Register now to get rid of these ads!

QUESTIONS: Pros and Cons About 1955 BUICKS?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Nov 11, 2009.

1. 55special

55special
    from NC

+1 what Benzine 440 said, old tech chassis, good cruisers, easy to lower with coils on all 4 corners. Mine is a 264, 3 speed manual.

2. Shawn M

Shawn M

My lever shocks SUCK!

3. I've got a stock(atm) 55 Special 2 door H/T, and can associate with all replies thus far....

If you like the car, and there's generous cash difference, then go for it, but, be warned that if it's primarily all stock, then I'd want alot of $$$ included, purely because it's such a dated driveline/braking system.

Yep, rides great, just the steering, acceleration and braking remind me more of a ship.

Easy to lower, comfortable, great looks, and full of potential, but see above for the bit's I'd change

Cheers,

Drewfus

4. LowCustom10

LowCustom10

The dynaflow is the only problem i have with my 55 special. It needs rebuilt and leaks but i still use it as my daily driver.

5. I too have a '55 Special and the weak parts have been pointed out already.
    If I had the resources available to me 25 years ago, a well stocked salvage yard with the newest car being a '72 the changes would be more period correct. I would swap the brakes for ones from a Super or a Roadmaster, which there were two of them, and use the 322 from the '56 Roadmaster that was there too. A friend had the yard, I had free run of it. We used to swap back and forth, probably spent less than a hundred dollars out of pocket in the nine years I lived out there.

That was then, this is now though. Can't go back in time. And with some of the prices I see today, I don't have a bottomless wallet either. For example, I looked at a 401 nailhead a few weeks back, frozen with rust, missing parts. Seller wanted 2k for it. Maybe he will find a buyer, but not this old guy.

I changed the '55 Dynaflow out and installed a '56 one in it's place almost 20 years ago. But it's getting tired, the 264 is getting tired too. And here in rustland, you don't find donor cars very easily. And as I'm getting older and losing my sense of humor, breakdowns and unobtainable parts really piss me off. The last 322 I found was in Chicago a few years ago, but the seller conveniently forgot to tell me on our phone conversations and e-mails that the block and heads were both cracked. I conned a friend to go a little out of his way to pay for it and pick it up, about 350 miles or so hauling a gooseneck trailer through the south side to find this out. To this day he still pisses and moans about that fiasco.

So, after letting the '55 sit in the garage for the last five years, I came to the conclusion this year to resto rod it. Instead of modifying the original frame, it'll be sitting on a '78 LeSabre frame stretched 6'' along with a 455 and a TH400. A lot easier to get replacement parts for, improved handling and braking a major plus also. Plus, the whole car only cost me 500 dollars, I recovered 100 on scrapping out the body.

I don't feel guilty about modding this car. I saved it from the scrap pile thirty years ago. Just another opinion on it.

6. dannyego

dannyego

like evertone else has been saying the dynaflow sucks and will leak. The nailheads are bulletproof. I drove my 57 cross country with no issues and beat on it as a daily driver for 3 years. Not very nimble but they go over well at the shows. Nothing says class like a buick:cool:. Plus if it has the starter hooked up to the gas pedal like the 57's its funny as hell to watch people try and start your car:)

7. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

I hope he's offering A LOT of cash. That's a nice Buick, but...well, you know.

8. My 60 Buick had the same suck ass set up but we converted it with a little machining and a hand built 4-link and shes in the weeds with and open drive live-Shabang! And your right that seal does suck to replace i've done many.
    ">http://[URL="http://s824.photobucket.com/albums/zz164/marshallvintageautomotive/?action=view&current=IMG_0581.jpg"][​IMG][/URL]

9. oldskolrick

oldskolrick

i have a 55 buick special 4dr 90,ooo org miles 264 with dynaflow runs great motor is bullet proof tranny works fine just not a power house of the line unless you manual shift but once i hit 25 its a rocket .I lowered mine by taking 1and 1/2 rings in front and 1 in rear car dropped 3inch in front and 2 inches in rear rides great and sits perfect good luck

10. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

I've had one for abut 6 years now and it was my daily driver for about 3 years( well till the salt hits the roads) and it done well. all stock and it does 70 mph all day long. It's got some oil leaks now so I park it till I get some time to play with again. Great car. Jared

11. sawzall

sawzall

looks like all the 60 buicks are on the ground

[​IMG]

12. Muttley

Muttley

On a scale of 1 to 10 your car is about a 14, that Buick is about an 8. That dude better be offering huge loot or I'd walk.

13. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

I totally agree, even though I love Starliners

14. Cruiser

Cruiser

On a scale of 1 to 10 your car is about a 14, that Buick is about an 8. That dude better be offering a huge amount of loot or I'd walk. Muttley
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    KIRK - This is really hard, great looking Buick but we all know never to buy or trade a car my it's looks alone. If, the cash is right and you don't plan on making a lot of changes sounds good. If, your going to make changes think how far will the cash go and how much you'll willing spend to make it like you want. I'm not big on stock drive line of that era in Buick's. PhatCaddy idea is a valid statement to think about too. I've been watching the cars in your price range and nothing is moving and were talking about a lot cool rides. :D

CRUISER :cool:

15. KIRK!

KIRK!

Here are some more pics he sent me. I see the value of the Buick at about $15k. Does that sound about right?

The one photo shows the three cars he's looking to trade. I might look into more than one car if he can't come up with enough cash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Invicta

Invicta

Thats the first nice thing i have read from this guy!

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You should go back and read some more then. :eek: I've said many a nice thing and helped quite a few. But then again you've only been here a few months. :rolleyes:

I'd love to see what Kirk would do to this Buick. I'm betting another stellar creation.

18. You might consider a frame swap and suspension comes with it, we used a 77 Cad frame. Cad 472, t- 400, and all the goodies. Good luck, Rags

Attached Files:

19. Id do it without hesitation, but I love Buicks... especially mid 50s ones. And this color combo is killer!!!

20. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

Nice Car! As others have already said.. Nailhead is bulletproof. Dynaflow is definitely sluggish. The dynaflow may make it or break it for you.

21. I see somewhere around $13, although would stretch to 15 if I saw real detail on its bodywork, and how it actually drove/performed.

It appears to be well maintained in good condition, BUT, its principally all stock, so all the previous comments stand.

Electrics, bodywork, interior, driveline, guessing brakes, all stock, vaccume wipers, paint scheme, with the only real 'carrot' to spice it up is it's neat appearance and dual intake.

Again, I believe the 55 special is a factory beauty, just a 'blonde' version with no balls and frustrating to 'love' on a daily basis.

If you want to make it a 'project', then GREAT platform to build on, fresh paint scheme (think wilder than your last), change the rear lights, 'update' the driveline (see Bass's parents 55), and you're on another winner, just expensive if you want to keep it long term.

Cheers,

Drewfus

P.S. if you go anywhere near those other cars the Fonz is going to kick your arse....laughing.;):D

22. elanore56

elanore56

Kirk, I have a 56 and yes, what everyone says is true, the trannys do leak, but they do make parts, the only other con is the closed driveline. mine has been bagged since '05 with no issues, i have two young kids and it make for a great famliy ride. If you ever need and info/ parts feel free to ask..... good luck.

23. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I had a '63 Buick (401) with a Dynaflow, and it didn't have low gear. I could still drive it around fine, it just wasn't a terror off the line.

The tranny's do leak though. I think you can go to a an ST/SP 400 trans, though.

24. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I'm not a stickler for originality, so the Dynaflow and torque tube would be items 1 and 2 to replace.

Car is beautiful man. A little of this, little of that, you really got yourself something. ;) :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. jonahboo

jonahboo
    from NJ

that is a great lookin Buick (i too have a '55) - that said - it is not to the caliber of your Ford

these cars are quite easy to aquire (for a fair amount) - once you sell your Ford - its GONE- is it fesible for you to buy another Buick and do it up in a way that would suit you

i guess for me i see building a car as "the journey" not "the destination" - hokey - yes

but it appears you have the skills