Register now to get rid of these ads!

First streetrod nationals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tedley, Nov 12, 2009.

1. What was your first streetrod nationals you ever attended? For me it was in 1975 Memphis. 3300 cars if i'm right. We didn't drive down in a hotrod because we didn't have one at the time . Norm Grabousky was there i think, as a notable.

2. ratrod0

ratrod0

my father took me to the 1972 2nd one. went up with a 32 roaster came home with a 32 5 window.

3. Where was it held, how many cars?

4. ratrod0

ratrod0

it was in detroit MICH.

5. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Memphis, 1972. It was almost otherwordly! Over 1100 street rods (remember this was back in the old days when street rod was a very accepted name for a hot rod) all in one place at the same time. I was just in a daze the whole weekend. It was one of the most exhilirating times of my life. My wife, 8 year daughter drove from Rochester, NY in my just completed the day before 1940 Ford with 425" Buick and 4-speed, together with my close friend Bob in his SBC powered '34 Ford phaeton and Eddie in his 364" nailhead powered '34 Ford 5-window. I'll never forget that trip!

raymay likes this.

6. You mean it was held in Memphis 2 yrs in a row? I felt the same way about my first nationals. Actually, was the first car run i've ever been to. There was nothing like it up here. Not even local.

7. Hot-Rod-Garage

Hot-Rod-Garage
    Alliance Vendor

My dad just called to tell me about this post, he went to the '72 nats in a black 32 5 window and traded a guy from Georgia for a 32 roadster and drove it home. could it be ????? His 5 window was full fendered, vette rearend, slotted mags, 327, very nice car for the times he built himself, traded straight up, the roadster was primo, tan with brown fenders flathead powered with Eddie Meyer equipment, I rode in the rumble seat when he got it home.

let me know if this is the same deal!!!!!!

8. Gator

Gator

1990 in Knoxville, I think it was and the tail end of the monochrome fad, the height of the neon accessories craze, and the beginning of the easter egg look - haha.

I have a few hundred pics I took, I was looking at them not long ago - lots of 'faddish' cars with ugly graphics, square headlights, and the neon/monochrome stuff.

BUT there were also some very tasteful, traditional style cars there too. I was showing the pics to a friend and saying how good taste is timeless. The cars that looked good in 1990 looked good in 1970, and look just as good now. At least that's my take on it.

9. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

St Paul '77. We stayed at the headquarters hotel "McGuires Inn". I couldn't believe how cool it was to have the whole place packed with rods. The car I remember the most was a channeled orange fenderless 32 5w with a "sunkist" orange painted onto the corner of the decklid.

10. Timonium Md. I think early 70s, I was about 15 or 16, that and a friend of my dads took me for a ride in his A coupe. He did a burnout and went through all 4 gears, I ain't been right since.

11. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

The first Australian street rod nationals were held in 1973 at Narrandera N.S.W.

12. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

my 1st Nats was 1972 in Detroit in my 40 coupe. I still have the tee shirt!

13. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
    Al's.C.D.T likes this.
  14. duke182

duke182

75 memphis, i was nine.
    me my dad and two cousins mike and larry in papaw's 67 f-100. crowed but fun.
    larry was a beginning photographer, took awsome pics. still have them in a scrap book.
    great memories to dig out every so often.
    i bouhgt a stroker cap, akeep ontruckin lisence plete frame, and a street is neat styrofoam can cooler. still have them all.

15. Which reminds me...i have 8 mm film of 75 Nats in Memphis. Problem is it's on vintage, fragile 8mm film. I still have the projector to which works.... i think. How can i transfer this to video or dvd?.

16. deucemac

deucemac

Went to the first nationals in Peoria, Ill. Was stationed at Chanute AFB in Rantoul, Ill at the time. Left my half done '42 Ford woody at home and went with a buddy in his "modern" car. Met up with a wild man from the east, by the name of Terry or Tom, who drove an old tub, great fun with him. Walked in that pasture turning in circles absolutely amazed that there would ever be 600(!) hot rods all in one place! Still loed the '34 with injection and the guy squirting through the open windshield to light it off.

17. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Detroit 1972-----1100 cars
    Tulsa 1973-------1300 cars
    Memphis 1975 1500 cars
    Tulsa 1976------- 1800 cars
    Louisville 1994 Lotsa' cars

Attached Files:

18. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

There are companies that can do the transferring for you. It costs a bit, but they usually do a good job.

I've never been the the big Nationals. Best I could do was the NW Nats in Spokane. First time there was '92 as a spectator, then back in '93 with Cword's A roadster, '94 & '96 in my T-Bucket, and '99 & '01 in my '48 Chevy p/u. When the NSRA dropped the Spokane event after 2001 I dropped my membership.

19. rainh8r

rainh8r

I drove my 37 pickup to the 76 Tulsa nats and then went to St Paul in 77. Great trips, no trouble, great people and cars. When they moved to Columbus we stopped considering the trip-not enough vacation. Once the show rods took over from the real street rods in the early 90's it was over for us.

20. chop&drop

chop&drop

Tulsa '76. Seeing that many rods in one place blew me away.

21. pullinlines

pullinlines
    from indy

the first on e i attended was peoria,ill. 1971 my parents was one of the first that started indiana street rod assoc. i was 6yrs old burr haircut and plaid pants WOW !!!!!

22. Tulsa 73. The little details that you remember after all these years is wild. Can't remember yesterday though.

23. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Tulsa 73! Seems like yesterday, cars going up and down Yale avenue to the fairgrounds...Wish those days were here again!:cool:

24. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN

1970 Peoria, still have the Roadster I drove there.

25. ratrod0

ratrod0

thats the one hilderbrand is our last name he still dills in 32 and has had them all but that would be one of the cars he would wont back.

26. hoop

hoop

Memphis in 1971 ,Drove my 40 Ford sedan.

spiffy1937 likes this.
  27. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Anybody here go to the NSRA Nationals in Memphis in 1980 when it was 104-106 degrees every day??? I was there.........brutal......

CB

28. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For those of you that might like to see some earlier NSRA NATS POSTERS.--------Don:D:D

Attached Files:

29. sodas38

sodas38

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hot-Rod-Garage
    My dad just called to tell me about this post, he went to the '72 nats in a black 32 5 window and traded a guy from Georgia for a 32 roadster and drove it home. could it be ????? His 5 window was full fendered, vette rearend, slotted mags, 327, very nice car for the times he built himself, traded straight up, the roadster was primo, tan with brown fenders flathead powered with Eddie Meyer equipment, I rode in the rumble seat when he got it home.

let me know if this is the same deal!!!!!!

thats the one hilderbrand is our last name he still dills in 32 and has had them all but that would be one of the cars he would wont back.

....Wow that's crazy, that many years later and you guys find each other. The power of the HAMB!!!

30. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

i went to all the nationals that were in Minneapolis (until the city wouldnt let em back cause after dark all the street freaks would come out and break all hell loose in the streets and parking lots i guess) and most of the Back to the 50's from the time i was born (1984) to about the age of 10 or eleven (about '94-'95), including some mid-america nats, nationals in Oklahoma City, Souix City, Columbus... i know theres more, i will dig out some of my dad's pics.. but i know i have heard my dad talk about this car! we use to go in a huge group from Fargo/Moorehead area. i couldnt tell you all the different cars his friends had, it was like a revolving door, his buddy brad littlefield had a really nice 34 ford sedan for a long time, dougie lorentz had a really nice red 32 3 window for a while, i remember his friend jim wells had a grey plymouth coupe that had a blown small block in it(?).. anyways.. there is a couple cars i distinctly remember always being around was a bad ass looking black 39 chevy 2dr sedan, it had pinstriping all over the back and i think it was flamed too. then i also remember a yellow 40's chevy pannel, i think the name had something to do with bannanas..