Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Hidden Agenda" Turbo Model A coupe rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 100mph WHEELSPINNER, Mar 21, 2009.

1. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

I never have talked to this guy. Im not sure who it is. If hes on here have him pm me.

2. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

Fronts are 5.00 16's
    rear are 7.50 16's

3. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

if you do the turbo blanket, a vent and another firewall you should be fine, turbos get hot but i wouldnt think you would be going on long hauls with it and even if you did as long as you keep your foot out of it for the most part you should be fine. the only thing i would say is to get the turbo as close to the vent as you can and then hide another vent to let the air out maybe at the bottom? i donno but you should be ok turbos are about the only thing i am good at, what do you think it will run?

4. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

I am venting it out the bottom. The bottom will be completely open. I will be going on long hauls. I drive my crap everywhere. Like you said though. It wont get real hot untill you foot gets in it. I am shooting for 9's in the 1/4. Should make the power. I will just have to shift it and get it down the track.

5. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

you will be good to go man dont sweat it:cool:
    are you going to intercoool it? and i would think about getting a turbo timer if your going to be in a high boost range

6. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Since when is that a bad thing?

Especially in a hobby that tends to make small fortunes out of large ones . . . . . . .

7. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Like someone on here mentioned before, about venting the heat...........

Don't fight the natural airflow, ( with fans, etc...) , unless you absolutely have to....

Think: Chimney, not an exposed one, mind you, but if you shape the flow path inside, where the convection flow causes a velocity increase towards the top, it will vent naturally at low speeds and at rest...............

As far as the bottom being completely open.............I think, at speed, it would not vent........

I would venture to say that if you made some type of venturi / undertray device, a la Formula 1,.............ONLY in the area of your "opening", it would create a low pressure area at speed, and help promote the airflow, from the "higher pressure" cowl area, to the lower pressure , venturi doo-dad area under the car................

Like I said, not a complete undertray or belly pan, just some device around the lower opening.

Some more heat control, in conjunction with your turbo blanket, would be to use the shiny header coatings, on the inside of the panels, for your turbo enclosure.............( they may have already been mentioned).

Good luck!

I'm diggin' this build!!!!!

8. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

I am trying to think of everything and know at the same time that its impossible. At first I am running it as simple as possible. I am leaving room for a fan but not adding one till I need it.........If all else fails I will just buy 2 of them suits that they use to check on the volcanoes and call it good.

9. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

:Dhaha i like that idea

10. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

I would rather drive around set on fire than be in a piss slow hotrod. Kinda defeats the purpose.

11. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

thats true but you should be fine are you intercooling it? you might want to look at a air to water intercooler. or you might be able to rig up a intercooler sprayer to nuke a intercooler hidden somewere?

12. 1991Syclone

1991Syclone

13. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

This thread needs more pics :D

14. 20th Century Chevy

20th Century Chevy

Always have liked that car.......... I think the last time I saw it was when you came up with us to ET Raceway.

15. gonmad

gonmad

Ok, we (or at least me!) got to have an update on the beast!!

16. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

I have been super busy with my design buisness. Here are some pics of the motors.

[​IMG]
    motor (brodix al. heads painted black.)

[​IMG]
    fuel rail needs some camo

[​IMG]
    fuel pump

[​IMG]
    hose clamps

[​IMG]
    exhaust

[​IMG]
    expansion tube

17. brandon

brandon

how well will a belt drive pump work on the street...?

18. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

FlamedABone was awarded the "Yay-Hoo" cup @ the HAMB drags last year for having the quickest car to be driven to the drags.
    Check it out..........

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=5884

I really dig the effort you are taking to hide everything. Using the the oil cleaner housing to hide the blow off valve is genius (are ya gonna plumb it?) I also like the way the air cleaner hides the plumbing for the blow through carb.

Keep up the nice work & be sure to drive it to the HAMB drags next year. You could be a contender?

19. gonmad

gonmad

WooD!!
    Awesome man, thanks for the pics!
    What are you going to do on the fuel line? Cloth wrap or what?

20. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

Well find out. They say that its completely streetable. I just hate electric pumps.

21. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

How did I manage to mis this thread for so long? Awesome idea to hide the power maker.

22. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

This sounds like just exactly what Im building the car for. Should keep people at the track guessing. "I just pull this old 283 out of a grain truck. It runs great." ha ha ha
    Can I change tires when I get there and still be allowed in? I hate to drive all that way on slicks....(i will If I have to)

23. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

I have been thinking about what to do here. Maybe a wrap like header wrap or something. I thought about a little sheetmetal cover that kinda looks like a heat shield. Im looking for ideas.

24. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

I am putting cowl steering on this project and cant find a 40ford steering column that i can cut up. I have a real nice wheel and dont need the steering box. What years of columns will work?

25. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How did I get drug into this?????;)

Love your little car, I bet it will make some power... Hope you can drive her to Joplin for a shot at the title.

Good luck, -Abone.

26. Hmm my OT cars went 10.00@133 and 9.44@144, I might want to go for this crown.

27. This is neat. I can't wait to see it run at MoKan.

28. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

see ya there. I dont want to make any guesses to how fast its gonna be. It has a manual so ill have to drive it. I have a 68 camaro with a brodix headded 540 streetcar. Im figuring more power and less weight. If i can get it down the track it should go.

29. If you shake this car down at US41 post up on here, I'll swing out there and video the passes.

30. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

When you were first talking about this car I just shook my head, I thought it would never look right, like mating a gorilla with a pigeon, But I have to say that it is very well executed, please keep us posted, good job buddy.