, they are very simple. I rebuilt my Hein Werner jack years ago and it still works great.

12. Hey Mark, hows it goin? My mechanical ability is in question tonight, I was trying to get my sled ready for the vintage grass drag next weekend and pulled the handle right off the recoil! Fouled the plugs too. If this jack will come apart do you need just standard parts store type orings and seals, or where can you get parts?

Brad

13. 61bone

61bone

The original question of "if it will be as good as new when rebuilt?", the answer is yes. If it was a POS when new it will still be a POS, but if it was a good jack, it will still be a good jack.

14. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

I have been in the tire business for close to forty years so over that time I have had more than a few floor jacks Walker,Lincoln. Mac China you name it. I have never had any luck repairing them. I have replaced seals and had several different Hyd. Co. try rebuilding them. Now I buy quality jacks 6 at a time and after a few years of use I replace them.

15. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

rebuild definitely!!! it will not be that expensive and if is just get a new one.

My dad had a Snap- On that was destroyed in a fire, he shipped it to them, they "refurbished" / rebuilt it (for free) and it is as good as new!!!!

16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Had a Nationwise(remember) jack rebuilt 30 yrs. ago and still going strong........